Kanchanaburi Floating Houses

P76

My wife and I would like to stay a few nights in a floating house. Can anyone recomend any?

We were there last year but had to stay in a crappy hotel due to our travelling companions.

We saw heaps of large silver fish in the river. Can you eat those? I am a mad fisherman.

My wife and I would like to stay a few nights in a floating house. Can anyone recomend any?

We were there last year but had to stay in a crappy hotel due to our travelling companions.

We saw heaps of large silver fish in the river. Can you eat those? I am a mad fisherman.

Google "Kanchanaburi" lots of good places, but as you mentioned crappy places as well, depending on your budget.

BTW where did you stay? :o

Eating fish :D I would not recommend this. I was an angler and always put them back in the river. :D

Kan Win :D

A Thai friend took me and a Swedish couple to this floting house many years ago. Sorry forgot the name of the place. But no need to worry, there are plenty of them.

Remembering we had a good time, enjoyed their meals- everything was so fresh, the fish, the prawns and the vegi. You ordered from the front desk and delivered to you.

The hi-light was on the bamboo rafting, the guide took us a mile down the stream, cauth some fishes. Enjoyed the quiet serenity of the place, compounded with a full moon nights.

The place even had a small discotique dance hall. Now might be turned into karaoke lounge.

The week we staying, there were more Thais than Westerners. A dozen of students from nearby college, and a family who brought their own a cook and a nanny to look after their 2 small children. This family stayed next door to us. When we gave comprement of the aroma of the food that permeated from the cook preparing, they did like any typical Thai generousity, they sent her with a tray full with the dishes for us to try.

Sidenote ! It was quite a bit expensive; the hotel, the meals, the rafting etc.

Kanwin,

I am pretty sure it was "Baan Suan Fon"

It was too far out of town, without a car I would have starved to death.

They tried to charge me for the room next door!!! " yes sir, you sleep 2 room last night" <deleted>.

They knocked on my door at 7.00am to get the money for the cocktails I had the previous night.

I didn't have any cocktails!!! again...<deleted>.

It's a few years (about 16) since I went on a raft trip overnight there. The toilet was just a hole in the boat - therefore wouldn't advise the fish :o

The 'disco' was on every raft so all rafts played different music all night and it was almost impossible to sleep :D

I'd recommend seeing the river in the day then going to Erawan Falls nearby to stay the night in the nature reserve

It's a few years (about 16) since I went on a raft trip overnight there. The toilet was just a hole in the boat - therefore wouldn't advise the fish :o

The 'disco' was on every raft so all rafts played different music all night and it was almost impossible to sleep :D

I'd recommend seeing the river in the day then going to Erawan Falls nearby to stay the night in the nature reserve

I'm totally agree with ya seonai. Last updated, one of girl friends went there and showed me some pic and it's still crazy, the disco duck (raft). Gosh I could see the toilet and that was just amazing they let it all out in the river thru that hole. Yikes.

If worst comes to worst and you don't manage to get a floating house and have to look for a room on solid ground, whatever you do, DO NOT stay at the Jolly Frog.

Unless you like being kept awake all night from loud partying by groups of tourists from ...uh, well, I better not mention their nationality (forum rules, ya know), but you can probably guess as they have a reputation for being very arrogant, inconsiderate and downright obnoxious - in fact many places in Thailand will refuse them entry.

Trust me, I stayed there and learned the hard way.

Wow ! After reading the past few posts, seems things had changed enormously. :o

When I was staying in this floating house in the early '90, it was built as a single ( each had 2 bedroom ) individule site, there are about 8 of them on the same row. The first house served as hotel lobby, a discotique and restaurant.

The place was so quiet, serene and charmed with the full moon light ( the week we were there). :D:D

Well this place must be found only on our memory. :D

What is a duck-disco raft anyway ? Sounds new to me.

'Disco Duck' - a large floating disco that blares out music from 7 am to 2am each day, and not the sort of music that inspires you to the 'if you can't beat them join them' attitude. So the ear plugs came in useful.

'Disco Duck' - a large floating disco that blares out music from 7 am to 2am each day, and not the sort of music that inspires you to the 'if you can't beat them join them' attitude. So the ear plugs came in useful.

