1-year Non-o Multi In Vientiane

I want to obtain a one-year non-O multiple-entry visa based on marriage to a Thai national. Has anyone done this recently in Vientiane? Was anything required besides the marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance..

I live nearby and pretty well know what visas can be obtained in Vientiane. Just forget about a Multiple Non-O-Visa. In your case the best what you will get there is a Non-O-Visa for 90 days being married to a Thai. I know of 4 people, all married to a Thai, who have done it this year.

With above Non-O under your belt, you can then extend such a visa within Thailand based on THB 40K monthly Income or by an Embassy Letter in the same amount, or with THB 800K in a Thai bank for 3 months.

I do not want to be too harsh, but the alternative to above is going home to your country and get a Multiple Non-O there.

I want to obtain a one-year non-O multiple-entry visa based on marriage to a Thai national. Has anyone done this recently in Vientiane? Was anything required besides the marriage certificate?

Thanks in advance..

I live nearby and pretty well know what visas can be obtained in Vientiane. Just forget about a Multiple Non-O-Visa. In your case the best what you will get there is a Non-O-Visa for 90 days being married to a Thai. I know of 4 people, all married to a Thai, who have done it this year.

With above Non-O under your belt, you can then extend such a visa within Thailand based on THB 40K monthly Income or by an Embassy Letter in the same amount, or with THB 800K in a Thai bank for 3 months.

I do not want to be too harsh, but the alternative to above is going home to your country and get a Multiple Non-O there.

Thanks for the input....do not worry about being harsh, I am looking for real experience and knowledge. Going to USA and applying for the Multiple Non-O is no big thing, just another airplane ride...I need to do some work on my house there anyway. My only issue right now is time, since my current visa (Non-B with work permit) will expire on 28 December. If all else fails I will just to into Laos and come back on a 30-day stamp...I fully anticipate to be out of Thailand on my next work assignment in mid-January anyway.

For what it’s worth, I concur with the previous post by gzu88bv.

I was just at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane on Monday for my Education Visa. A German man behind me in line was applying for a Non-O Visa based on marriage. I didn't notice what supporting documentation he had with him, sorry to say.

On Tuesday when he picked up his passport he did get the Non-O visa but it was only a single entry. He was told at the counter to apply for an extension in Thailand at his nearest immigration office.

My only issue right now is time, since my current visa (Non-B with work permit) will expire on 28 December. If all else fails I will just to into Laos and come back on a 30-day stamp...I fully anticipate to be out of Thailand on my next work assignment in mid-January anyway.

Just for your info and time constraints, I can also report of 2 guys who got a Non-B-Visa in Vientiane, again valid for 90 days only. Apart from your marriage certificate, also bring along exactly the same paperwork with which you initially applied for the B-visa. In this context be informed that one of these guys received four 90 days B-Visa, before he was told to now bring along tax papers or there would be no more visas.

My only issue right now is time, since my current visa (Non-B with work permit) will expire on 28 December. If all else fails I will just to into Laos and come back on a 30-day stamp...I fully anticipate to be out of Thailand on my next work assignment in mid-January anyway.

Just for your info and time constraints, I can also report of 2 guys who got a Non-B-Visa in Vientiane, again valid for 90 days only. Apart from your marriage certificate, also bring along exactly the same paperwork with which you initially applied for the B-visa. In this context be informed that one of these guys received four 90 days B-Visa, before he was told to now bring along tax papers or there would be no more visas.

Just to be clear, what I am looking for is the Non-O, multi-entry, one year visa....which I assume is similar to what you are referring to as the "four 90 days B-Visa". I am *not* applying for a Non-O Marriage visa...I am perfectly fine with having to leave Thailand every 90 days....my work will have me outside of Thailand for much more time than I am inside. I just do not want to run up against any problems with the "90 days in 180 days" rule associated with 30-day entry stamps.

Just to be clear, what I am looking for is the Non-O, multi-entry, one year visa....which I assume is similar to what you are referring to as the "four 90 days B-Visa". I am *not* applying for a Non-O Marriage visa...I am perfectly fine with having to leave Thailand every 90 days....my work will have me outside of Thailand for much more time than I am inside. I just do not want to run up against any problems with the "90 days in 180 days" rule associated with 30-day entry stamps.

There is a Multiple Non-O-Visa and there is a Multiple Non-B-Visa, both distinguish each other by the fact that with Non-O you are not allowed to work in Thailand, but the B-Visa allows you to do.

Both visas allow you to enter Thailand on multiple times for as long your visa is valid. You can stretch (extend) your yearly visa by another 90 days, if you leave and return the same day one day before the expiry date of your present visa where it says “this visa must be utilized before ………..). This provides you with literally 15 months legal stay in Thailand which is only interrupted by the border runs you have to do every 90 days (however since your work respectively your travel will have you not stay longer than 90 days at a stretch inside Thailand, you do not have to worry about these border runs).

