Surgery Costs Bangkok

junkofdavid2

What are prices like for different types of surgery in mid level hospitals for medical (non-cosmetic) procedures?

If you ever needed surgery in Bangkok or had a friend who had it, please state:

1) The exact type of surgery

2) Surgeon's Fee. ( Please separate cost of surgeon's fee from the hospital expenses.)

3) The hospital where it was done.

My current insurance has a limit of only 45,000 baht for the surgeon's fee (separate from hospital charges), and I'm wondering what types of surgeries this might be adequate for.

(My total insurance benefit is 300,000 baht, but that includes hospital room and tests, etc., and only 45,000 is allocated for surgeon's fee.) :D

I don't go to the most expensive hospitals like Bumungrad, but I do go to the the decent cheaper ones like Saint Louis. :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

What are prices like for different types of surgery in mid level hospitals for medical (non-cosmetic) procedures?

Okay..No plastic surgery..just same same but different

If you ever needed surgery in Bangkok or had a friend who had it, please state:

1) The exact type of surgery

Remove of a cyst ( 5 cm diameter) from my left side of my back , scapular region.

2) Surgeon's Fee. ( Please separate cost of surgeon's fee from the hospital expenses.)

Sorry, I am not able to list the detail on the receipt. It was about 7 years ago. That time my dad paid for 4000 Bht (government hospital charged only 600 Bht..Just my dad did not want his (so-called) daughter had a centipede scar on her body so he hired a plastic surgeon to do this operation

3) The hospital where it was done.

A private clinic on Suk Rd.

Second-tier private hospitals are usually not much cheaper than the best hospitals.

But the quality is a lot worse.

So it doesn't make much sense to use them.

Example: gf went to Ladprao Hospital with 1500 B in her pocket. In Bumrungrad this would have been enough for a foreign patient. At Ladprao Hospital, they charged her 2700 B. No itemized bill, and they didn't even know she has a farang bf.

Exceptions: you really save money and still get good care at St Louis (very cheap), Payathai and Vejthani. And, of course, the best and cheapest hospitals are the university hospitals Chula, Siriraj and Ramathibodhi.

Well, I had a carpal tunnel decompression for about 14,000 baht, but that was day surgery at Phayathai 2 (no breakdwon betyween surgeon fee and the procedure..in Thailand there often is not). HOWEVER I had been quoted 50,000 by the pricer hosps like Bumrungrad.

Took a friend's daughter for removal of a large lipoma, 2 nights in hospital and general anesthesia, whole bit came to about 40,000 baht but this was (a) mpre than 5 years ago and (:o at hao Phya Hospuital, similiar in price and quality to Phayathai. Wiould have been easily 100,000 at Bumrungrad.

Also made the rounds for a friend that needed open heart surgery (valve replacement) 10 years back, the pribate hospitals were all quoting 400,000 baht and up, she wound up going to a government Hospital for 120,000 naht.

Prices everywhere have gone up quite a biot recently.

Bottom line, a 300,000 cap on surgery will see you through things like an appendectomy etc but will NOT be adequate for hgiohly specialized things like open heart procedures unless you go to a giovernment hospital.

And regardless of the procuedurem if you wind up spending time in an ICU that 300,000 baht limit wuill be surpassed in the blink of an eye.

Up your coverage if you can. It's always best to do that while you are healthy and have no prior claims as once you claim anything the company may limit your ability to upgrade in future.

Second-tier private hospitals are usually not much cheaper than the best hospitals.

But the quality is a lot worse.

So it doesn't make much sense to use them.

Example: gf went to Ladprao Hospital with 1500 B in her pocket. In Bumrungrad this would have been enough for a foreign patient. At Ladprao Hospital, they charged her 2700 B. No itemized bill, and they didn't even know she has a farang bf.

Exceptions: you really save money and still get good care at St Louis (very cheap), Payathai and Vejthani. And, of course, the best and cheapest hospitals are the university hospitals Chula, Siriraj and Ramathibodhi.

Although I have issues with Latphao Hospital and no longer use them there is no way a patient would spend less in Bumrungrad. The doctor fee itself would probably be 2 to 3 times as high. In most second tier private hospitals you have to ask for a detailed receipt if you want an itemized bill - it is just how it is done here.

Interestingly, I know at least one doctor who gives consultation in both Bumungrad and Saint Louis (on different days of the week).

I wouldn't be surprised if she charges a lot more in Bumungrad than she does in Saint Louis for the same type of consultation!

Any experience on something like that?

:o

I'm surprised all Bangkok hospitals do not provide detailed receipt. The receipt for major abdominal operation at private hospital in Korat provided a full list in either Thai or English.

Total was 44,369

some of the larger items:

Physician Fee 10,000

Anesthetic Fee 7,800

OR medical equipment 5,150

OR medical supplies 3,932

OR and Recovery room 4,500

Patho Specimen 5,300

Medications 4,285

I do not know if they would provide a further break down of each item but for me it is not necessary.

"Medications 4,285"

That is not what is considered a detailed/itemized receipt. Any medication on a detailed receipt is listed by name and price. Each test will be listed by price. Medical supplies in the amount you have would be broken down and listed.

That receipt is what you normally get from a hospital in Bangkok also. But it is your cash receipt. And available in English or Thai.

I have been quoted for upper/lower eyelid surgery about B55K by one of Bumrungrad's best (plus 4-5K for 'medicine/blood test'). This is about 30-50% what it costs in US.

I was corresponding with Yanhee but the doctor became insulted when I asked for qualifications and education (bye-bye!)> Dr at Bumrungrad trained in US and has posted onsite.

My consult is in Feb @ Bum.

I have been quoted for upper/lower eyelid surgery about B55K by one of Bumrungrad's best (plus 4-5K for 'medicine/blood test'). This is about 30-50% what it costs in US.

I was corresponding with Yanhee but the doctor became insulted when I asked for qualifications and education (bye-bye!)> Dr at Bumrungrad trained in US and has posted onsite.

My consult is in Feb @ Bum.

Just don't look at bumrungraddeath dot com before you have the operation or you might change your mind.

What about Piyavate Hospital on Rama ix road for an example of excellent plastic surgery by the best there is for reasonable a reasonable cost!

BB

• 2 weeks later...
Why it isn't possible to access the bumrungraddeath website from Thailand ?

And do you know if all hospitals in Bangkok accept to give you the name of medecine so that you can buy the pills cheaper in a normal drugstore ?

Thanks.

I do not know if all hospitals will give you the name of the medicine but I have certainly been given the name by a Dr at Bumrungrad. They will be told about upselling though just as they are at Raffles in Singapore but at both Dr's have told me to get medecine at the pharma where i work as its cheaper (or free)

By law. patients have the right to know the names of any medications that have been prescribed for them, as well as other details of their medical care. Insist on knowing and change doctors if the one you have isn't forthcoming.

Can also ask at the pharmacy counter and decline to purchase if you like.