Wish I Were In Thailand

siamamerican

Reading this forum while residing in the US has made being away from Thailand more palatable. Myself and many others left Thailand with the intention to return when they had the cash to live comfortably. The rat race is addictive and money becomes king. "If I worked one more year, I could save enough for another ten in Thailand". For the last 3 years, I've told myself that this year will be the last. This year better be the last :o.

Can't wait for the day I will have to face the visa issues, noise and other annoyances. You don't know how lucky you are until you have to leave Thailand because it was your only option.

Five years have past since leaving Thailand and I hope Thailand is everything it was in my early thirties. For all of you lucky farangs, I'm jealous. Happy New Year and hope the good times keep rolling.

Been there and done that, the enforced departure bit that is. But I went back to nothing. No job, no money (to speak of) and no prospect of a return to these parts. I am now well and truly on my feet and on the way back but also find myself caught in the evil web of the financial spider. At the moment my industry is booming and pay rates are going up all the time so it's always "one more contract and I'll live a better life in Thailand". For me, in mid fifties, it's a matter of not throwing in the towel too late so I still have sufficient life left in me to enjoy life.

I hope, on your return, Thailand lives up to your expectations and the good times not only keep rolling but get better.

Been there and done that, the enforced departure bit that is. But I went back to nothing. No job, no money (to speak of) and no prospect of a return to these parts. I am now well and truly on my feet and on the way back but also find myself caught in the evil web of the financial spider. At the moment my industry is booming and pay rates are going up all the time so it's always "one more contract and I'll live a better life in Thailand". For me, in mid fifties, it's a matter of not throwing in the towel too late so I still have sufficient life left in me to enjoy life.

I hope, on your return, Thailand lives up to your expectations and the good times not only keep rolling but get better.

Thanks, just signed my last contract/stay bonus incentive, but been down this road before. This time I think I'm serious.

Like Phil H., there was one post-retirement point when I returned to America, to nothing. $7.50 per hour, full time, at all three jobs I was offered, but for which I was overqualified! Finally I came to Thailand, and got more respect on the job (as an English teacher, no less!). You just never know what the future holds. But one thing remains constant: I have never regretted leaving the old rat race at age 56.

Reading this forum while residing in the US has made being away from Thailand more palatable. Myself and many others left Thailand with the intention to return when they had the cash to live comfortably. The rat race is addictive and money becomes king. "If I worked one more year, I could save enough for another ten in Thailand". For the last 3 years, I've told myself that this year will be the last. This year better be the last :o.

Can't wait for the day I will have to face the visa issues, noise and other annoyances. You don't know how lucky you are until you have to leave Thailand because it was your only option.

Five years have past since leaving Thailand and I hope Thailand is everything it was in my early thirties. For all of you lucky farangs, I'm jealous. Happy New Year and hope the good times keep rolling.

---------------------

I almost retired in LOS two years ago. I was really looking forward to it.

Things changed and I am still in practice here in San Diego, there are definitely worse places to be.

As I look back at the past couple of years, I'm realizing everything is just as it should be.

LOS has been my favorite place since 1971.

It will always be my favorite playground.

However now I never see myself leaving San Diego.

Never say never though... :D

hmm i came back to the west voluntarily for a couple weeks and i feel like by living in thailand i am missing out on a lot! but then i remember before i had to go back home to make money and i hated every minute of it, feeling like i was missing out on so much by not being in thailand. guess you have to strike a balance... personally i am thinking of living part time in the west and part time in thailand so that i don't miss out on either world.

Thailand has changed a lot over the past 15 years - mostly for the worse, however it still beats the Uk hands down. I never enter into any debates regarding life. politics, change etc regarding the UK because the whole way of life has become hermetically sealed.

It is the land of milk and honey for the new EU immigrants and refugees - they have an optimistic view. But unfortunatley, for the average brit the party is over!

Yeah the annoyance we have to put up with here is Thailand is a relatively small price to pay compared to job related stress and the rat race back in the States.

