Buddha Image Tattoos

millerhd

I am planning on becoming a monk at the around mid-March. I would like to get a traditional tattoo while I am a monk. Is this possible or should I get the tattoo before my ordination? For the tattoo I would like to get a buddha image. Any thought or suggestions on this? Any information in this regard is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to get a tattoo after you've been ordained. Many of the "sak yant" tattoos that you see on monks nowadays are actually performed during monkhood and buy other monks. Check this link out if you need to know more......http://sak-yant.com/

Guemlum

It isn't really about my appearance. It is more about marking a major stage in my life and about the religious signifigance of it. I have looked a little into the Sak Yant tattoos, but I am really looking more for a tattoo of an actual Buddha image. Maybe a Buddha with an alms bowl, which represents Wednesday morning, my birthday. Any thoughts on that?

It isn't really about my appearance. It is more about marking a major stage in my life and about the religious signifigance of it. I have looked a little into the Sak Yant tattoos, but I am really looking more for a tattoo of an actual Buddha image. Maybe a Buddha with an alms bowl, which represents Wednesday morning, my birthday. Any thoughts on that?

Your birthday is the start day of your suffering!

Wouldn't you rather mark the day of your ordination?

Hopefully that will mark the day your suffering ends!

It isn't really to commerate my birthday. That is simply my Buddha pose. There is a different pose for each day of the week, and two for Tuesday, one for the morning and one for the after noon. Mine is Tuesday morning, which is the Buddha with an alms bowl. Also, seperately, I am going to get the date of my ordination done in Thai by a professional tattoo artist.

Tattoos, pierced nipples, baggy pants, mohawk haircuts, baseball caps worn back to front, nose rings, walking down the street clutching a mobile phone in your hand instead of putting it in your pocket, wearing sunglasses at night .. etc etc ... all very fine for most unimaginative brainless twits .. not fine for Monks.

Does the Pope have a tat of Jesus on his butt? .. I think not.

All the crap above are just examples of affectations, personal foibles etc .. something your supposed to dispense with when becoming a Monk. Unless becoming a Monk is just another affectation .. in that case .. go for it!

:o

Tattoos, pierced nipples, baggy pants, mohawk haircuts, baseball caps worn back to front, nose rings, walking down the street clutching a mobile phone in your hand instead of putting it in your pocket, wearing sunglasses at night .. etc etc ... all very fine for most unimaginative brainless twits .. not fine for Monks.

All the crap above are just examples of affectations, personal foibles etc .. something your supposed to dispense with when becoming a Monk. Unless becoming a Monk is just another affectation .. in that case .. go for it!

A logical position. Just as I was convinced that every falang buddist I came across had shakey motives, along comes someone with sincere convictions. :D Thank you.

Hi millerhd

I'd be sceptical about anything related to image or profit.

These are associated with our egos which are impermanent and an illusion.

There are many organizations purporting to be Buddhist, but they are positioned as businesses to make profit.

I've also found that teachings such as Buddhism end up being treated as national customs rather than as a method towards self realization.

Most Thais for example will display many customs through their behavior but very few will actually meditate or practice self awareness.

Any money you have budgeted for your tattoo might be better spent helping needy or disadvantaged people.

Hope your practice goes well.

Edited by rockyysdt

A logical position. Just as I was convinced that every falang buddist I came across had shakey motives, along comes someone with sincere convictions. :D Thank you.

Convictions? .. Excuse me if I misunderstand you but I don't consider myself a Buddhist. I whole heartedly agree with most of the philosophy of Buddhism .. as I do with Christianity too.

I'm just one of many people who don't need the "crutch" of an organized religion or philosophy (which is what Buddhism is .. a philosophy that is .. its not a religion .. but that's another story.)

I'm just very skeptical of people prancing around with a need to display their current fad with the likes of tattoos etc. From what I do know about Buddhism .. that just goes against the grain.

If you have "personal" beliefs .. keep em' personal .. no need to ponce around bashing everyone eyes and ears about it.

I have my own personal spiritual ideas/theories/convictions etc .. and thats how they are staying .. "personal".

:D

Edited by camerata
Off-topic ranting against religions deleted.

Isn't possible that I just want the tattoo because I like it and it reminds me of things I am likely to forget in my day to day life? A tattoo is just as much a personal thing as it is a public thing, and can be more so depending on the location of the tattoo and the person. I don't see how something like a tattoo can be inherently anti-thesis to Buddhism. It doesn't have to do with attachment, or improper living, etc. Also I haven't allotted any more for a tattoo as I imagine if I do get one as a monk it won't cost me anything as I won't have any money and the monk giving it to me won't really be charging money for things.

I was really just asking for some ideas on good designs or images, not judgement on my motives, faith, and convictions, but I appreciate the incites anyway.

Also, camerata, I am ordaining for 2 and a half months. From the end of the school semester here until I have to go back home for my sisters wedding. Otherwise, I would have liked to have done it for 3 months starting in April.

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant. Best post I have read in ages!