I don't understand how the floating hotel let this going on all the hours ? :o

They don't seemed to be bothered. There are many many many of those disco ducks floating and waiting to flow on away.

I, for one, will certainly steer clear of these type of avenue. Noise pollution is one of my biggest threats

I don't get it. If people like big bang loud music, why not stay around Nana, Sukhunvit et... where there are same type of people who share the same enthusiasm.

No need to come out here in floating raft in the middle of lush green countryside.

If worst comes to worst and you don't manage to get a floating house and have to look for a room on solid ground, whatever you do, DO NOT stay at the Jolly Frog.

Unless you like being kept awake all night from loud partying by groups of tourists from ...uh, well, I better not mention their nationality (forum rules, ya know), but you can probably guess as they have a reputation for being very arrogant, inconsiderate and downright obnoxious - in fact many places in Thailand will refuse them entry.

I was recommended the Jolly Frog buy a workman. So i took my mum and dad there. What a disaster, I don't think they will ever forgive me. I certainly will never forgive the guy who gave me the recommendation. Great for backpackers but not quite right for mummy and daddy!

If anyone knows a nice place there, dog friendly as take my Pug with me & have car.

I ring few hotels, everyone said no & looking at there pictures, some of the place with concrete floor look very basic!

Anyway I went to rabbit resort in pattaya, but as I said if anyone know a nice place, pass it on!

get up to lake Sri Nakarin about 100 km north of Kanchanaburi...they have house boats and you can fish for the giant snake head!!!!!

Wilko,

Sounds like a good idea. Looking at my map, I would take route 3199, I guess I would keep going past the Erawan turn off and hopefully find some houseboats. Is that right? Do you have any info?

Thanks.

Ifyou are going past Kanchanburi and up towards Erawan etc, then check out the places on the left side, you will see signs for accommodation places and many have floating river cabins and we stayed at one, cannot remember the name but very nice. Little more expensive than most, but nice.

gallery_25543_693_22189.jpg

This was taken on Srinakarin Dam, where I occasionally do some fishing (exclusively spinning with gold / silver coloured spoons).

I usually stay somewhere fairly basic, like this place, although this was probably the most basic of all the places I stayed at, but the people were very friendly and first thing in morning I had a guide take me to various 'spots' on a small boat, I had a great time.

There are quite a few options out there.

Send me a message if you need a number I know a couple of places.

Edited by quiksilva

Still those people from the small middle east country ?

So they didn't improve their behaviour ?

So they didn't improve their behaviour ?

They moved about 1-1/2 years ago to their own resort further up the road towards the Famous Bridge, BTW.

Please stop knocking The Jolly Frog, personal friends of mine. As they say, it is for folks on a tight budget. Great food there as well very reasonably priced.

Thank you :o

Yours truly,

Wilko,

Sounds like a good idea. Looking at my map, I would take route 3199, I guess I would keep going past the Erawan turn off and hopefully find some houseboats. Is that right? Do you have any info?

Thanks.

Info, click here

Some very big fish in this "Srinakarin Reservoir" :D by the way

Yours truly, :o

That country, illegitimate by birth...

They moved about 1-1/2 years ago to their own resort further up the road towards the Famous Bridge, BTW.

Really? Cheaper there, eh? :o

Please stop knocking The Jolly Frog

Nope. The management's unwillingness or inability to deal with the problem has earned them permanent demerit points in my book.

personal friends of mine

Well then, ask them why they allowed this behavior, despite numerous complaints.

it is for folks on a tight budget

It is not necessarily good for backpackers. When I stayed there my neighbors were backpackers and they were as peeved as me.

Great food there as well very reasonably priced.

Didn't stop those, er, people, from cooking in their rooms. The restaurant isn't ------

• 2 years later...
gallery_25543_693_22189.jpg

This was taken on Srinakarin Dam, where I occasionally do some fishing (exclusively spinning with gold / silver coloured spoons).

I usually stay somewhere fairly basic, like this place, although this was probably the most basic of all the places I stayed at, but the people were very friendly and first thing in morning I had a guide take me to various 'spots' on a small boat, I had a great time.

There are quite a few options out there.

Send me a message if you need a number I know a couple of places.

Please send me ASAP as i want to go this week end