Though I truly miss many things that are lacking here in BKK :o

Whats lacking?

Gotta be realistic and the toil pays for all those little condos and things that we all love so much....... :D

so where does the REAL dosh come from.................. :o

from 2006...sure its gone UP since then.....

Based on World Bank Development Indicators published in July 2006, here are the 10 richest countries in the world. GNP per capita for each country is shown in US dollars.

Ten Richest Countries (based on 2004 GNP per capita in US$)

Luxembourg ... $56,380

Norway ... $51,810

Switzerland ... $49,600

United States ... $41,440

Denmark ... $40,750

Iceland ... $37,920

Japan ... $37,050

Sweden ... $35,840

Ireland ... $34,310

United Kingdom ... $33,630

Luxembourg's high GNP per capita is due in part because a significant part of its workforce lives in neighbouring countries. Non-resident workers are not counted in Luxembourg's population which in turn raises the country's GNP per capita score. Bordered by Belgium, France and Germany, Luxembourg is strategically located close to its primary international trade partners particularly Belgium and the Netherlands. As a member of the European Union, Luxembourg also enjoys the advantages of the open European market.

Canada finished in 21st place with GNP per capita of $28,310 (again, amount is in US$).

And The Winners Are...

Another measure that determines the world's richest countries is the GNP per capita based on global purchasing power parity (PPP). GNP per capita based on PPP represents the statistic converted to international dollars using purchasing power parity rates. An international dollar has the same purchasing power in a given country as a U.S. dollar has in the United States.

Ten Richest Countries (based on 2004 PPP GNP per capita in international$)

Luxembourg ... $61,610

United States ... $39,820

Norway ... $38,680

Switzerland ... $35,660

Ireland ... $32,930

Iceland ... $32,370

Austria ... $31,800

Denmark ... $31,770

Hong Kong ... $31,560

Belgium ... $31,530

The U.K. finished in 11th place :D with PPP GNP per capita of $31,430 while Canada came in 5 places lower at 16th place with $30,760 in international $.

The world's richest nations enjoy GNPs per capita up to 115 times greater than those of the world's poorest countries.

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is the sum of value added by all resident producers. Nations with the fastest growing GDPs were Chad (29.8%), Ukraine (12.1%), China (10.1%), Russia (7.7%), Iceland (5.2%) and Luxembourg (4.5%),

Sources: World Bank Development Indicators for 2006 Table 1.1 - Size of the Economy and Table 1.6 - Key indicators for other economies :D

These are my exact sentiments on this subject. I am also here in the State with 20 years at my current job, I have been giving myself deadline as to when to make this move to Thailand but raises and yearly bonus is keeping here.

Just like you I hope to make is happen in 2008 for at least a year and see what it's really like being there and if I can make a living there. My greatest fear is coming back here with no job prospect and very little money to start over.

I for one just hate any kind of dealings with any gov't agency, but I'll be willing to do what I gotta do to get a yearly visa when our move will be permanent.

We'll be heading that way in 5 weeks for a 5 week vacation, so it'll be good just to laze around the moo ban chilling out. Beer Chang in one hand and something to munch in the other. Masages every other day and a quick trip to Luang Prabang to see what we can see.

Reading this forum while residing in the US has made being away from Thailand more palatable. Myself and many others left Thailand with the intention to return when they had the cash to live comfortably. The rat race is addictive and money becomes king. "If I worked one more year, I could save enough for another ten in Thailand". For the last 3 years, I've told myself that this year will be the last. This year better be the last :D.

These are my exact sentiments on this subject. I am also here in the State with 20 years at my current job, I have been giving myself deadline as to when to make this move to Thailand but raises and yearly bonus is keeping here.

Just like you I hope to make is happen in 2008 for at least a year and see what it's really like being there and if I can make a living there. My greatest fear is coming back here with no job prospect and very little money to start over.

