Top up scratch card scam from shop!

R123

Last night I stopped by at a convenience store and needed some 1-2-call cards for my mobile so as they only had units of 300 baht, got 3(Xmas busy time for the phone), and as is my usual practice asked the assistant to enter them in my phone; luckily I had checked my balance before going into the shop and when money was being put in the phone heard only 2 "accepted" bleep messages.

However the assistant who had gone to another part of the shop to put in the money showed me he had scratched off all 3 cards; I checked the balance and saw only two had been entered and was even more suspicious when he asked to keep the cards. I declined and left with all the cards and my phone to avoid any confrontation.

Later got someone to show me how to enter the cards and of course was able to discover and enter the card which had not been done.

I forgot the name of the convenience shop; its the one on second road, near the Arab quarter, busy with phone boxes outside it and people making international calls at the front.

I mention this to alert others here to this potential scam.

Seasons Greetings!

Edited by R123

<br />Last night I stopped by at a convenience store and needed some 1-2-call cards for my mobile so as they only had units of 300 baht, got 3(Xmas busy time for the phone), and as is my usual practice asked the assistant to enter them in my phone; luckily I had checked my balance before going into the shop and when money was being put in the phone heard only 2 "accepted" bleep messages.<br />However the assistant who had gone to another part of the shop to put in the money showed me he had scratched off all 3 cards; I checked the balance and saw only two had been entered and was even more suspicious when he asked to keep the cards. I declined and left with all the cards and my phone to avoid any confrontation.<br />Later got someone to show me how to enter the cards and of course was able to discover and enter the card which had not been done.<br />I forgot the name of the convenience shop; its the one on second road, near the Arab quarter, busy with phone boxes outside it and people making international calls at the front.<br />I mention this to alert others here to this potential scam.<br />Seasons Greetings!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

So the scam is really any scratch card company and this same type of scam happens as petrol stations where there's already some money on the pump. You pay the total and the clerk pockets the difference. All to say, better if you go straight to AIS office or some banks like Kasikorn allow you to top up from the ATM.

Phyllis

Last night I stopped by at a convenience store and needed some 1-2-call cards for my mobile ...as is my usual practice asked the assistant to enter them in my phone;

Why do you have the store assistant enter them for you in the first place...kinda lame I would think as they are so easy to enter yourself. Just call it in or SMS it in and no problems. Maybe he/she considered it a "service fee." :o

Just do it yourself.

Easiest way - Enter on the keypad *120*Card_Serial_Number# Then press the dial number button.

Works every time and no need to listen to any instructions in Thai, English or whatever.

The serial number is the one revealed when you scratch off the card. The above instructions also appear on any 1-2-Call top-up card that you buy, just in case you forget. To check your balance after topping up enter *121* and press the dial button. You will also get a confirmation vis SMS.

DM

-thank u tax ex, note to mod can enter the word "shop" between call and scam in the title if that clarifies it better.

-many thanks doctormann I know how to do it now.

and yes jonnie will do it myself in future...

:o best to all for Xmas!

Edited by R123

Indeed, Shell on Pattaya Tai tried to rip me off with the gasoil several times. The last time they tried it, I got really angry and told them I would cal up the Tourist Police. Not only did they fill up my bike with the 100 Baht order, but they filled it up completely. The guy just asked not to call the Police. So if they try it with you, just tell them you're going to call the Police.

Funny, I had the same problem with a 1-2-call card last night. The card came out of my own stock, and was bought from a place that supplies all my cards, I am there at least once or twice a week, so usually no problem with supply.

I tried to enter the code and it was taking a long time to register with their network :D , I tried twice still no go. I checked my credit and it had not changed, so I went on to the next card, that worked, came back to the "faulty" card a couple of minutes later no problem. As it was for my internet card, it was important to get it right. :o It seems to have worked I am still online. :D

I think the system does not like it if you are entering multiple cards quickly, or, they were overloaded about 8.30-9.00pm yesterday. It looks like the staff at the store did not know what to do when something strange happens.

You can choose between 2 types of sim cards from 1-2 call. The sims in the green package are for one month and i believe the purple one is for a year.

Right. My wife has a 1-2-call rolling validity of 1 year every time she tops up her card and I do with my Happy D-Prompt. But I think you have to pay a 1 time fee of 50 baht to get the validity extension?

The Pattaya Tai Shell Station has been stealing money for years. I was there a few years ago to fill up, when I observed an older worker filling a motorcycle and not resetting the pump and before filling the next vehicle. He saw me and said "what you looking-you have some problem?" I sent e-mail to the Shell Oil Company Thailand. They did not respond.

... I observed an older worker filling a motorcycle and not resetting the pump and before filling the next vehicle...

