150cc Turbo Motorcycle

Richard-BKK

Some girls can come with the strangest Christmas presents, that said I got a little turbo charger, this was to sponsor a long time idea to build a small motorcycle turbo bolt-on kit.

So with this, turbocharger I can start planning things again. The question is, are there more people who did comparable projects. The idea is to create a plus 150cc turbocharged motorcycle, tryouts of 2 years ago on an 110cc motorcycle failed as we where not able to raise higher then 5 psi the target was 15 to 20 psi.

I have seen modifications by a group of Thai youngsters who modified a Honda Wave 125i by creating an air-intake (super)charged by a variable electric ventilator (likely sourced from a computer processor cooler) they seemed to get the engine speed from the ECU and the fan speed seemed to be fine tuned by a low-power dimmer. If anybody knows these youngsters I would love to talk with them.

I think if they used a Computer Cooler they had more of a restrictor then anything else. Not powerfull engough to bring the nessesary air to the piston, I don't want to talk about supercharge at all. Forget that Idea. Even a real Turbo may be a problem with a little engine, but I am not a mechanic.

I was at a night market/fair in Kanchanaburi this evening.

Honda were there exhibiting their bikes and also had a number of specials.

One looked like a stretched Honda wave but could be wrong.

It had a skinny front wheel and a huge wide one on the back.

It also had an exhaust driven turbo!

Looked great and the amount of effort put in to build it must have taken quite a while.

Unfortunately the Honda sales people must have been elsewhere eating their somtam as there was nobody available to ask any questions about this particular 'beast'.

I'm not totally hip on turbocharging, but it's my understanding that in order to get your 15 PSI, you're going to have to lower your compression ratio. There's a few ways of handling that, either getting a shorter throw crank, and/or going with shorter connecting rods, and/or increasing the chamber volume (either through larger gaskets or piston heads that are flat or 'dished').

One thing that's for sure is that I would be very leery of a homebrew turbo setup using what appears to be a flatside carb. If it's tuned for the common 12:1 stoichiometric mixture used in turbos at low engine speed, it will quickly veer into the lean area under throttle. And if it's tuned for the higher it's going to be overly rich at lower speeds fouling plugs. This of course is obviated by using an EFI system (assuming that it's been hacked to where you can control it and there's an O2 sensor built into the system); but that being the case, it would make the claims of motorcycle.in.th about Honda not being able to put EFI on the CBR 150R a bit suspect.

This isn't an issue with fuel injected engines, since you're able to adjust the mixture on the fly using the ECU to gather information about the mix from a 02 sensor (lambda) and adjust the mixture at the injectors. If you were to use a progressive multibarrel caburetor, this issue is solved to an extent since you can set the secondary barrel(s) to enrich the air mixture when the turbo goes on boost.

Technically, you can use a sidedraft carb for turbocharged operation, but there's some fairly specific things that need to be incorperated. 1) a metering rod and jet that will give an overrich condition under boost. 2) a pressure retard device on the distributor.

However, looking at that last post and the way they have that sonic set up to be a draw through system, there's a problem with that idea even. The reason being that even using that setup described in the last paragraph, whenever you going on partial throttle after being on full boost, you're going to run into a condition where the 'manifold' vaccum is going to increase. This of course will cause less fuel to be supplied to the engine; increasing your chance of detonation.

Is that a KSR with a turbo on it?

I see the fun in it, if I had unlimited funds, yeah I would do something, but why not just strap on a larger engine?

Bore out a wave 125i and slap a turbo on, or a cbr150, but it's going to be cheaper to grab a 400cc bike...

Hey, I just remembered this, here we have a turboed Vespa

but why not just get a 750cc vespa instead?

• 7 months later...
I have seen modifications by a group of Thai youngsters who modified a Honda Wave 125i by creating an air-intake (super)charged by a variable electric ventilator (likely sourced from a computer processor cooler) they seemed to get the engine speed from the ECU and the fan speed seemed to be fine tuned by a low-power dimmer.

:o:D:D:D "Best laugh of the Day"!

it would make the claims of motorcycle.in.th about Honda not being able to put EFI on the CBR 150R a bit suspect.

FYI - The Canadian CBR125 (same as CBR150 but SOHC) comes with EFI. But apparently it is gutless...

The Honda CBR-125R is for a long time now upgraded to use the Honda PGM-FI (fuel injection) system. For the introduction of the new bike from Honda no new CBR-150, we where only shown a Honda CZ-i110 motorcycle and a new Honda Click-i both 110cc and with PGM-FI.

Sorry I not look this treat for a long time, the 110cc motorcycle I previous installed a turbo successful was a Tiger Rocketboy 110cc. Downside to the turbo was the rocketboy was cheaper then the turbo....

I want to thank people for all the helpful messages I received, some where really like copies I found from other websites, claiming they where smart, and some where almost like they where from people who maybe feel lonely and wanted to say something also.

For the people, who suggested buy a bigger engine, what is the fun in that? I surely not wanted to find the cheapest way to get more performance. The turbo project has now already costed us more then it will cost to by a good second hand 400cc motorcycle

Edited by Richard-BKK

Sorry I not look this treat for a long time, the 110cc motorcycle I previous installed a turbo successful was a Tiger Rocketboy 110cc. Downside to the turbo was the rocketboy was cheaper then the turbo....

I want to thank people for all the helpful messages I received, some where really like copies I found from other websites, claiming they where smart, and some where almost like they where from people who maybe feel lonely and wanted to say something also.

For the people, who suggested buy a bigger engine, what is the fun in that? I surely not wanted to find the cheapest way to get more performance. The turbo project has now already costed us more then it will cost to by a good second hand 400cc motorcycle

You definitely hit the nail on the head.....the bold red coloured text is why I've been following this thread. There is no rhyme nor reason to why some people do what they do; take the Japanese and all those cartoons-I don't understand that. But if it makes them happy, more power to them.

The other really practical thing about using a turbo is that your engine number remains matched to your book!

• 1 month later...