Subsequently, if your visa reads that it has to be utilized before December 28, 2007, I suggest you proceed exactly as explained in the before-mentioned paragraph (do it on 12/27) and you will get another 90 days for free.

I did understand that you want the Multiple Visa, which you will not get from a neighboring country that easily, but rather in your home country. With regards to you time constraint what I wanted to tell you is that the best you will get in Vientiane is a Single Non-O-Visa, if you can prove that you are married to a Thai.

The money I mentioned (THB 40K per month Income) will come into play only, if you want to extend such a Single Non-O or B-Visa within Thailand for another year.

Maybe I safed you a trip to a Thai Consulate.....

There is a Multiple Non-O-Visa and there is a Multiple Non-B-Visa, both distinguish each other by the fact that with Non-O you are not allowed to work in Thailand, but the B-Visa allows you to do.

Both visas allow you to enter Thailand on multiple times for as long your visa is valid. You can stretch (extend) your yearly visa by another 90 days, if you leave and return the same day one day before the expiry date of your present visa where it says “this visa must be utilized before ………..). This provides you with literally 15 months legal stay in Thailand which is only interrupted by the border runs you have to do every 90 days (however since your work respectively your travel will have you not stay longer than 90 days at a stretch inside Thailand, you do not have to worry about these border runs).

Subsequently, if your visa reads that it has to be utilized before December 28, 2007, I suggest you proceed exactly as explained in the before-mentioned paragraph (do it on 12/27) and you will get another 90 days for free.

I did understand that you want the Multiple Visa, which you will not get from a neighboring country that easily, but rather in your home country. With regards to you time constraint what I wanted to tell you is that the best you will get in Vientiane is a Single Non-O-Visa, if you can prove that you are married to a Thai.

The money I mentioned (THB 40K per month Income) will come into play only, if you want to extend such a Single Non-O or B-Visa within Thailand for another year.

Maybe I safed you a trip to a Thai Consulate.....

Possibly so....

I am concerned about trying to get the "free" 90 days for the following reason: what I have in my passport is a stamped "Re-entry Permit". One line of that is "Length of Stay Until" and it is stamped "28 December 2007". Every time I have re-entered Thailand this year (8 - 10 times) my entry stamp is always "admitted until 28 Dec 2007". So I believe that if I try to do an exit/entry on 27 December I am going to end up with the same thing.

Unless someone can give me a positive otherwise, I think for this one I will just do the exit/entry and get a 30-day stamp, and deal with it after that. Likely I will be out on assignment by mid-January anyway...if not I will take a trip to USA and apply for the non-O 1-year multi there.

You have an extension of stay from immigration rather than a visa entry of 90 days so you have used a re-entry permit to keep the extension of stay alive. There is no life after the 27th so you either have to extend again or leave Thailand. You can leave and return on the 30 day visa exempt entry but you should plan to have your ticket out of Thailand with you as they may check you are leaving within those 30 days. This seems to be especially checked on the Cambodia border.

In all cases marriage non immigrant O would require both marriage certificate and copy of wife ID in the local area.

You have an extension of stay from immigration rather than a visa entry of 90 days so you have used a re-entry permit to keep the extension of stay alive. There is no life after the 27th so you either have to extend again or leave Thailand. You can leave and return on the 30 day visa exempt entry but you should plan to have your ticket out of Thailand with you as they may check you are leaving within those 30 days. This seems to be especially checked on the Cambodia border.

In all cases marriage non immigrant O would require both marriage certificate and copy of wife ID in the local area.

This all jives with what I have read from various sources.

I have a flight out of Thailand for 25 January, so no problem there.

Looks like I will do the 30-day stamp...dam_n, I have been in Thailand almost continuously since June 2004 and have never used a non-visa entry.

A friend (TV Member) gets his 12 mth Non "O" in Vientiane but under very special circumstances. I won't go into detail but it is initiated by a letter from the Immigration Office in Nong Khai for what I would call humanitarian grounds.

Yes -- Thai Imm does have a heart.

A friend (TV Member) gets his 12 mth Non "O" in Vientiane but under very special circumstances. I won't go into detail but it is initiated by a letter from the Immigration Office in Nong Khai for what I would call humanitarian grounds.

Yes -- Thai Imm does have a heart.

I have no quarrel whatsoever with Thai immigration...through a couple of one-year non-B multis and a few singles, plus my last two years of being under a work permit, I have had no trouble at all with the immigration folks. They have been backed into a corner by all of these people who think that they have some right to be here and think it is a game to circumvent the rules, and those companies who are exploiting that fact and dumping tons of work on these outpost embassies and consulates.

I am not saying that my reasons for wanting to be here are any more legit than the next guys....but at least I am doing it according to the rules.