Restaurant Review: Sunrise Tacos, Close To Nana

canadiangirl

That's good news, but mostly, I for one, order late at night. I think you guys should have your own web form where people can order online, hassle free.

We do appreciate your business.

Big hassle getting a proper web guy for the on-line ordering program. I know at Subway we had to go with 4 different companies before it was done and it added up to be an expensive project.

Might be best in the meantime to get a ordering form that just can be faxed in. That we are working on.

www.sunrisetacos.com

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good news, but mostly, I for one, order late at night. I think you guys should have your own web form where people can order online, hassle free.

We do appreciate your business.

Big hassle getting a proper web guy for the on-line ordering program. I know at Subway we had to go with 4 different companies before it was done and it added up to be an expensive project.

Might be best in the meantime to get a ordering form that just can be faxed in. That we are working on.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Well, not trying to be rude, but for me the online delivery system it's not working for Subway. It shows a big

Sorry,

Delivery is not available.

, even though I can order over the phone. What's that all about?

Thai food is great, but sometimes a girl just craves some cheese!

I gave Sunrise Tacos a try a few days ago, in the Nana location.

I had three soft corn tacos for 139B, with chicken, pork and pulled beef.

The soft tortillas were delicious, but even two layers of tortilla wasn't enough to keep my tacos from disintegrating, and i had to eat most of them with a fork.

The tacos were bland, but in a comfort food sort of way that is not necessarily bad. I tried the different salsas, and being used to som tam, didn't find any of them very spicy. The chicken and pork were very tasty, I didn't like the beef as much.

The portions were *huge* and I couldn't finish it all. One taco would probably have been enough for me.

The restaurant is cheerful, even though the parking lot view isn't the best. The staff seemed a bit harassed, and some members of the staff were chewing out the younger waitresses. One drawback of the Nana location is the other patrons: there was a group of really loud, fat, rude Americans, hired company in tow, yelling at the waitress, but that's a problem with other restaurants in the area too. I might avoid the Nana location and go to Emporium in the future.

Overall, Sunrise isn't perfect, but I think it's good value for money, and I'll be back when I have another taco craving! :-)

Try Bourbon St @ Washington Square , thats where I get my Mexican/Creole/Cajun fix.

Tried this by phone. Ecnhilladas was like fiasko, total crap and almost had to leave them without eating. Tacos were quite decent but nothing to recommend for. I dont think I try this ever again. Good thing is that delivery is 24h.

There is new place near Phrom Phong, called Coyote's (It has other branches too), seems very good place, I'll give it a try when I'll get back to Bangkok from Malaysia.

I don't recommend this Sunrise, waste of money with those European prices.

Well, not trying to be rude, but for me the online delivery system it's not working for Subway. It shows a big
Sorry,

Delivery is not available.

, even though I can order over the phone. What's that all about?

They just started the online delivery with Subway so still some kinks. :o

The problem with the online delivery is someone has to be there to take the order as the computer is on a different floor than where the delivery people are. The girls that handles the online delivery does not work on Sat or Sun, so the computer then says” no online delivery” They are working on getting the computer moved and the line to where the delivery station is with bells going off when a delivery comes in via printer. Everything in Thailand takes time to get a simple computer moved with the bells as well.

www.sunrisetacos.com

I don't recommend this Sunrise, waste of money with those European prices.

You may not like our food. It can happen as everybody has different taste buds. We have a large repeat business which we are happy to have. We wish we could make everybofy happy, thats our goal because people have expecations we want to exceed.

However I wonder where you can get a enchilada plate for 3.50 euros or 3 tacos for three euros at a restaurant in Europe? Guy tonight from Norway stated " that it was 5 times more expensive there in Europe and our quality was the best he ever had. " The other 4 people in his group agreed with him. I don't know what the prices are in Europe but would say the odds are high we are cheaper.

If you think our prices were high for the enchilada which is 159 Baht then guess you might think Coyotes will be real high at the price of 360 Baht or the 275 Baht they charge for two tacos that we charge 98 Baht for. Then again you might like the taste. Others say they like ours better.

Taste is one thing that is open to debate but saying we have European prices is a different matter.

www.sunrisetacos.com

It is cheaper than Norway, but then again Norway have europes highest prices when it comes to food. In Norway a cucumber can cost up to 5 euros. I remember when I went there for work. My heart almost stopped when I had to pay a whopping 170 baht for a can of coke at the local gas station. On the other hand, Sunrise tacos is more expensive than the average mexican eatery in Spain.

