Rising Prices

Greenside

The amount of customers stays the same , so the ones giving

the best quality and services will be the victor in the end , its

just very tired some with people whom not have any good ideas themselves ....

Sure ya know what I mean ....

Of course you are right, but things are a little different here. If we were in London, only a succesful business could afford to pay the rent and the bad ones fail. In Thailand, there is a new sucker with his life savings coming over every minute and the rents seem quite inexpensive to them. By the time that they have lost every penny, there is new one just waiting in line to buy a bar for his honey! :o

Understand what ya mean , its the babyboom generation looking

for happiness .

Guess the next generation will bring much less farang in numbers just

doing that , so if lucky there are good times ahead .... :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, brace yourselves...it's gonna get worse as oil prices go up........... and they will. the govmt has been subsidizing fertilizer prices for years to curb inflation, but just recently a bag of fert that used to cost 700baht went up to 900baht and you know what's next.....FOOD.

I think we know who to thank for this....G.W.B.

Replaced my truck battery a couple of weeks ago. Cost 2,500 bt. 3 yrs ago the same battery cost 1,600bt.

The old ones sell at around 5-600Bt now.

5L container of milk gone up from approx 115Bt to approx 150Bt - this seems to be maybe over a year.

I am wondering about the milk prices because in the UK the there was something about price fixing at the supermarkets. Be interesting to see if the suppliers here receive proportionally more.

Got Indian takeaway last night - Naan breads have shrunk considerably :o

Got Indian takeaway last night - Naan breads have shrunk considerably :D

:D

I'm tempted to say that Chiang Mai sausage takeaway has also shrunk considerably, but I won't say it. :D

It's probably due to the cold night air :D

And I am glad you didn't say it or I may have had to send you a warning :o

CB

It appears that the Thai reaction to decreasing sales volumes is raising the prices, in an attempt to keep revenue/profit constant. This is in defiance of the laws of supply and demand that I learnt at university.

I actually believe this is very common for some "industries", especially in the past. In Econ 101 we looked at single family farming as an industry that does not fit normal supply / demand / pricing curves unless government subsidies were available. Farmers would not decrease production when prices fell. Too many fixed expenses and income requirements.

Much of Thailand still operates on agricultural principles. They require Bt xxxx on which to live, so raise prices in trying times.

Edited by klikster

Replaced my truck battery a couple of weeks ago. Cost 2,500 bt. 3 yrs ago the same battery cost 1,600bt.

5L container of milk gone up from approx 115Bt to approx 150Bt - this seems to be maybe over a year.

I am wondering about the milk prices because in the UK the there was something about price fixing at the supermarkets. Be interesting to see if the suppliers here receive proportionally more.

Standard bottle of full-fat cholesterol-chocked milk was 37 baht 50 satang in 7-eleven last winter (anyone wanting 50-satang coins in bulk gimme a shout - I got a box full) now it's 41 baht - rough maffs sez that's about a 8% price rise over the year.

Shophouse rentals within 200 metres of Thapae Gate in 1999 were

- between 4000 and 8000 per month based on how many metres off the main roads it was - that was for single width shops with accomodation above.

- Double and triple width units were asking 15000 - 24000 when I was looking.

- Deposit / Key money / owner's whiskey fund, were normally 2 months plus rent at the beginning of the period it paid for, but I did come across some wanting a year's worth of rent as the key money, and in the case one of gogo bar owner renting a very slightly distant shophouse - rent 3 monthly in advance plus one year rent as key money plus 15 months rent as a furniture security deposit for some ancient tatty cane chairs and tables (and no it wasn't Somchai from John's Place).

In 1999, 95-Octane was B9 per litre and the official songthaew fare was B8 - now it's 30-ish per litre and the official fare is B15 so taxi rates have not kept up with the gas - might explain some of the rip-off pricing touted to tourists and drunk expats.

In 1999, the average pack of 20 Thai-brand cigarettes were B28, now they're B45-B52 depending on brand and soi

Fizzy drink prices from shops and wholesalers may have changed 50 satang - 1 Baht from shops and wholesalers, but they've moved a lot more in bars and restaurants.

