No End In Sight As South Thai Rebellion Enters Fifth Year

Jai Dee

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is disturbing and very sad news. The moving from targeting gov't officials or employees to a mother taking her child to work. As I stated earlier, if I lived there I don't think I'd send my kids to school.

and yet another one not previously reported.... an older man shot 4 times while birdwatching.... :o

with additional info on the teacher (a principal in this report) pictured above... and the young mother who was shot in the head....

Three Killed In Thailand's Restive South

NARATHIWAT, Thailand (AFP)--Three Buddhists were killed in drive-by shootings across Thailand's Muslim-majority south, where a separatist insurgency is raging, police said Wednesday.

A 53-year-old government worker died after being shot four times in Narathiwat province as he gathered Tuesday evening with friends for birdwatching, a popular activity in the region, police said.

Early Wednesday, a 27-year-old woman was shot in the head in Narathiwat after dropping her son off at school. Her attackers left a note saying Thais would be killed in retaliation for the deaths of Muslims, police said.

In nearby Yala province, a 54-year-old elementary school principal was shot dead while on his way home after classes, police added.

Schools and teachers are frequent targets of attack, because militants see the education system as an effort by Bangkok to impose Buddhist Thai culture on a region that is mainly Muslim and ethnic Malay.

More than 3,300 people have been killed since separatist unrest broke out in January 2004 in the south, which was an autonomous Malay Muslim sultanate until Thailand annexed it in 1902, provoking decades of tension.

Despite attempts by various governments to curb the bloodshed in the Muslim- majority region, the murky nature of the insurgency has prevented much progress, with no groups claiming responsibility or making any demands.

This is disturbing and very sad news. The moving from targeting gov't officials or employees to a mother taking her child to work. As I stated earlier, if I lived there I don't think I'd send my kids to school.

If you lived there, you very well may not have a school to send them to.... :o

Some 50 schools in Yala close after killing of teacher

Fifty-five schools in Raman district of Yala closed on Thursday after a school director in the district was killed by insurgents on Wednesday. The incident caused panic among teachers in the three southernmost provinces. The 54-year-old director of Baan Mahae school, Weera Muanjan, was shot dead when he was riding a motorcycle back home. About 200 teachers joined a meeting on Thursday to discuss security measures that authorities should step up in the region. Schools in the district were scheduled to

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128687

Mooslum terrorists must feel pretty good knowing they can slip over the border into a country where they can plan and train with impunity.

And how wonderful they must feel killing unarmed bus drivers, teachers, women and village leaders. What hero's they must be...Not!

It's about time the government got it together and sorted this out, once and for all.

The mayhem continues unabated despite Samak's claims of "improvement." Today's offering...

Grisly killing in day of bloodshed

A local man was beheaded by insurgents in Yala yesterday, police said. Nails had been hammered through his hands. The body of Kan Sangtong, 55, whose clothes were also burned, was found on a local road in Bannang Sata district. His head was placed on a bridge about 60 metres away from his body. His son Yutana, 29, who was seriously injured, told police he and his father were attacked by about 10 insurgents as they came from a forest. Police believed the rebels staged the attack in revenge for the recent killing of six members of the Runda Kumpulan Kecil (RKK) guerrilla group. In the same district, a man identified as Abduloh Seng, 41, was shot dead in his pick-up truck. Police are investigating his death. A rebel suspect was injured yesterday during a gunfight with security officers in Raman district as he tried to escape a raid on a house suspected of being a hide-out for militants.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/050708_News/05Jul2008_news10.php

Excuse me, the above post was yesterday's offering... This morning's offering, also in Yala, is....

3 civilians killed, 5 others injured in Yala teashop shooting

Yala - Two gunmen opened fire at a teashop here, killing three civilians and injuring five others Saturday morning, police said.

The shooting occurred at 7:15 am in Bango Puloh village in Tambon Noenngam of Yala's Raman district.

Witnesses told police that two men on the back of a pick-up truck opened fire at the shop with assault rifles and fled the scene immediately. Police blamed Muslim insurgents for the attack.

- The Nation

In the interests of balance (and in no way meant to gloss over the awful tragedy in the South, nor excuse the government's somewhat lacklustre policy there), according to Thursday's Bangkok Post attacks are down 50% in the first six months of the year compared to the same period last year, and deaths down by around 25%. 301 deaths is of course still 301 too many, but contrary to some of the posts here those numbers would seem to indicate an "improvement". It's still not enough though and I think the figures for June/July are/will be pretty grim.

Deep South Watch collates instances of violence in the South and publishes its data here (can't find an English version).

Shootings kill seven in restive Thai south

Seven people have been killed in four separate shooting incidents in Thailand's troubled southern states, police said Saturday.

