Can You Call Vietnam Embassy In Bangkok?

greenmember

I must apply for a new passport and I need to know what I must bring with me.

I got the phone number in their temporary website http://www.vietnamembassy-thailand.org/vi/nr070623174756/ but no details about the documents needed.

I tried from 2pm to 4pm today the phone number 02 251 5836 but either it was busy or no one picked up the phone.

When it rang and there was no answer, the machine asked me to dial "see lilm" and 1. I did. Rang. No answer. The machine asked me to dial "see lilm" and 1. Rang. No answer. I did for about 10 times in 10 minutes so I gave up. The greeting was in, I guess, Russian English and I can't know which extension number I should press. The Thai language didn't help as I'm not fluent in Thai.

In this site, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80689, someone listed more numbers so I wonder what number is best to call. Have paid 50 Baht for waiting at the rate 2 baht per minute so I need your help to point me which number I should dial in order to speak to the operator there.

Vietnam Embassy--BANGKOK

82/1 Wireless Road

Tel: 251-7202

1. Office hours for public :

8h30 - 11h30 ; 13h30 -16h30 from Monday to Friday.

2. Consular Section Telephone :

66 -(0) 2 - 2515836 (---37, ---38) ext. 112 (115,116) or 02 650 8979

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by greenmember

Did anyone ever talk to any staff in Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok via phone?

Seems that I have to travel 400km to have a face to face contact, then come back 400km to take something if the document is not completed, and come back to resubmit. That doesn't sound great in this century.

Thank you for any response.

Try calling another embassy outside of Thailand...I bet they answer in the U.S.....

I'm sure someone could help you....or give you a working number.

Consulate General of Vietnam, San Francisco

Consul General H.E. Tran Tuan Anh

1700 California Street, Suite 430

San Francisco, CA 94109

tel. 415-922-1577, fax 415-922-1848

[email protected]

http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org

Legag, you're right. I should have tried other numbers also with these 50 Baht. So far I only tried 2 numbers. Will do again on Tuesday. They have this Monday off in lieu. Sunday is the Election Day.

Pumpuiman, thank you very much for your recommendation. How couldn't I think of that?

• 3 weeks later...

I finally went straight there on 8 January 2008 to apply for a new passport. Mr. Quang Anh was smiling and helpful but the lady next to him didn’t smile much. I told him I couldn’t get through when calling. He said “Did you call the right number?” then “We’re too busy to answer phones”.

Below is a note I hope will be useful for other Vietnamese living in Thailand.

Phone: 02-251 -5836 to 8

Consular Section: ext 112 or 116

Monday through Friday: 8:30 – 11:30 and 13:30 – 16:30

What do you need to bring with you?

1. 6 photos size 4cm x 6cm. Background must be white. My background was less white so I had to take express photos at the shops near Plaza Athenee Hotel at 150 Baht.

2. Original passport.

3. Copy 4 or 5 pages of passport: 2nd page having pp number, 3rd page having pp number and photo, 4th page in my case as mine was extended (in Vietnam) for 3 years, page having latest time entering Thailand with re-entry permit stamp.

4. (for reference only, not to submit) Information about your immediate family details: father, mother, brother(s), sister(s), spouse and child(ren).

You must list:

- what you did and where you stayed/lived since you were 15 years old.

- date, month, year of birth of your family members; what they did and where they lived/stayed before 1945 and 1945-1975.

- other details (minority group, religion, occupation, etc.)

What do you need to do?

- Fill in the application for a new passport (2 pages I think)

- Fill in the CV (curriculum vitae) for this application (about 5 pages).

- Fill in application for citizen registration if you haven’t done.

- Pay the fee of 2,200 Baht.

- 3 weeks later, anyone can collect your new passport if (s)he has the receipt.

It took me one hour to complete these papers.

Edited by greenmember