Equally.............if you don,t do the move..........you will ALWAYS wonder " what might have been "

Sometimes in life...you have to bite the bullet and just do it. You only have one life right? ( depending on your religion :D )

I did........and NO regrets. I made good money in the UK......but i was also killing myself 14 hours a day.....stressed to the max with targets, payments , bils, crime and the freekin weather. :o

I make a LOT LESS now...but I am so much MORE happier and relaxed.

Edited by stevemiddie

Great that you're thinking positive. An awful lot of folks try to make a go at it and fail because they aren't financially prepared. Then they blame Thailand for the rest of their lives for their own failure.

:D

The rat race is addictive and money becomes king. "If I worked one more year, I could save enough for another ten in Thailand". For the last 3 years, I've told myself that this year will be the last

Now go read a few of the many posts from guys who are either struggling to get by in Thailand or having to leave because the Bht exchange rate has moved a few percent and remind yourself.....

There is a time of life to make money and a time to spend it.

And that for the vast majority Thailand is a great place to spend money and a lousey place to earn money.

The point is, telling yourself that this year will be the last in Farangland making good money is not the same thing as realizing that this year will be the last in Thailand scraping by.

Edited by GuestHouse

My greatest fear is coming back here with no job prospect and very little money to start over.

Yes, "home" can be a cruel world when you have nothing and about the only place you'll find sympathy is in a dictionary.

I can relate to these fears. America can be hard place to live without money. 5 years ago I had $10k to my name and zero good job prospects. Life has been kind to me the last 4 years and confident I won't have to experience being nearly broke ever again.

One more year and each year has got much easier to handle than the last. The memories of living in Thailand fade as the days pass and the reality settles in. Nothing of worth is free and after coming to that realization, I've worked every day with the goal in mind of returning to Thailand. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have a purpose.

Reading this forum while residing in the US has made being away from Thailand more palatable...You don't know how lucky you are until you have to leave Thailand because it was your only option. For all of you lucky farangs, I'm jealous. Happy New Year and hope the good times keep rolling.

If I may ask, what is it that you miss so much about Thailand? Besides the oppressive heat and humidity, horrendous air, ground, water, and noise pollution in most areas of the country, shoddy public services and utilities, general lack of any cultural activities (especially outside Bangkok) what is it that draws you to Thailand or in what way is Thailand, in your view, a better place to reside than the US or any other developed country?

The rat race is addictive and money becomes king. "If I worked one more year, I could save enough for another ten in Thailand". For the last 3 years, I've told myself that this year will be the last

Now go read a few of the many posts from guys who are either struggling to get by in Thailand or having to leave because the Bht exchange rate has moved a few percent and remind yourself.....

And that for the vast majority Thailand is a great place to spend money and a lousey place to earn money.

The point is, telling yourself that this year will be the last in Farangland making good money is not the same thing as realizing that this year will be the last in Thailand scraping by.

Spot on!

I TOTALLY understand the desire to get out of the rat race. Counted the DAYS till I could get out.

That said, Thailand is a great place in so many ways but I'd not call it paradise. I don't understand the manic obsession to live here. I like living in the States as well. Love my friends there, my old neighborhood, the order, the scenery, being a first-class citizen, the food, the shopping, the fantastic variety of goods, services, and gadgets not found in Thailand, the easy communication, the lack of corruption.

If you work in Thailand, you will probably enjoy lower stress than back home, but it's definitely WORK, no doubt about it.

It's good to keep a foot in both worlds I think.

And it's good to to travel around and enjoy other places as well. As poster Pratamnak said in other thread, there's much more to life than just Thailand. Keep things in perspective, I say.

Reading this forum while residing in the US has made being away from Thailand more palatable...You don't know how lucky you are until you have to leave Thailand because it was your only option. For all of you lucky farangs, I'm jealous. Happy New Year and hope the good times keep rolling.

If I may ask, what is it that you miss so much about Thailand? Besides the oppressive heat and humidity, horrendous air, ground, water, and noise pollution in most areas of the country, shoddy public services and utilities, general lack of any cultural activities (especially outside Bangkok) what is it that draws you to Thailand or in what way is Thailand, in your view, a better place to reside than the US or any other developed country?

