Cost Of International School

YoungAndRice

What is the price range for International (English speaking) School for 6-18 year olds, and what is the best way to go about picking one?

Definitely depends on what country you live in.

In Vietnam it's

$11,000 to $15,000 USD per year (10 month academic year).

This does not include school uniforms, extracurricular fees, and extras.

As for picking one, I'd consider a "real" international school that is a member of the international body. These schools are monitored and visited by representatives.

Also, there are nationality quotas. No more than 25% of a particular nationality can attend. If 25.1% of say, Koreans or Brits are attending the school, then it's not an International School.

Frankly speaking, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

'Frankly speaking, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. '

that is a ridiculous comment.....coming from someone wanting to sound obnoxious perhaps.

Agreed. I suspect many parents make sacrifices to afford it and relatively few just ink the cheque without caring about the cost. I suspect further that many of those being so flippant are getting it paid for them and they too would have to look hard to find the cash for say 3 school fees if it were necessary.

As the father of a 5 month old daughter, I am acutely aware of how much it will cost and I will have to make plans to ensure that adequate funds are in place. If it was necessary to get the best possible fit between income and affordability then so be. You do the best you can.

I certainly will be looking for value for money irrespective of whether I can pay Bt250k per year or Bt5,000,000 per year.

Edited by torrenova

100k to 500k per year.

Best way to pick is go interview and tour the school of the ones near where you live, unless you are moving to be near a better school.

I confer, Chiangmai, 150,000 to 350,000 per annum per student in the age range you've quoted.

Do forget all the setup and registration fees, plus plus for uniforms transport and board, whichever is necessary.

In short, it's "really really expensive". It's in fact the odd thing our in a country where just about anything else is very good value.

Guess their rationale is something like "Nobody in their right mind would want to raise kids in Thailand, so the unlucky ones that do are likely sent here by their government or multinational company, along with the financial package to afford these really really outrageous prices."

Maybe the OP go through the International School Fees thread for more info, but my daughter goes to St.Andrews in Rayong (kindergarten) and I think it is well worth the money we pay for fees. Sometimes you don't always get what you pay for in regards to international schools here and what you have to pay, but in our case - we are definitely getting our moneys worth with our daughters education.

standrews_fees07-08.gif

:o I still find the price actually discusting. Sure the education that you will get might be worth the price pay, but i still think it is better to take my son to germany and let him participate the PISA chaos.

At least this chaos is for free, and my son can show what he is able to do, and not have to be entertained all the time.

As far as i understand most of the forum members here are deployed for their companies down to TH. I am not. I am just one of the lucky guys who made a lucky Thai girl pregnant and is trying now to take responsibility.

This does not mean that i will join the schoo fee gangbang at all costs.

It is so nice to see how Thailand still seperate most of their own people to get a proper education. Just because they can not pay the price, it does not mean in the same time that if they would have the right to join this school that they would be not able to pass it with a good result. Intelligence is not really connected directly to money. Personal opinion.

Education should be a gift that is grant to everybody, and not a special treatment for better paid ones daddies and mummys.

It is already Off-topic so i close it myself here.

Cheers,

Daedalus

My daughter is 13 and in year 9 at BIS here in Phuket

3 terms/

Yearly fees..... 450,000 bath includes lunch. an 18 year old would be about 480,000,

6 year old, i think is 350,000

Add to that a 125,000 entry fee (just to get into the school)

and a 90,000 baht NON INTEREST refundable fee.

British education

QSI here in phuket charges about the same and only has about 120 kids ( vs over 850 at BIS) but has no where near the facilities and is American education

Thats it here in Phuket for international schools. There is one Bi-lingual school but it is only up to m2 (a 13 year old = year 8 british, year 7 american)

Needless to say its in my opinion not worth it. This upcoming summer we will take my daughter to the states where she will attend the same IGCSE/IP program in md for FREE

Edited by phuketrichard

super crazy expensive those prices

a thai earn about 15.000 baht per month ...

why pay so extremely much ?

i'm also a farang who made a Thai girl (and married) pregnant and the children are going to a Thai school, no need for international crapp !!!!

the school earn disguestengly much money for a normal education in English

its not the 25OOO baht per month they pay their English teachers that will cost them so much !!!

