Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

Great CV :o

While Samak now rails against the military and its ouster of Thaksin, he hasn't always been aligned against them. Thai society was deeply polarized between left and right when Indochina fell under communist rule in 1975. On the morning of Oct. 6, 1976, police and right-wing paramilitary mobs invaded Thammasat University, raping, lynching and burning alive scores of students who were demonstrating for greater civil liberties. A few hours later, the military staged a coup. Samak was then appointed interior minister in one of Thailand's most repressive governments. Leftists and students were hunted down and jailed. "I blame him," says Prof. Thientham Thiensirichai, a former student who fled to the jungles and is now a member of the Matchima political party, a smaller TRT splinter-party. "He is my enemy."

In May 1992, Bangkok's middle class rose up to demand that the then coup leader, Gen. Suchinda Krapayoon, resign. Suchinda had the army open fire, killing scores in what has come to be known as "Black May." Samak, who was deputy prime minister, called the demonstrators troublemakers and communists, and said it was acceptable for the government to shoot them. After the King intervened and democracy was restored, Samak still won a seat to parliament in Bangkok's military-dominated Dusit district. During the late 1990s, he and Thaksin served as cabinet ministers in the scandal-plagued government of Prime Minister Banharn Silpa-archa. Samak and Thaksin were publicly admonished by the King for arguing with each other rather than solving the capital's notorious traffic problems. Nonetheless, in 2000, Samak was elected Bangkok governor, winning in a landslide. Though his term lacked notable accomplishments — and he's under investigation for alleged corruption in the procurement of fire trucks — Bangkok voters sent him to the Senate in April 2005.

I can only conclude from the above that the entire political landscape of Thailand is tainted and that if Samak and the PPP win a majority, that the majority of Thai voters are irresponsible, don't give a fig about Thailand or democracy, corrupt politicians or Buddhist precepts.

At least Thais can now stop pretending they want to be like developed countries having voted against any substantial change from the existing feudal system. The world now certainly knows the black heart of Thailand remains and it will be demonstrated to the world when Mr. T is welcomed back as a returning hero. My guess is he'll come back within a day or 2 of Samak's taking the PM position.

The next military coup will be a tougher struggle and there will be bloodshed. But this is exactly what the Thais have voted for. So be it. Sadly, after the fighting ends those same Thais will vote those responsible back into office to repeat it all over again.

Agree.

If the majority votes in the PPP party, it isn't because of policies or ideas; it is only because they thought they were voting for Thaksin. Maybe people should have to pass a basic IQ test before being allowed to vote....

Will Samak will want to hand over all his glory and power to Thaksin?

They had a real chance of getting something fresh.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samak still talking live on TV. Expressing grave disappointment about losing but says he can't comment on other issues.

He's now stating that because of martial law they're now (presumably0 the CNS are trying to stop PPP from forming the next government.

Asked by a foreign reporter if he has any contact with the military replies no. Speaking very negatively about the CNS now and mentioning that leaders of two minor parties are meeting with Prem no.

Now stating that there is no oppostion in Thailand and that we need an oppostion.

Samak continuing to admonish and severely criticise the CNS.

Samak speaking english and praising army commander in chief.

Transmission could possibly be cut.

Bulmer,where are you seeing this,and is it in English?

Samak now stating that the exit polls didn't take account of the advance voting numbers and that the two weren't 'harmonised.' Inferring some kind of irregularity but reluctant to explain further.

Press conference now over.

He said the exit polls weren't "harmonized" in Bangkok, but were in agreement for the rest of the country. He is only questioning the vote in Bangkok.

Jakrapob says Prem calls leaders of Chart Thai, Puea Pandin to meeting

BANGKOK: -- Jakrapob Penkair, a leading member of the People Power Party, alleged that Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda had interfered in politics by calling the leaders of the Chart Thai and Puea Paendin parties to a meeting.

Jakrapob said he had received confirmed reports that Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa and Suwit Khunkitti were summoned to meet Prem at his Sisao Theves residence at 7:30 pm.

-- The Nation 2007-12-23

Samak now stating that the exit polls didn't take account of the advance voting numbers and that the two weren't 'harmonised.' Inferring some kind of irregularity but reluctant to explain further.

Press conference now over.

He said the exit polls weren't "harmonized" in Bangkok, but were in agreement for the rest of the country. He is only questioning the vote in Bangkok.

As much as I'd like to see the PPP loose, I can't find anything on it on any of the official media. Did anyone else see this?

Samak declares victory, announces coalition formation

BANGKOK: -- People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej declared victor and announced that he would contest to form a coalition.

He said the People Power has only some seats short of simple majority so it would like to invite other parties to join its coalition.

-- The Nation 2007-12-23

Jakrapob says Prem calls leaders of Chart Thai, Puea Pandin to meeting

BANGKOK: -- Jakrapob Penkair, a leading member of the People Power Party, alleged that Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda had interfered in politics by calling the leaders of the Chart Thai and Puea Paendin parties to a meeting.

Jakrapob said he had received confirmed reports that Chart Thai leader Banharn Silapa-archa and Suwit Khunkitti were summoned to meet Prem at his Sisao Theves residence at 7:30 pm.

-- The Nation 2007-12-23

totally unnesscesary- this more than any thing else vote buying- a PPP win- EC incompetence- if this is true- I see polarization like never before.

Abhisit now talking on TV and looking every bit like the new leader elect. Lots of applause and cheering from his supporters.

Basically a victory speech though the final count isn't complete yet.

The military have made their move. If I had voted for the PPP today I would be really pxxxed.

Democracy doesn't exist in Thailand - it's just a vague notion.

TIT

Looks like Sonthi's recount clears up an honest mistake. People voting for PPP party really meant to vote for the Prem & Peau Pandin party...

Now I've heard everything! Dejavu from 2000 US election in Florida. The Thais have learned a few new tricks. I would suppose that those who thought they were voting for Prem & Peau party were senior, senior citizens and easily confused.

BREAKING NEWS

NEWS24 - Thailand -

A PPP spokesaman has just announced on Thai television that the Chart Thai and Peua Paendin leaders are currently meeting with Prem Tinsulonda at his Tavees residence.

He expressed concern about this other 'process' which is on-going with the election count.

Scheduled PPP press conference delayed.

And WHAT exactly does that mean ? :o

Please explain.

LaoPo

Maybe nobody noticed it and let me repeat my question:

And WHAT exactly does that mean ? see above in bold

Anybody ?

LaoPo

:o This is common knowledge to the entire population and not of any consequence in this context..

lets stay on the topic of todays election...

suppose you're not answering to post #269 ?

edit: have seen your answer in previous post.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

BREAKING NEWS

NEWS24 - Thailand -

A PPP spokesaman has just announced on Thai television that the Chart Thai and Peua Paendin leaders are currently meeting with Prem Tinsulonda at his Tavees residence.

He expressed concern about this other 'process' which is on-going with the election count.

Please explain.

LaoPo

LaoPo- I'm guessing that Prem will try to influence how these parties will align themselves in any coalition agreememnt.

BREAKING NEWS

NEWS24 - Thailand -

Please explain.

LaoPo

LaoPo- I'm guessing that Prem will try to influence how these parties will align themselves in any coalition agreememnt.

is that authorized by ANY constitution?