Definitely can ask, but not sure I can articulate why. I like the heat and can deal with the humidity. Grew-up in Arizona which is still one of my favorite states to visit and the heat is comparable to Thailand. I don't mind the lack of cultural activities. Spend most of my spare time reading, exercising and learning something of interest. The noise doesn't bother me much. I enjoy the rumble of the cities and the excitement. If I couldn't sleep, I usually would make the best of it and go out to a bar or restaurant. The bad ground water and public services don't bother me in the least.

I'm financially secure, but not rich. Living in Thailand would allow me the luxury to relax and play a little harder. I don't think this is the main reason though. If I was wealthy, I would still choose to live in Thailand. It's simply more exciting in my opinion and if the excitement wears thin, I'll move somewhere else. I fortunately have a great wife and family. I'm not living a pathetic life in the US and really enjoy almost every day.

Thailand surely has its downsides. I hate the pollution and hmm, can't think of any thing else.

If I may ask, do you live in Thailand? If you, why considering all the problems.

but not sure I can articulate why.

I like the heat and can deal with the humidity... Spend most of my spare time reading, exercising and learning something of interest. The noise doesn't bother me much. I enjoy the rumble of the cities and the excitement. If I couldn't sleep, I usually would make the best of it and go out to a bar or restaurant. The bad ground water and public services don't bother me in the least.

I'm financially secure, but not rich. Living in Thailand would allow me the luxury to relax and play a little harder. I don't think this is the main reason though. If I was wealthy, I would still choose to live in Thailand. It's simply more exciting in my opinion and if the excitement wears thin, I'll move somewhere else. I fortunately have a great wife and family. I'm not living a pathetic life in the US and really enjoy almost every day.

Thailand surely has its downsides. I hate the pollution and hmm, can't think of any thing else.

If I may ask, do you live in Thailand? If you, why considering all the problems.

Siamamerican...it sounds to me like you have no logical reason for preferring Thailand over the US (as you yourself admit). You just brush aside the negatives, which is fine if that is your wish, but you have only the vaguest of generalities for wanting to return and live here. You seem to want to make excuses for all that the negative but don't have any positives to offer as a reason for returning...other than to relax more and "play" a little harder, whatever that means. As you grew up in Arizona, I can understand why the lack cultural activities would not be important to you. Then you will be at home, in this respect, in Thailand.

There is only so much reading, exercising, and learning something of interest one can do for the rest of one's lifetime...believe me, I know. I am glad noise doesn't bother you...you should continue to love Thailand then and you will get all the high decibel rumbling you want. Again, I am glad you enjoy pollution and the lack of decent public services because again you will continue to love Thailand for them.

If you do have a wife and kids, I encourage you to search this forum for posts dealing with the lack of quality education and the cost of decent international schools in Thailand. Also, you marriage would likely suffer if you brought a wife to Thailand as the occasions for temptation would likely be too many and often for you to resist.

Yes, I do live in Thailand. That is why I do not have blinders on when it comes to the negatives and positives of living here full-time. I consider the problems because there is a definite trade-off in living in a developing country vs. the developed West. However, short term visitors often don't see them.

but not sure I can articulate why.

I like the heat and can deal with the humidity... Spend most of my spare time reading, exercising and learning something of interest. The noise doesn't bother me much. I enjoy the rumble of the cities and the excitement. If I couldn't sleep, I usually would make the best of it and go out to a bar or restaurant. The bad ground water and public services don't bother me in the least.

Siamamerican...it sounds to me like you have no logical reason for preferring Thailand over the US (as you yourself admit). You just brush aside the negatives, which is fine if that is your wish, but you have only the vaguest of generalities for wanting to return and live here. You seem to want to make excuses for all that the negative but don't have any positives to offer as a reason for returning...other than to relax more and "play" a little harder, whatever that means. As you grew up in Arizona, I can understand why the lack cultural activities would not be important to you. Then you will be at home, in this respect, in Thailand.