To put things in perspective, in Germany and Sweden you have to pay around 5-7 euros for a mexican all-you-can-eat-buffe at lunchtime. A plate of tacos would cost around 3.5-6 euros.

If you think our prices were high for the enchilada which is 159 Baht then guess you might think Coyotes will be real high at the price of 360 Baht or the 275 Baht they charge for two tacos that we charge 98 Baht for. Then again you might like the taste. Others say they like ours better.

If the Coyote on Soi 33 is the same as the one on Soi Convent then, yes, it is pretty expensive. Huge portions though, but a bit too stodgy in my opinion. Their 300 Baht all you can eat Friday buffet is good though.

Sunrise is good for a more healthy, quicker, cheaper option.

And "European Prices" is pretty vague - I remember paying about 100 Baht for a big, tasty meal in the Czech Republic before, which would cost about 2000 Baht in London. Europe has some very broad price ranges.

Sunrise tacos with the soft shells are nice- always very fresh vegetables, polite service.

But no mocha.

So usually I head down to Cofee world on the corner of soi 9 where a mocchino is only 60baht, as against 100 for starbucks.

Last saturday though they had no cofee as teh machien was broken. So I ordered for a subway (same place). Asked for a hot bun. They delivered it cold. Pointed this out..no problem it comes back a few minutes later steaming hot, pickles, bun and all- nuked in the microwave.

Sunrise tacos with the soft shells are nice- always very fresh vegetables, polite service.

But no mocha.

So usually I head down to Cofee world on the corner of soi 9 where a mocchino is only 60baht, as against 100 for starbucks.

Last saturday though they had no cofee as teh machien was broken. So I ordered for a subway (same place). Asked for a hot bun. They delivered it cold. Pointed this out..no problem it comes back a few minutes later steaming hot, pickles, bun and all- nuked in the microwave.

Their Burritos are massive!! I just don't get it - how they can be so much value for money. The Guacamole is made from imported avocados too, absolutely fullfilling after a hard night out. . .

I know Sunrise are a TV sponsor, and kudos to them for that, but do we REALLY need so many bloody threads about their taco shop?

What next? A mexican food forum sponsored by Sunrise Tacos with (suspiciously) new members asking "where can i get my taco fix after a night out at Nana?" and everyone rushing in with "Why, at Sunrise Tacos, of course".

That couldn't happen on Thaivisa, now, could it?

I know Sunrise are a TV sponsor, and kudos to them for that, but do we REALLY need so many bloody threads about their taco shop?

What next? A mexican food forum sponsored by Sunrise Tacos with (suspiciously) new members asking "where can i get my taco fix after a night out at Nana?" and everyone rushing in with "Why, at Sunrise Tacos, of course".

Yes I am sick of hearing about Sunrise Tacos too - having read all these glowing reports a while back I suggested a visit there to a Thai ladyfriend in the knowledge that she really likes Mexican food . The net result was she refused to enter the place and I am now referred to as a Cheap Charlie !

Cheers BB

A mexican food forum sponsored by Sunrise Tacos with (suspiciously) new members asking "where can i get my taco fix after a night out at Nana?" and everyone rushing in with "Why, at Sunrise Tacos, of course".

You better have proof to be making a statement that I would deceive like this. If you do have proof, you'll have 10 million Baht more in your pocket.

For the record, I or no one I know have ever asked someone to post on Thaivisa.com. Any comments are 100% from that individual. If someone writes, I do have the right to respond to them.

Never once, have I ever posted under another name or post. I don't hide behind a computer or respond to myself.

I want to start a thread, thats my right. You have the option to read it or ignore it. If I start a thread or post, you will know it under Sunbelt Asia.

I'm one of the few owners that does respond to posts from people. Threads can get long, but its always under my name " Sunbelt Asia."

No other restaurant owner I know, is giving 10% of the profits to Thaivisa.com members for being the eyes and ears so that may be why our restaurant is mention more than other restaurants with threads. Maybe its because the food is good. However only posts under" Sunbelt Asia" or "sunbeltasia" came from me and no other name.

