Electric Mosquito Zappers

jonniebkk

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes...

I, like many folks, have bought a couple of the electric mosquito zappers to keep around the house to kill the little blood-suckers. You know, the ones with the white or blue florescent light and the electric grid that zaps them as they fly toward the light. I was under the assumption that the light attracted the mosquitoes.

Well, the other day, I'm listening to some science program and they mention that mosquitoes, as opposed to many other insects, are NOT attracted to light sources. They are attracted by (and find their warm blooded prey) the CO2 (carbon dioxide) emitted from the bodies of their victims. Therefore, all these light-based mosquito zappers are really not effective against them...and they only catch those who randomly happen to fly into the electric grid.

Comments anyone :o Suggestions are killing the little buggers.

Electronic bat zappers and active patrolling seems to work - amazing how many you can zap in the early evening during a twenty minute or so period around the house during breeding. Inside get them one at a time.

If you use the bulb/hot screen units have a fan cross the access path as you will get a lot more as they are blown into the unit. They also have models to suck them in using a fans pull which might work better.

The professional units indeed use CO2 to attract them and units are available in US but have not seen on commercial sale here (at least not at a reasonable price).

I, like many folks, have bought a couple of the electric mosquito zappers to keep around the house to kill the little blood-suckers. You know, the ones with the white or blue florescent light and the electric grid that zaps them as they fly toward the light. I was under the assumption that the light attracted the mosquitoes.

Well, the other day, I'm listening to some science program and they mention that mosquitoes, as opposed to many other insects, are NOT attracted to light sources. They are attracted by (and find their warm blooded prey) the CO2 (carbon dioxide) emitted from the bodies of their victims. Therefore, all these light-based mosquito zappers are really not effective against them...and they only catch those who randomly happen to fly into the electric grid.

These science people then need to explain the massive ammount of mosquitos that assemple around the fluorecent light I have in the yard at night. The little gekkos are having a feast there...

Well, the other day, I'm listening to some science program and they mention that mosquitoes, as opposed to many other insects, are NOT attracted to light sources.

mosquitoes do not study any science that's why they are attracted to light :o i have used the 'zappers' in different countries and can confirm that they always worked. nevertheless, it's also a fact that mosquitoes and other suckers are finding their targets by following exhaled high concentration of CO² from animals and humans.

Mossies are hard suckers to really get, those light emitting zappers do get some but not many IMO.. The heat from the light can be an attractant.

Making a CO2 emmiting bug trap (diy guides online) work far far better.. Also attracted to dark, warmth, etc..

mosquitoes do not study any science that's why they are attracted to light :D i have used the 'zappers' in different countries and can confirm that they always worked. nevertheless, it's also a fact that mosquitoes and other suckers are finding their targets by following exhaled high concentration of CO² from animals and humans.

Aha, and I'm loving it. Whoever invented this I gotta give two :o

Work good work good work good.

Edited by legag

No all species of mosquitos are attracted by CO2, according to research by University of Florida (home to 74 species of mosquitoes).

For people with a few baht to spare - here's some commercial traps on the market. More here.

Better still - build you own. Instructions here.

Peter (this entry included as a free public service because mosquitos love me).

I, like many folks, have bought a couple of the electric mosquito zappers to keep around the house to kill the little blood-suckers.

I'm one of the unfortunately ones that "yoong" really love to attack. They ignore everyone at the house except me. Gotta be something in the falang and Thai chemistry. Can't say much for the bug zapper light. I put one and it ended up attacked thousands of another kind of bug. They just came in and landed all over everything. It was a mess. No idea what they were but so much for the bug light.

I am no expert but I recall from my science days and my brother is in the businss, and he has confirmed it. They are attracted to the heat, and in the case of the light, the heat generated from the light.

I think mossies prefer the dark - like under my desk - not the light. :D

Best way to not get bitten is to not let them get in the house - screens on all doors and windows, never leave a door open, open screen doors outwards, not inwards. And make sure your SO does the same. The worst time I had mosquitoes was when my g/f's sister used to come around, and when she was leaving they'd always talk with the bladdy door open. :o

I use the tennis racket type zappers if one does get in - may two or three times a week.

Well, the other day, I'm listening to some science program and they mention that mosquitoes, as opposed to many other insects, are NOT attracted to light sources.

mosquitoes do not study any science that's why they are attracted to light :o i have used the 'zappers' in different countries and can confirm that they always worked. nevertheless, it's also a fact that mosquitoes and other suckers are finding their targets by following exhaled high concentration of CO² from animals and humans.

