Help With Bangkok Please

jersey200

hi thank you for looking,we are going to be at the centre point silom bangkok 1jan 3 nights

has any one been there ?

whats around ,places ,food thai ect tips about getting about would be great ,

thank you very much in advance ....

we are then going up to chiang mai to renew our vows so getting very excited

got a new ring out of him, any help with chiang mai help also if poss ???confused-smiley-013.gif kind regards wendy married for 21years this year so going to do it again but in dream land not wet uk ha ha ..............come on...

5-10 Minutes from Center Point Silom, you will be at/see Patpong, the most famous spot to experience bkk nightlife and that needs no explaination! Lights, bars, shows, girls, night bazaar.

:o 21 years of marriage? I can't even hold it last for a year.

5-10 Minutes from Center Point Silom, you will be at/see Patpong, the most famous spot to experience bkk nightlife and that needs no explaination! Lights, bars, shows, girls, night bazaar.

:o 21 years of marriage? I can't even hold it last for a year.

patpong, probably the most over rated over priced area of bangkok, avoid it like the plague.

by all means go for a walk round, avoid all offers of special shows, these places exist for one reason only, to rip off unwary tourists, most expats wouldnt be seen dead in the area.

night bazaar, you can buy the same products cheaper in most dept stores such as robinsons, go for a wander round and soak up the atmosphere by all means, but be prepared to haggle.

at least you have access to the skytrain which makes getting round the city easier, under no circumstances pay the taxis fares you will be quoted anywhere near patpong, better to use the skytrain.

i like the silom village thai resturant down that way, nice food reasonable prices.

enjoy your holiday.

Come on now rgs2001uk, the Lumpini Night Bazzar is good stuff. OP, just ask your hotel desk person how to get there, it should be within walking distance of your hotel. Live entertainment, good food and beer (on the coupon system), and shopping (be prepared to negotiate, hard).

Potpong is a must see for every tourist just to say you did it, just avoid eveyone you see. Go to a Kings Castle bar on the street level (Potpong Soi 1), or Electric Blue on Potpong Soi 2, have a drink just to say you did it and get out - they have no nudity, so no worries. For God's sake, DO NOT go to an upstairs bar. Do try some street food if it looks interesting. As said before, avoid all taxis, tuk tuks and motorcylces in the area - and don't buy anything.

For Silom in general, one of the Jim Thompson House restaurants is in Silom for some good Thai food that is more authentic and not too pricey (again, ask your hotel desk person). You can also go shopping at Central or Robinsons. For Western food, there are a number of places around, including Coyotes for Mexican food (plus the French place across the street, I forgot the name). For more local Thai food, go to the basement of Silom Complex and look for Banana Leaf (pretty cheap and very good) – if lunch time during the week, get there early.

furbie,

well you have certainly grabbed my attention, i dont want to turn this into an argument about tex/mex and san fran mexican food. however i would welcome your comments on coyotes food.

agreed about lumpini night bazaar, is it still going? i was refering to patpong night market.

yes patpong is ok to go and have a quick beer just to say you have been there done that, you like i will be well aware of gullabile tourists being ripped off and paying 300 baht + for a bottle of heineken.

i agree with everything else you say, but await your comments on coyotes, the taste buds are tingling already, oh for some chilli rayjanos(spelling) and enchalada.

furbie,

well you have certainly grabbed my attention, i dont want to turn this into an argument about tex/mex and san fran mexican food. however i would welcome your comments on coyotes food.

agreed about lumpini night bazaar, is it still going? i was refering to patpong night market.

yes patpong is ok to go and have a quick beer just to say you have been there done that, you like i will be well aware of gullabile tourists being ripped off and paying 300 baht + for a bottle of heineken.

i agree with everything else you say, but await your comments on coyotes, the taste buds are tingling already, oh for some chilli rayjanos(spelling) and enchalada.

rgs2001uk, as far as Coyotes goes, I feel it is the best Mexican (?-Mex) in BKK. I have tried every well known place, and have not come across anything better. True, Sunrise is pretty good and cheaper, though the quality is not what Coyotes is, and Coyotes tastes better; though it was better its first year of operation. I would compare it to a mediocre - average chain restaurant in the US, which is saying a lot for Thailand. I am looking forward to trying the new branch by Suk 33 - I was told its better.

furbie,

thanks for taking the time to reply. sounds like we are both singing from the same hymn sheet with regards to other places, i wont be rushing back to sunrise either.

funnily enough i did spot the branch on sukhumvit soi 33 as i passed in a taxi last night, so i will heed your advice and give it a go next time i am in the area.

thanks for the heads up.

hi thank you for looking,we are going to be at the centre point silom bangkok 1jan 3 nights

has any one been there ?

whats around ,places ,food thai ect tips about getting about would be great ,

thank you very much in advance ....

we are then going up to chiang mai to renew our vows so getting very excited

got a new ring out of him, any help with chiang mai help also if poss ???confused-smiley-013.gif kind regards wendy married for 21years this year so going to do it again but in dream land not wet uk ha ha ..............come on...

Okay, 2nd honeymoon so I think Pat Pong is out. If you haven't been to Bangkok recently, or at all, you might try the following:

1) Silom Village has a great dinner/classical Thai dance show which is a bit touristy but still pretty good.

2) Dinner cruise from the Marriot Royal Garden Riverside(02-476-0021) or Shangrila Hotels

3) Sala Rim Naam dinner show at the Oriental Hotel

4) For a little spice, go to the Calypso ladyboy show at the Asia Hotel (02-215-0808)

5) Other places to dine include Cabbages & Condoms(Sukhumvit), Royal Kitchen(dim sum) and more.