Some Thai's earn plenty more than your 15k a month....the ones earning 15k a month would not be considering international school, even if they knew what it was.

If you are a foreigner and you have a half thai child and you are sending them to a local thai school, then good luck on his education and future possibilities. God help him or her if you should need to return overseas at any time to live again.

Many school teachers at good international schools are paid a lot more than 25k....I think you are mixing up 'english' teachers with real school teachers.

While I agree that a lot of these prices are over the top, if you are foreign and have kids here and want the best for them and if you can afford it, then we have very little choice but to pay it.

International 'crapp' is one way to describe it, but this may also be a reflection on your own education....

The real, properly affiliated internat'l schools in Thailand are in a category (price and quality wise) that bears no resemblance to Thai govt. schools. Thai schools give stupid multiple choice tests that require limited thought, and students simply regurgitate the memorized material. Class sizes of 40 to 55, poor facilities, inadequate teachers. By contrast, most of the real international schools require them to solve a math problem, write an original essay in proper English, think creatively, etc. Many intn'l school teachers earn 75K to 125K and are fully certified as professional educators in their home country.

If you can't afford to educate your child properly, you run the risk of giving them 18 worthless years that prepares them for nothing except being a salesclerk who can't even use a calculator. Or, a rice farmer, or a sex worker.

25,000 /month for an international teacher?? where?? BIS pays the ones hired outside Thailand over 80,000/month PLUS 15,000 housing allowwence.

I agree with Mr Squigle, if u have a half thai kid and you are unconcerned and dont care about your childs future then by all means keep them in the thai school and they will grow up just like the thai's that put the PPP in power. At the least shell out enough to send them to a good bi-lingual school. Those can be had for around 100,000/year.

Don't sell ur kids future cause u dont want to put out the money. If you cant afford it then send them back to their own country

All we as parents can give our children is the best education we can.

I have thought long and hard about my daughters eductaion and hence reason she will go to the states for High school and university. I also agree the price is high but my daughter is worth it.

As both my husband and I are foreigners an International school is our only option for our daughter. Regardless of where our daughter would go to school (Australia or Thailand), we always said that she would attend a private school. At least with the international schools in Thailand, they are free from religion - whereas in Australia (WA), going to a private school means being sent to a school that is run by some religious organisation (catholic, protestant, presbyterian, baptist, etc).

There was a reason why we waited until our early 30's to start our family, and that was to make sure we were financially secure to provide our child with an education equal to or better than she would get in Australia. Private education ANYWHERE costs a small fortune and to many people it's a rip-off and waste of money, especially when you can get a public/govt education for free.... But the reality is that you usually get what you pay for, and having our daughter attend a school where the standard of education/facilities/teachers and safety are poor/substandard or questionable is just not an option for us. Fortunately for us, we've found a school in Thailand that our daughter loves, and one that fulfills all our requirements for what we want and expect for our daughters education.

The real, properly affiliated internat'l schools in Thailand are in a category (price and quality wise) that bears no resemblance to Thai govt. schools. Thai schools give stupid multiple choice tests that require limited thought, and students simply regurgitate the memorized material. Class sizes of 40 to 55, poor facilities, inadequate teachers. By contrast, most of the real international schools require them to solve a math problem, write an original essay in proper English, think creatively, etc. Many intn'l school teachers earn 75K to 125K and are fully certified as professional educators in their home country.

If you can't afford to educate your child properly, you run the risk of giving them 18 worthless years that prepares them for nothing except being a salesclerk who can't even use a calculator. Or, a rice farmer, or a sex worker.

Yes well said, I totally agree with your comments

I would like to point out the International Schools in Thailand are no more expensive then in other Asian countries, and in some cases cheaper. Compare the price for ISB in Bangkok and [the coincidently named] ISB in Beijing.

TH

I think its cheaper in Singapore - and given the marks they seem to get here compared worldwide for both the IB and A-Levels etc they are not doing too badly.

I would like to see marks from Thailand in comparison.

Singapore is more than 25% higher than Phuket and over 15% higher than the most exepensive schools in Bangkok.

Plus when u add in cost of living.

This is a fact as i had a few freinds that sent their kids down there as for sure the quaility of education is higher.

I also know some teachers that transfered down there from Phuket.