In a drive-by shooting early Saturday, witnesses said at least five militants in a pick-up truck opened fire on a tea shop in Yala province's Raman district, killing four villagers and wounding four others.

Nearby, in the Bannang Sata district of Yala, a 56-year-old Thai Buddhist man was shot dead and beheaded before his body was set on fire Friday, while his 28-year-old son was seriously wounded.

A 41-year-old Thai Muslim man was shot dead in his pick-up truck in a drive-by shooting in the same area shortly afterwards.

In the neighbouring province of Pattani, a 56-year-old retired teacher was shot dead Friday evening in the Meung district after leaving a mosque.

More than 3,300 people have been killed since separatist unrest broke out in January 2004 in the south.

- AFP / 05-07-08

In the interests of balance (and in no way meant to gloss over the awful tragedy in the South, nor excuse the government's somewhat lacklustre policy there), according to Thursday's Bangkok Post attacks are down 50% in the first six months of the year compared to the same period last year, and deaths down by around 25%. 301 deaths is of course still 301 too many, but contrary to some of the posts here those numbers would seem to indicate an "improvement". It's still not enough though and I think the figures for June/July are/will be pretty grim.

Deep South Watch collates instances of violence in the South and publishes its data here (can't find an English version).

You're right.There has been some relatively encouraging lessening of violence though the reasons are obscure, certainly not imaginative government policy.However as you say it's far too early to tell whether there has been any kind of turnaround.To be quite honest with one or two honourable exceptions there's not much enlightenment to be gained on this forum on the Southern conflict.The usual suspects are more interested in criticising Samak/Chalerm etc than understanding the problem's roots.Interesting that the PAD is so quiet on the Southern conflict.I'm sure that has nothing to do with the murderous General Pallop Pinmanee (responsible for the notorious Krue Sae Mosque massacre) being Chamlong's close side kick and PAD supporter.

As well as the usual suspect who attempts to chastise others who have been posting on the Southern issues for over four years and who focused on the mayhem and not which particular government was in charge at the time over that timespan. But hey, if they can try to turn the focus on posters rather than the issues in an effort to try to score some cheap points, why not? That's been the M.O. from the git go, irregardless of the issue discussed.

In regards to the alleged "improvement", it was short-lived and certainly not due to any real substantial efforts of the government and could be nothing more than a lull while the various groups reloaded. Over the past five years, there have multiple episodes of up and down activity levels... rarely have those brief periods ever been characterized as "improved" as proclaimed by this government.

eg.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch said last week that a judicial inquiry into the slaying and alleged torture by authorities of the imam is being blocked by army stonewalling despite 'strong' evidence of brutality.

The army claims that sweep operations undertaken over the past year have reduced insurgent attacks by half but violence has flared up again in recent weeks, partly, said Human Rights Watch, in response to brutalities by the Thai security forces.

- DPA (today)

Edited by sriracha john

That's been the M.O. from the git go, irregardless of the issue discussed.

But I actually agree that all governments performance in the South has been abysmal.

I'm afraid I don't understand the slang quoted above.Is it some kind of Appalachian dialect or perhaps some below the quarter deck argot?

I am afraid I would be a little more impressed with your moral integrity on the Southern issue if you had condemned the murderer Pallop (now a key PAD figure).However just silence on that score.

M.O. is hardly some Appalachian dialect, it's Latin and it stands for Modus Operendi, I don't know if I spelled it correctly. It sort of means method of operating.

It would be nice if there were some good news in the South, but as mentioned, there is a lot of ups and downs and lulls in violence. I don't know if this is part of the strategy of the insurgents or not, but if so it works wonderfully in Thailand. There is so little stick-to-itiveness in this country. Even at shopping centers, first they are checking cars (trunk/boot), bags when you go in etc., then a week later, they just can't be bothered. Similarly, the police can't be bothered to enforce the law, except around pay day. I have no reason to believe the military would be any different.

So, the militants can take a short holiday and then their killing sprees get a whole lot easier.

As for gov'ts, I don't think there is much any gov't could do--these situations are very, very difficult to deal with and tend to have a life-span of their own. That said, it's always woth a try and we haven't seen much trying in the past several years.

Saturday July 05 2008 - BANGKOK POST -

SOUTHERN UNREST

Grisly killing in day of bloodshed

MALUDING DEETO & MUHAMMAD AYUB PATHAN

YALA : A local man was beheaded by insurgents yesterday, police said. Nails had been hammered through his hands. The body of Kan Sangtong, 55, whose clothes were also burned, was found on a local road in Bannang Sata district. His head was placed on a bridge about 60 metres away from his body.