In 2002, a large Hawaiian pizza in Mad Dog was B140, now it's B190 (although Coke Light is the same price :D )

In 1999-2002, Thai Domestic's price one-way to Mae Hong Son or Nan was B500, then they increased it to B999 and complained about loss of passengers, then sold the routes to PB Air (or similar) who priced it at B750 and recovered traffic - even CMU Biz Admin students spotted the collusion and stated so in their semester papers that I had to mark. Anyway, what is the fare nowadays? 1200-ish isn't it?

In 2002, an annual visa extension was B500, now it's B1900

In 2003, an annual work permit was B1000, now it's B3000

In 2003, a re-entry permit was B500, now it's B1900

In 2000, Farang entry price to a National Park was B20, now it's B100/200/400 depending on the park

In 2000, Farang entry to Wat Prathet Doi Suthep was free, now it's ......

2% inflation?

Yeah right, and my right foot's a surf board :o ..... hey ..... who's a$$ is that one with the surf up? :D

Gaz

Standard bottle of full-fat cholesterol-chocked milk was 37 baht 50 satang in 7-eleven last winter (anyone wanting 50-satang coins in bulk gimme a shout - I got a box full) now it's 41 baht - rough maffs sez that's about a 8% price rise over the year.

Shophouse rentals within 200 metres of Thapae Gate in 1999 were

- between 4000 and 8000 per month based on how many metres off the main roads it was - that was for single width shops with accomodation above.

- Double and triple width units were asking 15000 - 24000 when I was looking.

- Deposit / Key money / owner's whiskey fund, were normally 2 months plus rent at the beginning of the period it paid for, but I did come across some wanting a year's worth of rent as the key money, and in the case one of gogo bar owner renting a very slightly distant shophouse - rent 3 monthly in advance plus one year rent as key money plus 15 months rent as a furniture security deposit for some ancient tatty cane chairs and tables (and no it wasn't Somchai from John's Place).

In 1999, 95-Octane was B9 per litre and the official songthaew fare was B8 - now it's 30-ish per litre and the official fare is B15 so taxi rates have not kept up with the gas - might explain some of the rip-off pricing touted to tourists and drunk expats.

In 1999, the average pack of 20 Thai-brand cigarettes were B28, now they're B45-B52 depending on brand and soi

Fizzy drink prices from shops and wholesalers may have changed 50 satang - 1 Baht from shops and wholesalers, but they've moved a lot more in bars and restaurants.

In 2002, a large Hawaiian pizza in Mad Dog was B140, now it's B190 (although Coke Light is the same price :D )

In 1999-2002, Thai Domestic's price one-way to Mae Hong Son or Nan was B500, then they increased it to B999 and complained about loss of passengers, then sold the routes to PB Air (or similar) who priced it at B750 and recovered traffic - even CMU Biz Admin students spotted the collusion and stated so in their semester papers that I had to mark. Anyway, what is the fare nowadays? 1200-ish isn't it?

In 2002, an annual visa extension was B500, now it's B1900

In 2003, an annual work permit was B1000, now it's B3000

In 2003, a re-entry permit was B500, now it's B1900

In 2000, Farang entry price to a National Park was B20, now it's B100/200/400 depending on the park

In 2000, Farang entry to Wat Prathet Doi Suthep was free, now it's ......

2% inflation?

Yeah right, and my right foot's a surf board :o ..... hey ..... who's a$$ is that one with the surf up? :D

Gaz

Well updated gaz , its like 300-400% inflation for the farang .

If its 2% in the last 7 years in should be up 14% not to forget .

By the way is hard walking with a foot as big as a surfboard ? :D

Prices are creeping up little by little.

My local restaurant where I'd been eating a breakfast (big) meals of fried rice and chicken are now up to 25 baht per meal from 20 baht. Reason is (apparently) because gas prices have gone up :o

7/11 is still good, as is tesco express.