If anything is stated above is not true. I will pay you a reward of ten million Baht, if you can prove your statements about Sunrise Tacos has or will deceive Thaivisa.com members. This money will be paid to you or a charity of your choice. Up to now, I always appreciated your comments. You are a smart lawyer so you must of been sure to imply like you did but you are flat out wrong. My money will back up that its not hot air and its the fact.

I would surmise ten million Baht, will give you plenty of motivation to prove your case. Some ideas...go to George the owner of the site and ask for the ISP of the people to see if it matches. PM people and ask who they are? You have enough clout with the moderators, ask them. Tell them you will split the money with them. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Guess what? You will never prove I posted other than Sunbelt Asia... because it never happen!

What will you pay for your insinuation, when it turns out I was right?

Again for the record. I appreciate people that take the time to write about us. I don't appreciate a bully throwing dirt on them because they did so. You saw the thread title. If you don't want to read about it, don't click on the thread.

Because of the respect I had for you before, I did go back to look at this thread and the people that responded.

The original poster canadiangirl with 705 posts

Jingthing with 4,080 posts

kyb789 with 102 posts

onethailand with 928 posts

lomatopo with 1,613 posts

PadThaiGuy with 277 posts

Pumpuiman with 1,621 posts

Hawkup2000 with 48 posts

Ulysses G with 7,040 posts

Dantilley with 1,601 posts

DamianMavis with 629 posts

Alexth with 1,716 posts

Thaihome with 1,253 posts

Strap with 49 posts

Blizzard with 1,363 posts

Beavis and Butth 487 posts

Jockstar with 7,503 posts

Khuntan with 4,119 posts

Trajan with 392 posts

Wolfie with 4,660 posts

Kiakaha with 565 posts

huppe with 24 posts

Nysan with 2 posts

trader1 with 90 posts

adam8169 with 13 posts

bendix with 2,535 posts

siamsekitty with 709 posts

Balthazarbeefhea with 125 posts

The only one with less than 10 posts was Nysan. He wrote

It is cheaper than Norway, but then again Norway have europes highest prices when it comes to food. In Norway a cucumber can cost up to 5 euros. I remember when I went there for work. My heart almost stopped when I had to pay a whopping 170 baht for a can of coke at the local gas station. On the other hand, Sunrise tacos is more expensive than the average mexican eatery in Spain.

To put things in perspective, in Germany and Sweden you have to pay around 5-7 euros for a mexican all-you-can-eat-buffe at lunchtime. A plate of tacos would cost around 3.5-6 euros.

Is it really that positive for Sunrise Tacos, for you to make your statement? If I was to write under Nysan, I certainly would of not said we are more expensive than Mexican food in Spain. (I in fact find that hard to believe. I've been to Spain and its expensive)

I do however know who Adam is and I certainly didn't ask him to write. He's a customer just like other people that posts here with over 1,000 posts. Newbies on Thaivisa have the same rights as you. He in fact wrote to me in a e-mail "My experience at Sunrise!!! " ‏on Sat 1/05/08 7:37 PM complaining " staff were quite generous with the filling (read too generous) " Two days later on 2008-01-07 09:50:14, he writes to the Thaivisa members saying the same thing " the burrito is too big."

So who you think was the poster that in fact is Sunbelt Asia?

Also for the record, show me the thread about Sunrise Tacos on Thaivisa started with a poster that had one or two posts. Doing a search, I can't find one up to now.

Well, it's happened before. Never have so many hitherto unheard of posters (with 1-2 posts behind them) started threads when the insurance forum started.

I'll get my coat . . .

You stated a fact, now prove this. Where is the thread about Sunrise Tacos, started by a newbie? I have nothing against new members, just asking as you are making a statement.

As a lawyer you should be able to back it up your insinuation that I have or will in the future deceive Thaivisa members by writing under an assumed name. Getting your coat after you make a statement like this, won't cut it.

Greg Lange

Owner of Sunrise Tacos

www.sunrisetacos.com

Yes I am sick of hearing about Sunrise Tacos too - having read all these glowing reports a while back I suggested a visit there to a Thai ladyfriend in the knowledge that she really likes Mexican food . The net result was she refused to enter the place and I am now referred to as a Cheap Charlie !

Cheers BB

One idea would be to take her to our upscale places at the Emporium on the fifth floor or at the Siam Paragon on the ground floor. ( Opening on the 28th of Jan.) Plenty of Hi- So Thais eating our tacos at the Emporium. We have on average over 150 Thais eating on a Sat or Sunday at the Emporium location.

www.sunrisetacos.com

Greg, with respect you've completely missed the point on this one. As a lawyer (to paraphrase you), you really should learn to read more carefully and not fly off the handle.

