What To Do If Passport Expires

ISPY

As soon as you enter Thailand your passport has to be valid, of course for an extra certain period. But, is it possible to get a new passport at the Embassy during the stay in Thailand. In other words: is it possible to "cut" the visa from the old passport and "paste" in the new one?

The passport of my son (18) will expire next summer.....We hope this doesn't mean that he has to go back to the home country to get a new one....

Does anyone has experience with this situation?

Go to the embassy amd apply for a new passport. Take the new passport and a letter from the embassy requesting the current visa be transferred to the new passport to immigration.

This happens everyday.

Seems simple.... :o

At Chiang Mai Immigration (and I'm sure at all other Immigration offices) there is a window for "Visa Transfers".

I would recommend going to Thai Immigration BEFORE applying for the new home country passport. Fill out the form, start the process, then apply for the new passport. As mentioned above, this is a common occurrence that Thai Immigration is very familiar with.

Just curious, as it doesn't affect me down here, but can you guys go to Chiang Mai and get a new passport at the US consulate there or do you have to travel to Bangkok as well?

Can apply for new passport at consulate. Prob goes pouch BKK, then pouch DC. Can return in 2 week for pick up.