There is only so much reading, exercising, and learning something of interest one can do for the rest of one's lifetime...believe me, I know. I am glad noise doesn't bother you...you should continue to love Thailand then and you will get all the high decibel rumbling you want. Again, I am glad you enjoy pollution and the lack of decent public services because again you will continue to love Thailand for them.

If you do have a wife and kids, I encourage you to search this forum for posts dealing with the lack of quality education and the cost of decent international schools in Thailand. Also, you marriage would likely suffer if you brought a wife to Thailand as the occasions for temptation would likely be too many and often for you to resist.

Yes, I do live in Thailand. That is why I do not have blinders on when it comes to the negatives and positives of living here full-time. I consider the problems because there is a definite trade-off in living in a developing country vs. the developed West. However, short term visitors often don't see them.

You seem to brush aside my question. Why do you live in Thailand? Really, your capacity to list the negatives is a little shallow. You're more than willing to list the negatives and then tell us you love Thailand, but why escapes me. What are these trade-offs you mention?

I lived in Thailand for roughly 4 years. Am I still short term?

When did I state that I enjoy pollution? As for loving the lack of public services, I never stated that. You are so intent on making a point, you failed to read my post. As for making excuse for all the negatives, what are you talking about. I stated that some of your negatives are not negatives for me. No excuses, just an opinion.

I don't have kids and no plans on having any in the future so education isn't an issue.

Exercising, reading and learning will keep me busy... believe me. I've managed to enjoy life to its fullest to this point and if you want some advice; calm down and try to enjoy yourself. It would suck to die angry.

Edited by siamamerican

Agree with some of your post. I don't have to read posts from other guys to understand the risks. Had money in Thailand and left with very little. It was the best decision I ever made. I have no regrets with the The 4 years I spent in Thailand and leaving semi-broke. Why not spend money when you're young and see the world. I did just that and, now that I'm 40, have managed to be financially secure. I've seen much of the world and feel I'm better off than if had worked all the years I travelled.

The key is to know your financial limitations and keep an eye on the future. I can keep making money and retire rich or semi-retire young with very little financial concerns. I'm comfortable with the latter.

Those are my logical reasons NOT coming to live my retirement in Thailand.

Considers that I'm a Thai, so no-visa issues here. Plenty of relatives and friends to share a good time with. Also an owner of the land (bought 17 years ago, intended to build a house to live when we retired ). But TL has changed so much and so rapid in the past decade that I don't think we will be happy living here.

Three years ago, after hubby retired, we moved from NY and bought a house in Florida. We pick Florida because hubby can't stand the freezing cold in NY winter.

For me I pick cold :D over hot-muggy any day. :D:o

I consider myself fortunate for I'm divining times between living in the US ( up to 9 month ) and TL for the rest of the year.

You seem to brush aside my question. Why do you live in Thailand? Really, your capacity to list the negatives is a little shallow. You're more than willing to list the negatives and then tell us you love Thailand, but why escapes me. What are these trade-offs you mention?

I lived in Thailand for roughly 4 years. Am I still short term?

When did I state that I enjoy pollution? As for loving the lack of public services, I never stated that. You are so intent on making a point, you failed to read my post. As for making excuse for all the negatives, what are you talking about. I stated that some of your negatives are not negatives for me. No excuses, just an opinion.

I don't have kids and no plans on having any in the future so education isn't an issue.

Exercising, reading and learning will keep me busy... believe me. I've managed to enjoy life to its fullest to this point and if you want some advice; calm down and try to enjoy yourself. It would suck to die angry.

There are several reasons I chose to remain in Thailand (for now). The cost of living is still reasonable (especially outside Bangkok). The cost of accommodation and food is not too expensive and the quality can be very good. The Thai people themselves are usually very friendly and helpful. They are also quite accepting of most of the farangs in their mist (which is often not the case for "foreigners" back in my home, the USA). As a single male, the opportunity for casual liaisons with members of the opposite sex is also an attraction (this is true anywhere in Asia vs. the West). However, as any long termer will tell you, this is certainly not a major factor in staying in-country.