Being from Minnesota were the State Bird IS the mosquito, the trick is no heavy breathing. Probably why the birth rate is so low! :D

Avoid having doors painted in dark colors, mosquitoes love resting on anything dark and the moment you open your door, they fly inside.

Has anyone try mounting a fan outside his door, maybe hook it up to an infrared sensor? I'm about to try it. I live next to a reservoir and the mossies are driving me batty.

I find that mossies prefer to bite younger children - so to prevent yourself from being bitten when you sleep, simply sleep near to one of your children and they will bite them instead :D

:o That's not right.

It is - works for me. Maybe your children are to covered up - if so just pull back the bed sheet when they are fast asleep and rub a little sugar water on their skin!

Those bat zappers are great, I brought one home to australia, its also fun being drunk and zapping your mates

I hope Oz Customs doesn't read this forum.

The zappers are banned in Oz, and you could have been up for a fine (or at the least, seizure of the zapper) when you took it into Oz.

Thanks for all the helpful...and some very funny replies.

Those tennis racket zappers are sure fun to play with...usually I use them against the roaches...get a big "pop" when I get one of them :o

As to the mosquitoes attracted to dark surfaces...I notice whenever I open my wooden doors in the morning (there is an inner-metal gate/w/screens) that what seems like dozens of the buggers go flying about. So I do have to be very careful when first opening the doors in the morning that they don't get in the house.

If you live near still waters, the chances are slim that you will ever completely combat the menace.

Mosquitos don't bite me (we had a little talk) but chew my wife up so it is fortunate that we rarely ever see them where we live. But then we are very diligent about not allowing any standing water near our house - a small bucket with a little water in the bottom left out for only a couple of days can produce literally thousands of the little girls (only the females bite). If you have a fishpond or similar, a drop of light machine oil on the surface every couple of weeks won't hurt fish or plants but will keep mosquito babies from breaking the surface. This also works in nearby streetside ditches that tend to puddle rainwater. Only one drop unless it is a sizable pond!

Most people feel that ankles are a favorite target but that is only because skeeters usually fly close to the ground. They don't do well in wind and on a cool evening the ground is still giving off the warmth they need to stay active. If you use a zapper or trap of any kind, it will function much better sitting on the floor of your porch than hung high. Leave those upper-bugs that are attracted to light for our beloved geckos.

Skeeters also do not live primarily on animal juices but plant juices. If we and the other animals were their only source of sustenance, we would never be able to leave our homes without being drained down to a dry sack of chemicals. For the few buggies we get in our village, I put out a slice of fresh ripe papaya just before sunset. In the early evening and again in the morning before the sun rises, the slice is covered with them and a light squirt of mosquito spray in the air above them dispatches them neatly.

They do indeed like dark colors as any Thai laundry lady knows - wiggle a dry black shirt or pants on a rack outside and prepare to be swarmed. If troubled by lots of skeeters, hang a small sheet of black construction plastic or a yard bag against a shady outside wall in an inconspiquous place or two then, anytime during the day when the sun is out, squirt a touch of spray behind the plastic and much of your problem has been resolved.

Stashes of anything outside, especially in cardboard boxes or cabinets with loose-fitting doors need to be sealed against these pests. They dehydrate very quickly in the direct sun which is why they try to swarm through your door when you open it in the morning, not because of all that CO2 you have been exhaling all night. Watch for things close to the ground that offer dark refuge but standing water is the worst! They hatch almost overnight, always in water, and by the zillions...

Those bat zappers are great, I brought one home to australia, its also fun being drunk and zapping your mates

I hope Oz Customs doesn't read this forum.

The zappers are banned in Oz, and you could have been up for a fine (or at the least, seizure of the zapper) when you took it into Oz.

And quite rightly so. Friend of mine had one confiscated at customs, apparaently they have grabbed thousands of them. If you compalin they will use them on your groin. Everyone that uses one here foolishly thinks they are a good idea.

The Australian government doesn't like those things and prefers the natural method of constantly spraying your home and bodies with aerosol DDT. Much better to deal with cancers from those toxins later than to have someone zapping someone else with one of those. There again perhaps the first posters mindset may have had something to do with it too? Interestingly enough never seen people zap each other here.

Avoid having doors painted in dark colors, mosquitoes love resting on anything dark and the moment you open your door, they fly inside.

Yes - always open doors outwards. :o

Aren't there any sprays you can buy to treat large areas? I was thinking of using one of those plastic containers that you pump up to get air pressure inside and then spray around the garden.

Beentheredonethat I was told they don't like to fly above 9 floors. It might not be scientifically accurate but the only time we ever see them high up in this building is when they follow someone up in the lifts.

Have only seen two up here in the last two years.

We live on the beachfront and I think that helps too.