Are Bank Accounts In Us $ Already Available For Ordinary Thais ?

In June this year I read in the newspapers that a proposal to allow ordinary Thais to open accounts in US$ was submitted to premier Surayud.

A couple of months ago I asked in the Siam Commercial Bank if my thai wife could open a bank account in US $ and they say she cannot, that s only for companies.

So, what s happened with this law ? Have been or will be enforced ?

Yes you can. I don't know about Siam Commercial bank but Kasikorm and Bangkok bank offer it and you probably have to go to the main office to open one.

You are allowed to convert Baht(only) to a foreign currency account, in other words you can't use foreign currency to open, deposit, withdrawal; if you do the cost is substancial :o

Yes you can. I don't know about Siam Commercial bank but Kasikorm and Bangkok bank offer it and you probably have to go to the main office to open one.

You are allowed to convert Baht(only) to a foreign currency account, in other words you can't use foreign currency to open, deposit, withdrawal; if you do the cost is substancial :o

I didnt mean that kind of account

I mean real dollars accounts for Thais.

That s in the Bangkok Bank I know before, but it is a robbery, you have to pay 5% for every deposit,withdrawal,etc..

In few words, if you make many transactions, your money will disappear soon. I saw this proposal from Bangkok Bank, but obviously I passed.

Now the proposal was $ accounts for ordinary Thai people but I am not aware when/if the law will come into force. I would than open one for my wife...

Edited by maxcrc