I think this can happen at any station (even sometimes in Farangland) but especially here where the gas-jockeys likely make minimum wage (if that). I just make sure always to have my head turned towards the pump when they go to fill my tank. They are watching for those who don't look to pull this stunt. After they reset the pump, can go about your business. If you look, never a problem, and nobody losses face or money :o

Perhaps the gas station rip off can happen anywhere. The point is that is that happens on an apparently frequent basis at the Shell station located next to the CAT Telephone office on Pattaya South Road.

I only go there when I don't have another choice. Of course you are correct to say to get out and check the pump reading. My point is why buy from the thieves and then have to always distrust them and protect yourself. There are other places to get gas and I have never seen this rip off done at any other Pattaya gas station. I think most other stations have pumps that require resetting once the hose is returned and before an additional amount of gas can be pumped. I wonder if this feature has been disabled at Shell. What would a wise man do? Would he buy at Shell or find another vendor?

The 'scam' with most phone cards now is the length of time given to use the money entered.

I used to get three months minimum on whatever value card I put in - now there is a maximum of one month to use 300 baht and lower periods for lower value.

I had the same problem with 1-2-call then I had the missus call them and find out wha the deal was. For me my current promotion had ended so i no longer got extended time when i topped up. She had them change my plan to a different one and now my time is good for a full year when i add time.

The 'scam' with most phone cards now is the length of time given to use the money entered.

I used to get three months minimum on whatever value card I put in - now there is a maximum of one month to use 300 baht and lower periods for lower value.

If you're with DTac, they have about 10 different plans. Some give long validity and higher call rates, some give short validity and lower call rates....you need to study up on that stuff.

Last night I stopped by at a convenience store and needed some 1-2-call cards for my mobile so as they only had units of 300 baht, got 3(Xmas busy time for the phone), and as is my usual practice asked the assistant to enter them in my phone; luckily I had checked my balance before going into the shop and when money was being put in the phone heard only 2 "accepted" bleep messages.

However the assistant who had gone to another part of the shop to put in the money showed me he had scratched off all 3 cards; I checked the balance and saw only two had been entered and was even more suspicious when he asked to keep the cards. I declined and left with all the cards and my phone to avoid any confrontation.

Later got someone to show me how to enter the cards and of course was able to discover and enter the card which had not been done.

I forgot the name of the convenience shop; its the one on second road, near the Arab quarter, busy with phone boxes outside it and people making international calls at the front.

I mention this to alert others here to this potential scam.

Seasons Greetings!

It amazes me that anyone would invonvenience the staff of a convenience store just to enter a call card's credit on a their phone...and especially 3 x 300's. That's something I'd want to do myself to make sure it gets done correctly.

Why don't they have it instruction in English in the card along with Thai knowing a huge numbers of foreigners using the pre-paid phone? This is small lil thing but they just simply over look. SAD.

I don't know about 1-2 Call, but DTAC topup cards are clearly written in English along with their new SIM manuals.

post-34982-1198344241_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropo

Hey that's great and good for DTac! AIS needs to catch that up or they losing the market. Thanks tropo.

I was lucky enough to start with DTAC over 2 years ago and I've never had a problem since. Their English menu is easy to follow.

Perhaps the gas station rip off can happen anywhere. The point is that is that happens on an apparently frequent basis at the Shell station located next to the CAT Telephone office on Pattaya South Road.

I only go there when I don't have another choice. Of course you are correct to say to get out and check the pump reading. My point is why buy from the thieves and then have to always distrust them and protect yourself. There are other places to get gas and I have never seen this rip off done at any other Pattaya gas station. I think most other stations have pumps that require resetting once the hose is returned and before an additional amount of gas can be pumped. I wonder if this feature has been disabled at Shell. What would a wise man do? Would he buy at Shell or find another vendor?

I have a big bike which I would assume is quite distinctive (black - not too many in patters) and they have tried to rip me off "every time" I use this shell station, I have threatened them with police - complained to the boss - got angry with attendant - let them put fuel in knowing it was 100baht short and refused to pay 300baht and gave 200baht (that was interesting) BUT THEY STILL DO IT EVERY TIME, I like you try avoid using it and I'm sure if we had another station close by this shell would never be used by falangs, a station on pattaya klang would be very welcome.

Why don't they have it instruction in English in the card along with Thai knowing a huge numbers of foreigners using the pre-paid phone? This is small lil thing but they just simply over look. SAD.

I don't know about 1-2 Call, but DTAC topup cards are clearly written in English along with their new SIM manuals.

post-34982-1198344241_thumb.jpg

1-2-Call top-up cards do have the instructions in English on the card.

DM