I go past the tourist traps and laugh at the prices they expect people to pay though! :D

A lot of the basic things we buy at the restaurant have risen in price substantially over the last 6 months, more than a normal inflationary rise. Flour, Cheese, milk, meat, cooking oil etc...some of these are up almost 25% over a year ago. I'm no economist, but I think it has something to do with the increasing use of food crops for biofuel, thus bumping the price up on other food commodities, which then moves on down the line to pretty much all food.

I could be wrong here on the fuel thing, but I have seen a pretty dramatic (unusual) jump in my food supplies bills, and I certainly understand why restaurants around town might be raising, or thinking about raising, prices.

Same thing in the US the rising cost of corn is making its way into the livestock farmers that depend on it for a good portion of their feed. The cost of biofuel ecologically hasn't been put into the equation yet, but its coming.

I'm tempted to say that Chiang Mai sausage takeaway has also shrunk considerably, but I won't say it. :D

Is that smoked-sausage, or only in March/April, I might have been tempted to ask, but won't ?

Bake and Bite putting prices up as well.

Things have been so cheap for so long that there had to be a correction due to the high price of oil.

Kafe still 50 baht a small heineken

last time i went 65 in Mad Dog and UNIrish but I'm sure will rise if not already

Spotlight wants about a 100 baht - baa! I'll pay 100 baht for the basket of ping pong balls but not a small beer

The higher cost of fuel is one part of the picture, farmers growing crops for ethanol instead of putting the crop into the food chain is another part (sweetcorn is a prime example of this). Read somewhere last week that UK food prices are forecast to increase by 30% in 2008. As for the cost of living: inflation for a Thai is one thing but inflation for a farang is something very different and will vary based on lifestyle and tastes.

The cover story in this month's Economist is 'Is this the end of cheap food?' and the increase of farmers switching to ethanol is one of the factors mentioned.

I've also noticed remarkable hikes in prices everywhere lately. The burger at the irish went up from 80 to 110 baht - almost 40%!

And a lot of there regulars are drinking elsewhere, noticed a lot more Westerners frequenting the Thai places that do the buy two get one free offers.

I've also noticed remarkable hikes in prices everywhere lately. The burger at the irish went up from 80 to 110 baht - almost 40%!

And a lot of there regulars are drinking elsewhere, noticed a lot more Westerners frequenting the Thai places that do the buy two get one free offers.

seems to me their drinks haven't gone up much at the irish, though. cocktails and house wine are still a deal at 80 baht. not sure about the beer. and their food portions may have gotten bigger, so i don't really know. one problem must be all the increased competition - ten years ago there were few places like the irish in town. now there are tons. and there aren't that many more tourists. the place used to be full up every day and night.

off the topic, i miss the days when you could just drop in somewhere and the chances were you'd see lots of people you knew. with all the new venues chiang mai is getting like a big city in that you actually have to make plans with people.

Is that smoked-sausage, or only in March/April, I might have been tempted to ask, but won't ?

Sorry, but I can't answer, because Crowboy would issue me a warning! :D

I like yoghurt, the eating kind, and usually buy the duchie brand at the big c in lamphun. A four pack sold for 38 baht, but in one day the price went up to 50 baht. I stopped buying it, and apparently so did a lot of other people, and apparently no one bothered telling the buyers, because their cooler filled up very quickly with just about no more room for anything else. There was dutchie yoghurt everywhere. They then lowered the price to 45 baht, which made a very small dent. Finally the lowered the price to 39 baht and I, along with others, started buying it again, so they again have some more room for the milk and butter. I suspect the price will go up again, but not all at one time.

.....and now the buffet at the Grandview, one of the best value lunchtime treats has hiked its prices too. From January 20th, they'll be adding 10% service and 7% Tax to the bill which represents about 15%, assuming they don't expect you to pay tax on the service charge. Service on a buffet? :o

Apparantly you can avoid the increase (for now, at least) by buying ten vouchers at once for 1200 bht but I suspect that's just a bit of intelligent marketing to ease us through the transition and it'll disappear before too long.