Singapore is more than 25% higher than Phuket and over 15% higher than the most exepensive schools in Bangkok.

Plus when u add in cost of living.

This is a fact as i had a few freinds that sent their kids down there as for sure the quaility of education is higher.

I also know some teachers that transfered down there from Phuket.

Yes the cost of living is generally higher (Except in my own cae where I know I spend less per month in Singapore than I would in Thailand but I am an exception no doubt)

I will try and find out the cost of good schools here from colleagues who send their kids to them - I am pretty sure its not 25% higher than Thailand.

We will have to be careful of comparing like with like though of course.

I was talking with my pal on an MBA abpout this the otrher day and he sends his kids to the Global Indian School as he did not want International or local Singaporean schools - he did not mention price but said it was reasonable and even though he works for Tata he pay's himself.

I agree equivalent schools in Singapore are cheaper, Singapore American School is about USD 15k per year. ISB (Bangkok) is about USD20k. But I don't think it a fair comparison, which is why I used Beijing, which used to cost more, but since they charge USD and ISB (Bangkok) charges baht, ISB (Bangkok) is now more [in USD].

TH

This is just a question so please don't jump down my throat an tell me I'm the worst parent in the world, and please don't tell me my 8 day old child is going to grow up and be a prostitute!! very harsh that one I thought. Anyway I'm wondering if finances are a problem isn't a compromise possible. Couldn't you send your child to a cheaper bi-lingual school as someone suggested earlier, and then make sure you put the time & effort in yourself at home to make sure your child is just as smart as he would have been at a very expensive international affair. Might not be possible in the later years but surely up to the age of 10 or so. I guess the point I'm making is that, is it not a possibility that some people ship there kids off to the nearest expensive, international school, so they can chill out and spend more time on the golf course. The same kind of people who have nannies/maids doing all the nappy changing etc.

This is just a question so please don't jump down my throat an tell me I'm the worst parent in the world, and please don't tell me my 8 day old child is going to grow up and be a prostitute!! very harsh that one I thought. Anyway I'm wondering if finances are a problem isn't a compromise possible. Couldn't you send your child to a cheaper bi-lingual school as someone suggested earlier, and then make sure you put the time & effort in yourself at home to make sure your child is just as smart as he would have been at a very expensive international affair. Might not be possible in the later years but surely up to the age of 10 or so. I guess the point I'm making is that, is it not a possibility that some people ship there kids off to the nearest expensive, international school, so they can chill out and spend more time on the golf course. The same kind of people who have nannies/maids doing all the nappy changing etc.

I have a nanny and I have a maid. I send my son to what I believe to be a good International school as I believe that is best for him NOT me.

I am not a teacher therefore I do not believe I can do as good a job educating my son as a qualified teacher can :o

Seems to be a lot of'sour grapes' in your post about people having maids and nanny. Look at it as a way of redistributing the wealth :D

I have a nanny and I have a maid. I send my son to what I believe to be a good International school as I believe that is best for him NOT me.

I am not a teacher therefore I do not believe I can do as good a job educating my son as a qualified teacher can :o

Seems to be a lot of'sour grapes' in your post about people having maids and nanny. Look at it as a way of redistributing the wealth :D

JacknDanny - My thoughts exactly. Our 4 year old child goes to an international school because it is a place I feel that she will receive the best possible foundation to her education.... My girl definitely isn't sent to the school she attends so that I can play golf, go shopping, or so I can spend doing more things for myself. :D

I did say SOME people, not everybody. I wasn't judging every parent of every child at an international school, so please don't take it so personally. I just disagree whole heartedly, with the people on this thread (most of them it would seem) that are implying, if you aren't wealthy, you can write you child's entire future off already. There's a chance, when the time comes, I won't be able to afford a top of the range international school, but I can guarantee you, one way or another my child's education WILL NOT suffer. It's very easy to sit there and preach when you have the finances, but some people have to make do in other ways. I can assure you jackndanny there are no sour grapes on my part. I wish decent people all the luck in the world, the richer you are the happier I'll be for you, and I wasn't suggesting there's anything wrong with having maids or nannies, if you're still being an attentive parent, but please don't tell me there isn't wealthy people out there who pass the buck of raising there children simply because they can afford to.