Smokers, Reduce Your Tobacco Bill

JSixpack

Friendship has cheap pipes for 250 - 360 baht, a variety of pipe tobacco including a high-end line from South Africa for only 99 baht a tin, tamper, and cleaners. (You can get also get a cigar cutter there for 200 baht; the cigar shops typically sell them for 500 baht.)

I only smoke the occasional fine cigar when I can afford one, since Thailand mostly provides greatly overpriced Cubans. It could be argued that cigars are overpriced everywhere, but LOS goes to an extreme what with import taxes, limited selection, and won't let you bring in much of your own from trips abroad.

So I tried the above setup from Friendship, not expecting much, but I ended up quite impressed. For a few satang I did get a cool & delicious smoke from that SA tobacco. The pipe is of remarkably good quality for 360 baht, probably all you'd ever need.

Friendship also has higher end pipes for a reasonable 3000+. Dunhills they aint, but handsome and worthy enough for the afficionado. I'll have to check what pipe tobacco the cigar stores carry . . . but this SA stuff is sufficient. Can't stand that Cap'n Blackie etc. cheap & stinking pipe tobacco.

I haven't smoked since 1983, but have sympathy for those who can't kick the habit.

A friend of mine who lives down the road from me in Pong told me last night that he buys rolling tobacco from Pong market, which comes with free cigarette papers. He said they sell "strong". "Medium" and "mild" varieties, and one bag is enough to make around 50 cigarettes.

the price?

5, (yes FIVE) Baht.

Yet another good reason to live on the Darkside :o

Giving up altogether is much, much, much cheaper, and adds lots of years to your life.

Cigar and pipe-smoke is not inhaled into the lungs but only tasted in the mouth and then exhaled. Therefore, any cancer risk is minimized. Some risk of mouth or lip cancers but not throat or lung. In addition, most cigar/pipe smokers only indulge a few times a week and this past time is not addictive as these tobaccos do not have manipulated nicotine levels nor is the nicotine absorbed by the lung tissues and into the body.

I would think just breathing the filthy air in Bangkok or Pattaya or many other places in LOS is likely more dangerous than an occasional cigar or toke on a pipe :o

Giving up altogether is much, much, much cheaper, and adds lots of years to your life.

The topic addresses only our members who, for one reason or another, aren't giving up altogether.

Known as State-approved drug addicts

Speak for yourself and your own addictions. I am not addicted to anything except my girlfriend and Battlestar Galactica.

You of the anti-smoking lobby, please buzz off from here and start your own topic in the General Topics or Health forum and have at it.

This is not a pro- or anti-smoking discussion thread but is merely about shopping.

Edited by JSixpack

The topic addresses only our members who, for one reason or another, aren't giving up altogether.

Known as State-approved drug addicts

Man was smoking long before the State. I personaly dont smoke - but it seems only fair to have smoking as well as non smoking in public areas. Smokers not being allowed in non smoking areas, however if a non smoker wishes to venture into a smoking area then by all means.

Seems to be popular now to persecute smokers - then again it is a facist trait - Hitler banned smoking in public!!

I smoked a pipe for 30 odd years, :o

Where do you get your information from that you do not inhale?

I certainly inhaled all smoke, (cigars included).

Regards

:D

Cigar and pipe-smoke is not inhaled into the lungs but only tasted in the mouth and then exhaled. Therefore, any cancer risk is minimized. Some risk of mouth or lip cancers but not throat or lung. In addition, most cigar/pipe smokers only indulge a few times a week and this past time is not addictive as these tobaccos do not have manipulated nicotine levels nor is the nicotine absorbed by the lung tissues and into the body.

I would think just breathing the filthy air in Bangkok or Pattaya or many other places in LOS is likely more dangerous than an occasional cigar or toke on a pipe :D

whats the name of the SA pipe tobacoo ?? never smoked a pipe but its an option to the cigs.

I've seen pipes for sale in the Lukdod shop near the bus station, propably cheaper than friendship.

The name is "Nineteen O' Four." There are various flavors. I like as natural as possible, so I got the Original. The tins are kept in a case with the high-end 3000 baht pipes.

I suspect any cheaper pipe is of the old Dr. Grabow quality, and it appears Friendship may also have the equivalent--but I didn't bother looking at those. This 360 baht job is a good value, no complaints here.

As an aside, I used to be very heavy cigarrette smoker - a 4 - 5 pack a day man.

Then in 1983 I decided to try switching to pipe.

I think it was the pipe as much as anything that helped me to quit the habit. I was OK for a while, but once the novelty wore off, I started to find it all too much of a hassle one way or another, and just couldn't be bothered.

I once worked for a guy who refused to employ pipe smokers on the grounds that they spent too much of their time fiddling with their pipes - cleaning them, filling them, lighting etc etc, and never got any work done. :o (This was in the days when smoking was still socially acceptable)

I reckon pipe smoking suits some people's life style but ceratainly not all.

But as Jsixpack says, it's a better, cheaper alternative to the dreaded cigarrette, and some might take to it. :D

I smoked a pipe for 30 odd years, :o

Where do you get your information from that you do not inhale?

I certainly inhaled all smoke, (cigars included).

Regards

:D

I would think just breathing the filthy air in Bangkok or Pattaya or many other places in LOS is likely more dangerous than an occasional cigar or toke on a pipe :D

I cannot state for sure regarding pipes as I don't smoke them...but I certainily do know that as a general practice, cigar smoke is not meant to be inhaled. Maybe if you are a joint cigar and cigarette smoker you would be in the habit of inhaoling smoke for both of them. However, if you are only a cigar smoker, you would not generally inhale cigar smoke.

As an aside, I used to be very heavy cigarrette smoker - a 4 - 5 pack a day man.

Then in 1983 I decided to try switching to pipe.

I think it was the pipe as much as anything that helped me to quit the habit. I was OK for a while, but once the novelty wore off, I started to find it all too much of a hassle one way or another, and just couldn't be bothered.

I once worked for a guy who refused to employ pipe smokers on the grounds that they spent too much of their time fiddling with their pipes - cleaning them, filling them, lighting etc etc, and never got any work done. :o (This was in the days when smoking was still socially acceptable)

I reckon pipe smoking suits some people's life style but ceratainly not all.

But as Jsixpack says, it's a better, cheaper alternative to the dreaded cigarrette, and some might take to it. :D

I stopped smoking once for 9 years. Found that first switching to a pipe helps tremendously in breaking the habit, for the reasons you mention, as well as the fact that less smoke is inhaled and cleaning the pipe is a graphic reminder of the amount of tar going into the lungs.

As a weaning device it is excellent, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I used to work in a retail - impulse-buying business.

We would always discourage pipe-smokers from entering or dwelling in the shop - as the theory was that they would never make up their minds to buy anything - 'Just looking' was the phrase of the day.

My two colleagues smoked eighty a day each, but I have never smoked (plain tobacco)