Stop Smoking And Drinking And Eating Or Die!

moldy

:o UK related. But coming to a society near you soon!?!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1774

to quote "smokers, drinkers, and obese beware, keep fit or risk losing losing NHS care"

Surely, a tax refund is due and get rid of duty while we're about then?

Fairs fair, let's chuck car drivers in the pack too, they cause carnage through horrific accidents and air pollution. Bungee jumpers beware, and forget about the Sunday football, you bought the broken leg on yourself.

It's pathetic, any old way to cheat people out of their dues.

:o UK related. But coming to a society near you soon!?!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1774

to quote "smokers, drinkers, and obese beware, keep fit or risk losing losing NHS care"

Surely, a tax refund is due and get rid of duty while we're about then?

Fairs fair, let's chuck car drivers in the pack too, they cause carnage through horrific accidents and air pollution. Bungee jumpers beware, and forget about the Sunday football, you bought the broken leg on yourself.

It's pathetic, any old way to cheat people out of their dues.

Only to be expected with "Taxman" Brown at the helm. If this is the case, then they will have to cut the taxes on alcohol and tobacco then, as that has been the previous excuse for the continual rise in taxes on those products. As for obesity, part of the problem has been the lack of funding for grass roots sport in the UK, and the scandalous selling off of palying fields etc for housing etc, etc. Rant over.

But just think about it. The healthy people that never get sick will not have to queue for hours in the hospitals anymore. Why are the waiting rooms always full of ill people?

Loads of malingerers.

But just think about it. The healthy people that never get sick will not have to queue for hours in the hospitals anymore. Why are the waiting rooms always full of ill people?

Loads of malingerers.

Not just malingerers, they come from all parts of europe now!

Anyway, healthy people really make me sick. What bores.

The most interesting people I meet have some vice or another.

Also isn't obesity a recognised medical condition? Does a light-moderate smoker or drinker have many more health problems.

I 've smoked about 10 a day for 30 years and can outsprint people half my age, my old man and uncle prob. notch up a a pack or 3 between them- one's 80 the other 75. They knock back a fair bit og grog too. Paid a whacking wedge of tax between them.

Is this about money or performance ? Sorry don't think I can cure you efficiently- f off and die.

nidge - healthy people that never get sick- err can you explain that one to me?. Sick people are by definition not healthy :o

nidge - healthy people that never get sick- err can you explain that one to me?. Sick people are by definition not healthy :o

I mean healthy people won't be waiting in a queue for hours, because they are not sick and so won't even be there. :D sick people go to hospitals !!!

I mean healthy people won't be waiting in a queue for hours, because they are not sick and so won't even be there. :D sick people go to hospitals !!!

I think you missed the point, (and humour), by about 15 light years. Healthy people will not be there for sure, but if they ever needed to then they would not have to wait behind loads of sick or injured people. Surely perfectly healthy people have the right to preferential medical treatment?

nidge - healthy people that never get sick- err can you explain that one to me?. Sick people are by definition not healthy :D

I think you missed the point, (and humour), by about 15 light years. Healthy people will not be there for sure, but if they ever needed to then they would not have to wait behind loads of sick or injured people. Surely perfectly healthy people have the right to preferential medical treatment?

This a wind up isn't it? I thought you were being ironic. :o

But if not, justify this statement. But first surely you are confusing 'healthy people' with 'people who look after themselves'.? I think you need to clarify this. Most viruses and bacteria are equal opportunity invaders, ie, healthy people get sick too. Also the NHS is paid for by tax, so people would be denied a service that they have paid for.

But if not, justify this statement. But first surely you are confusing 'healthy people' with 'people who look after themselves'.? I think you need to clarify this. Most viruses and bacteria are equal opportunity invaders, ie, healthy people get sick too. Also the NHS is paid for by tax, so people would be denied a service that they have paid for.

Healthy people are less likely to become ill. While "most viruses and bacteria are equal opportunity invaders" they are less likely to cause a serious medical problem for the healthy. For example, take a chronic alcoholic: Cirrhosis leads to diseases of the digestive tract and a dozen other serious illnesses. An alcoholic is also more likely to have a suppressed immune system thereby placing the subject at higher risk.

As for the tax base, the answer is a resounding no. The chronically ill are more likely to be absent from the workforce and therefore less likely to contribute to general tax revenues. In fact they are more likely to be receipients of social assistance. (This statement does not include the elderly, nor is it a judgement about those that are ill through no fault of their own.) Nothing new, or outstanding in the aforementioned.

