New Year's Eve In Chiang Mai

T_Dog

Spent New Year's Eve last year at a resort up the Mae Sa valley and it was superb, although very cold. This year we are planning on staying in the city, so that brings up this topic to gather ideas: What are you doing on New Year's Eve?

Spent New Year's Eve last year at a resort up the Mae Sa valley and it was superb, although very cold. This year we are planning on staying in the city, so that brings up this topic to gather ideas: What are you doing on New Year's Eve?

The Mr and I have booked ourselves into Pum Pui, a charming little italian in the SE part of the walled city. We went past it the other night- the outdoor candlelit tables and italian music were just gorgeous. Overly pricey at 985 baht per person (but expected as 6 courses!), we've decided to use the regualr menus.

Currently looking for somewhere to spend the countdown and a few drinks either side- preferably not too manic with space to relax. Any ideas?

We'll probably ring it in with the Tuskers bunch, but my dentist told me there's a goegeous thing they do at the zoo involving zillions of lanterns being lit. I'm a total sucker for that stuff, but it's the kinda weepy shit the hus hates, so we'll see. Somthing fun though!

We'll probably ring it in with the Tuskers bunch, but my dentist told me there's a goegeous thing they do at the zoo involving zillions of lanterns being lit. I'm a total sucker for that stuff, but it's the kinda weepy shit the hus hates, so we'll see. Somthing fun though!

Tuskers will be doing an early evening party from 7pm and then going on a pub outing to the river to watch the fireworks and then a New Years Eve Raw night around town for those with the stamina.

The event at the zoo sounds like a nice departure from the norm! Will have to check that out. Thanks for the post! A dinner at Babylon and then a walk to the zoo would keep us away from the mayhem downtown! If you find out more info on the zoo event, please reply again, and I will do the same from here. Enjoy the rest of 2007......

Mae Kam Pong is a great place to visit right now if you want to get away from the city. The Sakura are in brilliant bloom on the pass toward Lampang. Should be guest house or home stay rooms still available right before the Mae Kam Pong Waterfalls. That would certainly be a quiet way to bring in the New Year.

Tuskers will be doing an early evening party from 7pm and then going on a pub outing to the river to watch the fireworks and then a New Years Eve Raw night around town for those with the stamina.

:o mmm, that is a tempter. Yep, one needs to sample as many venues as poss to enjoy a proper piss-up :D

ACK! My love and I decided to take a fortifying nap at around 5 pm, so as to be awake all night...slept a scootch too long, missed Tusker's, but did get to the river in time to see a few faulty fireworks explode far short of their goal, have a beer, send up a lantern, and down a couple between Loi Kroh and the fake boxing bar. Best 2008 to all, and hopefully we won't sleep thru the next big celebration! (Does this mean we're old?...)