4 years...you are starting to learn the ropes :o

Maybe I misquoted you...I guess you said all the pollution and lack of public services "didn't bother" you...not that you actually enjoyed them.

My main point for anyone considering a long-term move to Thailand is to throughly think about it and not to approach it with rose-tinted glasses.

There are several reasons I chose to remain in Thailand (for now). The cost of living is still reasonable (especially outside Bangkok). The cost of accommodation and food is not too expensive and the quality can be very good. The Thai people themselves are usually very friendly and helpful. They are also quite accepting of most of the farangs in their mist (which is often not the case for "foreigners" back in my home, the USA). As a single male, the opportunity for casual liaisons with members of the opposite sex is also an attraction (this is true anywhere in Asia vs. the West). However, as any long termer will tell you, this is certainly not a major factor in staying in-country.

4 years...you are starting to learn the ropes :o

Maybe I misquoted you...I guess you said all the pollution and lack of public services "didn't bother" you...not that you actually enjoyed them.

My main point for anyone considering a long-term move to Thailand is to throughly think about it and not to approach it with rose-tinted glasses.

My main issue with your prior post were the misquotes. You seem to be comfortable with yourself and the reasons you live in Thailand.

You make a valid point in regards to considering the consequences of a permanent move to Thailand. I've given the move to Thailand much thought the last 5 years. Thailand doesn't have to be the end all. If I have a change of heart, I'll have many options. The lack of options is why I left Thailand 5 years ago. I would hate to be in Thailand with little money and past my peak earning years. Returning to the US and working at Walmart would depress me to no end..

Equally.............if you don,t do the move..........you will ALWAYS wonder " what might have been "

Sometimes in life...you have to bite the bullet and just do it. You only have one life right? ( depending on your religion )

I did........and NO regrets. I made good money in the UK......but i was also killing myself 14 hours a day.....stressed to the max with targets, payments , bils, crime and the freekin weather.

Right on!

I'd be dead by now if I'd stayed in the UK, really.

It's sad to hear all the breadheads go on about money. One day they'll realise that money and happiness are not related. I had a very well paying job in Scotland and came here with 1000 pounds 14 years ago. That was blown in the first 2 weeks and I lived with hardly any money for many years. Now I have lots of money again but no happier than I was 3/7/15 years ago.

OP, I hope you don't die try to find happiness.

Sometimes in life...you have to bite the bullet and just do it. You only have one life right? ( depending on your religion )

I did........and NO regrets. I made good money in the UK......but i was also killing myself 14 hours a day.....stressed to the max with targets, payments , bils, crime and the freekin weather.

Right on!

I'd be dead by now if I'd stayed in the UK, really.

It's sad to hear all the breadheads go on about money. One day they'll realise that money and happiness are not related. I had a very well paying job in Scotland and came here with 1000 pounds 14 years ago. That was blown in the first 2 weeks and I lived with hardly any money for many years. Now I have lots of money again but no happier than I was 3/7/15 years ago.

OP, I hope you don't die try to find happiness.

Don't fret much. If I died tomorrow, it will be as a happy man. Having money isn't why I'm happy, but it does make life more enjoyable.

What would have come of you 14 years ago if you got in a major accident? How would you have paid your bills? Many unlucky penniless people never recover from disasters and live a pitiful life. Also, if you're married like myself, your wife has to deal with the consequences.

I don't condemn the decisions you've made but as I aged, I sought more security. After college through my mid thirties, I spent more time traveling than working. Now, after 5 short years, I am able move to Thailand and not have to worry about financial issues.

I make more money than I ever dreamed, but my day to day life really hasn't changed. Still drive the same used car I bought 5 years ago, eat at the same restaurants, travel coach... Only one real difference, I don't stress about the future and this makes each day a little better.