Xmas Dinner. Where Did You Go?

thaigerd

Christmas Eve wife wanted Japanese Sushi, 1 Singapore Sling, 1 small glass of beer and many dishes and banana split, the bill came to B1400 including tip. Christmas dinner she wanted to walk across the street to open air Thai restaurant, 4 dishes, 2 cups of rice, 2 large Leo's 1 Bacardi Breezer, icecream Sunday, total bill with Tip B550. Much better value we both agreed.

Picked up some take away from Molly Malone's. Surprised by the quality and portion sizes (excellent). 3 orders of various noodle dishes and some satay fed 5 hungry thais and their fat falang mascot, and there were leftovers. All for something like 1200 B I think. Usually pub food is putrid, but this place is good because they make it fresh & spicey if you ask. :o

i would like to hear one rational explanation why i should go through the hassle and cross my property line for dinner :o

p.s. and perhaps wearing a freaking tie and jacket? :D

Cause its fun, pleasant and an excuse to take a shower and shave

i would like to hear one rational explanation why i should go through the hassle and cross my property line for dinner :o

p.s. and perhaps wearing a freaking tie and jacket? :D

Cause its fun, pleasant and an excuse to take a shower and shave

you mean an additional shower on top of the one i had end of november? :D have you heard about the water problems we have in the Pattaya area? :D

Edited by Naam

Just interesting to know where you all went for your xmas dinner/lunch and what was your experience.

I stayed at home with the "family" coz we are having a special BBQ on NYE in my garden.

Gerd

I went to the Green Man in Chalong. It was a total rip off. On arrival the table wasn't even set right even though it was booked. The food was terrible, turkey dinner ( or should i say mainly fat with a bit of turkey) was served cold on a cold plate, followed by the smallest bit of Christmas pudding i've ever seen, followed by a burnt mince pie on a foil dish ( no plate , no spoon or fork , just served on the table) washed down with crappy cheap plonk - and all for 1.950B per head! We were so disappointed we just walked out. Ruined what was otherwise a lovely day.Any suggestions for next year will be gladly appreciated.

had Dinner with friends at home.

Best ever lamb shank (bought from Eurogourmet), only had to heat it up and do some side dishes like noodles and Broccoli with Hollandaise (Eurogourmet).

Took me all in all 15 min to "cook" and all agreed it was lovely.

at Baht 400/ head an even cheap Xmas dinner

will order from there my next dinner as well

Seppl :o

im currently in bkk and heading back to phuket today.

chrissy day saw me and 16 friends at the novotel in bkk. they put on a great spread for about 970thb per person. the food was great and the desserts were simply fabulous.

after being force (yeah right) fed chocolate by my friends 2 year old daughter, i spent the evening sitting with good friends in a 'street' bar in bangkok and had lovely day all up.

Just interesting to know where you all went for your xmas dinner/lunch and what was your experience.

I stayed at home with the "family" coz we are having a special BBQ on NYE in my garden.

Gerd

I went to the Green Man in Chalong. It was a total rip off. On arrival the table wasn't even set right even though it was booked. The food was terrible, turkey dinner ( or should i say mainly fat with a bit of turkey) was served cold on a cold plate, followed by the smallest bit of Christmas pudding i've ever seen, followed by a burnt mince pie on a foil dish ( no plate , no spoon or fork , just served on the table) washed down with crappy cheap plonk - and all for 1.950B per head! We were so disappointed we just walked out. Ruined what was otherwise a lovely day.Any suggestions for next year will be gladly appreciated.

My mates went there due to family visitors and had a similar experience.. Plus the 'included wine' was el cheapo and as you say 2k per head, you would expect a little better.

Thats basically a repeat (tho with a price increase) of a different buddies nightmare christmas dinner there of a year or two back when they fed adults and kept hungry kids waiting about 3 hours for food.. lots of stressed unhappy kids = stressed adults. In fact I have yet to hear a positive Christmas story for Green Man.

I have eaten there on non special days and thought the food was good, nice pub grub style with good portions.. But they seem to fold under the pressure at Christmas, while the price rises each time. I guess if your fully booked you keep raising the price to what the market will bear, they are still full so whose fault is it ??

I'm really suprised about the comments regarding the Green Man, having eaten there on a number of ocassions and not been dissapointed. However, form what has been said, it seems that they really struggle on Christmas day. I will still head there when I'm next in Phuket in April.

Skipped going out, and had a BBQ this year. Went out a few days before fora Christmas dinner to The Londoner, Suk 33, and it wasn't too bad. Very good Christmas pudding and mince pies.

Took the family (and a friend) to Laem Prom Thep for a very nice (Thai) dinner on Christmas eve complete with excellent view. Total bill was 940 baht for 5 of us (including my 2 year old) Never had a complaint from that place.

We don't go out to eat often but Christmas is a special time of course (to some of us anyway) and i recently returned from 6 weeks in the states and was not overjoyed about any thoughts of fattening traditional turkey and filling Christmas dinner.