My post was - bizarrely - not about Sunrise Tacos at all, as I have alluded in my reply to your rather robust PM. Instead it was an obviously too subtle tongue in cheek comment alluding to something completely different.

*sigh*

Cheers BB

One idea would be to take her to our upscale places at the Emporium on the fifth floor or at the Siam Paragon on the ground floor. ( Opening on the 28th of Jan.) Plenty of Hi- So Thais eating our tacos at the Emporium. We have on average over 150 Thais eating on a Sat or Sunday at the Emporium location.

www.sunrisetacos.com

This may be looking too far ahead, but where's next after Paragon, do you know yet?

Cheers BB

www.sunrisetacos.com

Blimey, at this rate your tacos may get to be featured on the cover of Tatler!

I am sure your tacos are the most delicious in Bangkok and all the others are rancid.

It is always nice to hear of foreigners doing well in Thailand. Congratulations!

To boost promotion further, have you considered renaming ThaiVisa to ThaiTaco? :o

Cheers BB

www.sunrisetacos.com

Blimey, at this rate your tacos may get to be featured on the cover of Tatler!

I am sure your tacos are the most delicious in Bangkok and all the others are rancid.

It is always nice to hear of foreigners doing well in Thailand. Congratulations!

To boost promotion further, have you considered renaming ThaiVisa to ThaiTaco? :o

I must confess that I am not even sure what a Taco is. I ate Mexican back in Cairns Australia in 1988 and then only again in Silom last year - trouble is I consumed so many jugs of Margherita I couldn't see what I was eating. The Silom experience was further clouded by the distraction of a khatoey waitress ? wearing an incredibly short skirt and continually bending over the table opposite - I remember that but not what a taco looks like.

Isn't there some slang that involves taco - I'm sure I've come accross it. Could it be taco tits ?

Anyway, Greg is just trying to earn an honest crust so lets don't knock it. Is there any truth in the rumour Vertigo is the next outlet ?

Cheers BB

I visited the Sunrise Taco restaurant (near Times Sq-Sukhumvit Soi 12?) this past weekend...I ordered three crispy tacos (one chicken, one pork and one ground beef), chips with guacamole and a mango margarita....wow they were great!! (I just wish the margarita was a bit bigger, but Ill get that liter glass next time) thanks for having this choice here in the Big Mango :o ... I really miss Mexican food....

[if I order for "take out" I only get the burritos, because crispy tacos just dont travel well...they get soggy, so I now know just to order them "for here"]

I'm grateful for Sunrise Tacos. It's affordable, accessible, and the various items on offer are delicious! It is so hard to find Mexican food in Thailand, and several years ago you couldn't find them anywhere except in fancy hotels! (Well, at that time I was quite young and hadn't been exposed to Sukhumvit & Silom much, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

I like the crispy tacos, soft tacos, and the nachos supreme. However, I do agree with the comments on take-away and delivery; the soft tacos have usually disintegrated by the time I've arrived home, though the crispy tacos are still manageable (might have to do with the speed at which I drive! :-P)

I haven't been there a while, so dunno if the staff is still a bit disoriented or not.

Blah, blah, blah.

Do us a favor and quit wasting the bandwith.

Well, it's happened before. Never have so many hitherto unheard of posters (with 1-2 posts behind them) started threads when the insurance forum started.

I'll get my coat . . .

Don't let this fool bother you Greg.

His goal is to start foodfights and derail threads with smartass remarks.

That's all he does.

Just another English hooligan in Thailand, ruining the reputation of the Farang population.

A moderator could combine them all into one thread , it would make getting info about the Sunrise taco's easier.

Cheers

I had three soft corn tacos for 139B, with chicken, pork and pulled beef.

That translates to about $4.20. I am sorry but that is just too expensive for a semi fast food joint. About $1 cheaper would be appropriate...especially for Thailand. As an American, I am guilty of converting everything to U.S dollars. Since I live here, I just don't go around paying American prices for everything or I would go broke. Geez...this is Thailand..remember?? I really like Sunrise Taco, but I'm not a tourist so I cannot spend like one. I am willing to go there for "special cravings". I also don't want to single them out, as most tourist area places have inflated prices.

um please tell me you are joking.