Laser Pointer

mr.buffalo

I have just had a " discover scuba " trip in Phuket and enjoyed it so much that I think diving will be my sport of choice now.

One thing that I thought the instructor could have done with was a laser pointer so I've been looking on the net and see that water proof laser pointers are available for $30 or so, not a really cheap unnescessary accessory I admit. My question now is how many of the diving fraternity would buy one if I could water proof the ones the guys sell on the streets ? I am going to do trials and reckon I can water proof them and sell at around B200, a nice little cheap item for divers, diving instuctors and of course would be divers. Before the enviromentists get involved I will advise you to look up water proof laser pointers on the net for the effects etc . the upshoot absolutley none, in fact some fish follow the beam so it will make it more interesting.

well i have one and have used it once underwater

its absolutely useless and a normal pointer is way better

its sat on the shelf for over a year now without being used

Completely agree Smart...bought an underwater laser pointer and it's the most useless scuba "toy" I ever bought :D

Main problem is that the point of light is too small to be really noticed by anyone except the person using it...I basically always had to use my finger or regular metal pointer to point out what I was pointing to with the lazer :o

Used it once or twice and into the never-used scuba toys box it went.

Khun Kwai...I have one for sale by the way to if you're interested :D

• 8 months later...

Laser pointer from the street + condom with end tied tight = underwater laser pointer

It works!!!

Cheaper than the dive specific ones and as the other posters have indicated the wow factor is about 2 minutes...

Never tried the green ones though..hmmm, anyone tried the green lasers on a night dive?

Aloha

Edited by WorldwideALOHA

I made one a couple years back but with a green laser. Still have but have not been doing that much diving.

It worked absolutely awesome! difference with the red and green is that the green you can actually see the beam not just the dot at the end. And at night-time, WOW!.

I turned a peice of aluminum on a lath and enclosed a green laser, totally waterproof to deep depths and could also use as a tank banger but have to be gentle. I used when i was a dm and my customers loved it! Could point from long distance away and they were able to follow the beam to where i was pointing.

So lasers underwater useless? I beg to differ.

Still have the drawings and my model but never got around to marketing it cost me around 1500 baht to make. so figured there was no money to be made/

• 5 months later...