Now, is there anything specific to Thailand and the folks living here that you wish to discuss?

Edited by geriatrickid

Healthy people are less likely to become ill. While "most viruses and bacteria are equal opportunity invaders" they are less likely to cause a serious medical problem for the healthy. For example, take a chronic alcoholic: Cirrhosis leads to diseases of the digestive tract and a dozen other serious illnesses. An alcoholic is also more likely to have a suppressed immune system thereby placing the subject at higher risk.

As for the tax base, the answer is a resounding no. The chronically ill are more likely to be absent from the workforce and therefore less likely to contribute to general tax revenues. In fact they are more likely to be receipients of social assistance. (This statement does not include the elderly, nor is it a judgement about those that are ill through no fault of their own.) Nothing new, or outstanding in the aforementioned.

Now, is there anything specific to Thailand and the folks living here that you wish to discuss?

Well plenty to discuss regarding your argument, but yes this is superceded by the fact that I accidentally broke posting guidlines in that the topic must be related to Thailand as you have pointed out. I'll be more careful next time and apologise to posters and moderators alike. No intention to cause a problem.

There's no need generally to stick strictly with Thailand in the topical forums- after all, if you're personally suffering from some disease, it's not necessarily a Thai-related phenomenon, but it is allowed here in discussion. I think if you're arguing about societal policies at large, there are Thai-related implications- after all, we've seen how the medical system works here and contrast and compare is only natural. But if this developed into a wide-ranging political thread about another country (solely) that might be a different matter. I'd suggest, perhaps, some speculation about what might make Thailand different in the way it handles medical care, and what Britain and Thailand could learn from each other?

"S"

I always wondered why here in Thailand they can be bothered to have these "fancy" pics on a pack of ciggys, while the same time thousand of vehicles and power plants belching out highly carcinogenic exhaust fumes, factories spewing tonnes of toxic waste into waterways, employees on building sites with flip-flops, unsecured gas tanks exploding... endless story... why

the heck does anybody care anyway?

I see a slight parallel to our home countries... one should be a responsible citizen, take care, be nice, live after the rules, make no mess, spend money on food but don't get fat, while the same time nobody stops the production, advertising, promotion and distribution of junk food, they let you buy alcohol but don't drink it, buy cigars and smokes but don't smoke em'...

It is getting really funny - am i in the wrong show here?

ladies and gentlemen welcome to the greatest show on earth!

it's an endless, daily newly rewritten Comedy:

"Politicians and Bureaucrats trying to rule Life!"

Edited by Samuian

I always wondered why here in Thailand they can be bothered to have these "fancy" pics on a pack of ciggys, while the same time thousand of vehicles and power plants belching out highly carcinogenic exhaust fumes, factories spewing tonnes of toxic waste into waterways, employees on building sites with flip-flops, unsecured gas tanks exploding... endless story... why

the heck does anybody care anyway?

I see a slight parallel to our home countries... one should be a responsible citizen, take care, be nice, live after the rules, make no mess, spend money on food but don't get fat, while the same time nobody stops the production, advertising, promotion and distribution of junk food, they let you buy alcohol but don't drink it, buy cigars and smokes but don't smoke em'...

It is getting really funny - am i in the wrong show here?

ladies and gentlemen welcome to the greatest show on earth!

it's an endless, daily newly rewritten Comedy:

"Politicians and Bureaucrats trying to rule Life!"

Some very astute points expressed with eloquence.

All these knee jerk reactions ignore the main fact: the planet is being turned in to a toxic waste dump. The rather high minded individuals who beat down on smokers, drinkers, and those that like a good blow out, no doubt rev up their car engines on a daily if not hourly basis. Quite apart from the carnage brought about by road accidents, traffic fumes cause all sorts of respiratory problems : to the nose, throat, sinuses, and chest, and possibly the brain too. Shouldn't car drivers around the world be taken out the health system?

And is not the toxic smog that has descended on planet earth not equalled by the equally dangerous psychic climate ? - ref increasing noise, stress, and effects of rampant consumerism and insane demands of 'progress'- the vicissitude of life alone is probably why many overdo the fags and grog.

My views only and would be interesting to hear counter arguments discussed in a sensible manner.