Happy Holidays to all. It's great to be back.

ps. i must say that one of things that i missed in the US was the Thai driving style. It's not very adventurous when you know exactly what everyone on the road is going to do. It slows down traffic. They all stop at the red lights, stay in their lane, don't cut out in front of you, and still manage to find a reason to lay on their horn. Much better this way when you can just pass someone on either side if you don't like the way they are driving.

AND it's good to be back in the land of skinny asses!

Christmas Eve was a Thai meal in the Siam area followed my a good evening at Hard Rock Cafe, apart from a drunken Brit wanting to fight every one early on, until being "asked to leave".

Overnight at the Intercontinental, using points.

Christmas Dinner was a traditional roast turkey with all the trimmings cooked at home, most enjoyable.

Not everyones cup of tea, but we enjoyed it and that's the important thing.

Roll on New Years Eve, we are going to the countdown at Central World with the tens of thousands of others, probably mad but going to give it a whirl.

Happy new year to all.

Christmas Dinner with Friends on my terrace looking over the River Kwai. Very Multi national, I am Australian/English dual nationanlity, my husband Chinese/ Thai, one American Friend, One Welshman and two Thai's.

To keep to the theme I cooked Italian food and Thai food, made English style salads, American Coleslaw and an Australian Pavlova.

All helped down with Australian wine, Thai beer and American spirits.

And when it comes to friends I don't add up the cost as their company is the most precious gift not to be counted in Baht, Pounds or Dollars.

Christmas Dinner with Friends on my terrace looking over the River Kwai. Very Multi national, I am Australian/English dual nationanlity, my husband Chinese/ Thai, one American Friend, One Welshman and two Thai's.

To keep to the theme I cooked Italian food and Thai food, made English style salads, American Coleslaw and an Australian Pavlova.

All helped down with Australian wine, Thai beer and American spirits.

And when it comes to friends I don't add up the cost as their company is the most precious gift not to be counted in Baht, Pounds or Dollars.

OI !!!!!!

:D Pavlova is a KIWI dish....... :D

Australian,sheeeeeeeesh, blotty cheek of ya..........LOL

KiwiPete ...

:o

I'm really suprised about the comments regarding the Green Man, having eaten there on a number of ocassions and not been dissapointed. However, form what has been said, it seems that they really struggle on Christmas day. I will still head there when I'm next in Phuket in April.
Also went to Green Man and will not be back....the service was just non-existent. Sat there with pre-dinner drinks and all was ok, but when my starter did not turn up and everyone had asked for it at least once each, another G&T turned up!! they just couldn't even understand what was wrong. Food was really not up to it either, very small portions and some of the veggies were off! I'm just glad the company of good friends made up for the crap dinner.

For close on 2k THB I thought it was a joke actually. Heard great reports about the Hilton since, alot cheaper (1200 I think) and there was a huge choice of good food to be had. Will be high on next years list for sure!

Right on ....the worst and meanest meal I have EVER had over Christmas. The portions were small, unimaginative and not pariculary hot. I remember the miserable piece of pudding and the carefully counted out mince pies...one per person and that's it. Mean and miserable UK owner. ..who should know better on Christmas Day. What a day to pick to be so so commercial. Never again.

Just to let you all know the rest of the story, on the way out the owner's wife was surprised to see us leaving ( as we'd only arrived less than an hour earlier) she asked if everything was ok to which we told her how disappointed we were and how terrible both the service and food had been. She said she was really sorry to which i pointed out "not as much as i am, i've just spent 4.000B on that crap".

As she knows us well she said she'd call us to sort things out - that was 5 days ago and so far NOTHING. Seems they don't even care! To add insult to injury we were charged 40B for a small bottle of water - wouldn't you think that a jug of iced water could have been on that table for that much money?! :o

Just to let you all know the rest of the story, on the way out the owner's wife was surprised to see us leaving ( as we'd only arrived less than an hour earlier) she asked if everything was ok to which we told her how disappointed we were and how terrible both the service and food had been. She said she was really sorry to which i pointed out "not as much as i am, i've just spent 4.000B on that crap".

As she knows us well she said she'd call us to sort things out - that was 5 days ago and so far NOTHING. Seems they don't even care! To add insult to injury we were charged 40B for a small bottle of water - wouldn't you think that a jug of iced water could have been on that table for that much money?! :o

The owner's ( UK Husband/wife Thai) would not give you the skin off a bannana...they are that petty and mean. For 2,000 YES 2,000!! ...Baht I had a memorable meal. Memorable, but for all the wrong reasons. We were a party of 12 (?), so work out the bill, plus drinks etc.!! Wow..that hurts especially when there are so many other good places to be entertained on the island. Neither of them came around to wish us well for the festive season nor offer a beer or some token for the day that was in it. That just turns me right off....Book and grab is the mantra here. Well...I and my friends have learned an expensive lesson and won't forget it in a hurry.

Three years ago I turned up for my Christmas Dinner with 5 mates to be advised that all the food had been eaten. Even though I had booked a table for 8pm and it was not yet 7... Made do with a poxy pasta in the Meridian and two of us got food poisoning for our troubles. Merry Christmas.