So This Is Christmas?

jayenram

This morning I opened up my one and only Christmas present (from my daughter in UK). It was the DVD "Platinum Edition" and "40th Anniversary Edition" of Walt Disney's "Jungle Book".

It won't play on either of my DVD players!

Try it on your computer and Merry Xmas.

Hey Jayenram how many Christmas presents did you send, or is it better to receive

than to give. Me I didn't send any and don't expect any either thats why I've been

on the old TV this last wee while - bah humbug - too mean to phone folk even so

stop feeling sorry for yourself old buddy, think of the money we're saving

This morning I opened up my one and only Christmas present (from my daughter in UK). It was the DVD "Platinum Edition" and "40th Anniversary Edition" of Walt Disney's "Jungle Book".

Try it on your computer and Merry Xmas.

Nope! Computer cannot read it either but that's not the point. I wish to play it through my all singing, all dancing "surround sound" system whilst sitting in the lounge with a cold beer (after beer o'clock, obviously).

I wonder whether this is a cunning ploy to encourage me to take a trip down to Pantip Plaza to spend Bht 150.00 on a rip off copy!

Shouldn't think it will ever reach there (that's if you're on the level of even having sent it of course)

I wouldn't send cash even in the UK mail, supposing I was so generous as yourself that is, as

locally a postwoman has been charged with tampering with the mail - true- would you adam and

even it.

Shouldn't think it will ever reach there (that's if you're on the level of even having sent it of course)

I wouldn't send cash even in the UK mail, supposing I was so generous as yourself that is, as

locally a postwoman has been charged with tampering with the mail - true- would you adam and

even it.

Not cash. Cheques. Small denomination cheques.

Note to admin: Please revise spell-chequer to spell cheque correctly

If you go to thisDVD reviewer web site you should be able to find your model of DVD and it will tell you how to change it to multi region and play DVD's from anywhere in the world.

It won't play on either of my VHS players!

Always knew you were stuck in the past. :D :D

All the best mate. Merry Xmas. :o:D

If you go to thisDVD reviewer web site

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

?????????????

post-123-1198549548_thumb.jpg

I have given my grown up kids plane tickets to Thailand. They get a holiday and I get to see them, double bubble!!! Everyone's a winner baby!

It is still a bit weird though, sitting here in shorts and a tee shirt on Xmas day with the builders in the background finishing off my European kitchen and bathroom extension! Doesn't seem right and proper somehow!

Not that I really celebrated it much in the UK but shouldn't it be cold at the very least? Perhaps with a new democracy the Thai people will respect the traditional values and restore a cold christmas next year! Is that too much too ask??

Wherever you are and whoever you are with, enjoy already!

Many thanks to Sumrit. I've finally cracked the LG player and it's now all hunky dorey. Unfortunately the Denon is still locked solid.

It still beats me why in this world of virtually instant travel, I'm still not "allowed" to play full priced original* DVDs anywhere that I wish. Bloody monopolies.

post-123-1198553882_thumb.jpg

Edited by jayenram
* Scanned DVD box added to prove I'm not bullshitting

I have given my grown up kids plane tickets to Thailand. They get a holiday and I get to see them, double bubble!!! Everyone's a winner baby!

It is still a bit weird though, sitting here in shorts and a tee shirt on Xmas day with the builders in the background finishing off my European kitchen and bathroom extension! Doesn't seem right and proper somehow!

Not that I really celebrated it much in the UK but shouldn't it be cold at the very least? Perhaps with a new democracy the Thai people will respect the traditional values and restore a cold christmas next year! Is that too much too ask??

Wherever you are and whoever you are with, enjoy already!

Doesn't seem much like Christmas to me either, as I've always associated the holiday season with snow. It's a beautiful day here in Phuket though, and life is good, so no complaints. Here's what I'm used to:

post-46635-1198554152_thumb.jpg

It didn't snow on the original nativity scene in the manger, and nowadays half of the professing "Christians" live where snow is rarely seen, if ever. It was a chilly 17 degrees in the house this morning, so I imagined Fahrenheit. I visited practicing, Asian Christians who had no tree, no presents, (no television!), and they were celebrating Jesus' birth. It made sense.

I like Jungle Book because the Indians and animals have real names, unlike Reginald and Buffy. Isn't the hero Mowgli?

It has to do with DVD encoding zones which many in the industry want abolished. I suggest paying 2000 baht or so to get a DVD player made by a Thai company. Usually it will be the cheapest one at the store. Not sure of names. They don't last long but they seem to play any encoding, at least in my experience.

This is my first Christmas in Thailand and it sure feels different. No presents exchanged, but my G/F's children gave me a card with messages of love inside. I had to give myself a quiet 5 min's.

When you think about all the BS that surrounds Christmas in Farangland, a simple card was worth far more.

Happy Christmas

Jaiyenyen

In the UK at this time of year, herds of brainless beast will sweep through supermarkets, picking shelves bare like locust and packing trolleys as if they'll be living underground for the next millennia in subterranean caverns, all the while complaining the checkout queues trail back to the fish counter.

The company Christmas party will involve sexual and chemical experimentation between several members of staff, especially if a free bar is involved.

And the Great Escape will be on tele.

Then we come to radio. There are roughly a dozen well known Christmas songs, which radio stations started playing from 1st December onwards. There hasn't been a new festive anthem produced in the last decade, it's not credible anymore thanks to Cliff.

Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody is the unofficial soundtrack to birth of the Messiah. Everyone plays it. Every BBC station. Every commercial radio station. Turn on the tv, every Christmas countdown features Slade. It is the soundtrack to every party from late November onwards. Compilations CDs and instore radio mean Noddy belts out the never-ending ending in every shop, in every shopping centre, everywhere. :o