His son Yutana, 29, who was seriously injured, told police he and his father were attacked by about 10 insurgents as they came from a forest.

Police believed the rebels staged the attack in revenge for the recent killing of six members of the Runda Kumpulan Kecil (RKK) guerrilla group.

In the same district, a man identified as Abduloh Seng, 41, was shot dead in his pick-up truck. Police are investigating his death.

A rebel suspect was injured yesterday during a gunfight with security officers in Raman district as he tried to escape a raid on a house suspected of being a hide-out for militants.

Security officers said Iibduereh Dingma, 28, was riding a motorcycle away from the house when he was called on to stop, but opened fired on the officers. He then left the motorcycle and ran into the backyard of the Ban Ba-ngoy school. Security officers then shot injured and injured the man.

Police suspect Mr Iibduereh, who was treated at the Yala Centre hospital, of involvement in separatist violence in Raman district.

They were still conducting operations in the area of tambon Ba-ngoy late yesterday as they believe other suspected insurgents were hiding there.

Directors from 55 schools in Raman district yesterday met to review safety measures for teachers after a director of the Ban Mahae school was killed on Wednesday, which led to a two-day closure of all schools in the district.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wonder how much the average Bangkokian cares - or is honestly concerned in anyway - about the terror - the savage and indiscriminate killing and gross abuse - that now exists in the south?

Not much I suspect - judging from my opinion of the self-possessed - self absorbed - superficial and shallow individuals I witnessed this afternoon - totally pre-occupied with material possessions in Central Chitlom.

Edited by bulmercke

As well as the usual suspect who attempts to chastise others who have been posting on the Southern issues for over four years and who focused on the mayhem and not which particular government was in charge at the time over that timespan. But hey, if they can try to turn the focus on posters rather than the issues in an effort to try to score some cheap points, why not? That's been the M.O. from the git go, irregardless of the issue discussed.
I'm afraid I don't understand the slang quoted above.Is it some kind of Appalachian dialect or perhaps some below the quarter deck argot?
M.O. is hardly some Appalachian dialect, it's Latin and it stands for Modus Operendi, I don't know if I spelled it correctly. It sort of means method of operating.

It's ok, Scott. For YH, it's never been about the actual issue being discussed really. It's all been about attempting to insult posters and attacking others with slurs, slights, and inflammatory posts as a simple review of his posting history indicates.

Edited by sriracha john

Returning on-topic with additional information on the latest killings as well as more refutation of the "improved" status...

Insurgents shoot up cafe in Thailand's south and kill at least three

BANGKOK, Thailand - Suspected insurgents in Thailand's restive south have shot up a bustling cafe, killing three customers and injuring four others. *note: AFP reported four killed*

Police Major Saenchai Kesarin said the insurgents drove up in a pickup truck and two of them started shooting as customers ate their breakfast. The gunmen then drove off.

The cafe was frequented by police and soldiers.

Saenchai said the shooting occurred in Yala province's Raman district, about 775 kilometres south of the capital, Bangkok. Three people died at the scene and the four injured people were taken to a local hospital.

More than 3,000 people have been killed in the predominantly Muslim southern provinces since early 2004, when a separatist movement flared after a lull of more than two decades.

The government has made little progress in curbing the violence despite the presence in the south of nearly 40,000 police and soldiers. Drive-by shootings and bombings occur almost daily.

More than 90 per cent of Thailand's 65 million people are Buddhists, and many of the country's Muslims have long complained that they're treated as second-class citizens.

- Associated Press / 05-07-08

I think it was the "git go" he was querying. I was intrigued by that, too.

It's ok, Scott. For YH, it's never been about the actual issue being discussed really. It's all been about attempting to insult posters and attacking others with slurs, slights, and inflammatory posts as a simple review of his posting history indicates.

Don't dodge the issue by your usual device of trying to personalise tthe discussion.As I had anticipated there is nothing from you but silence on the subject pf PAD supporter and Chamlomg crony General Pallop, the person responsible for the most notorious Southern massacre.

I think it was the "git go" he was querying. I was intrigued by that, too.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Entry:git–go

A variant of get-go

----------------------------------------------

Entry:get–go

The very beginning

Don't dodge the issue by your usual device of trying to personalise tthe discussion.As I had anticipated there is nothing from you but silence on the subject pf PAD supporter and Chamlomg crony General Pallop, the person responsible for the most notorious Southern massacre.

As for personalizing threads and posts... look in the mirror and review your posting history. Most of them over-personalize the topic at hand and are more slurs, slights, and inflammatory comments aimed at a whole slew of thaivisa members.

The person most responsible for any massacre was the Prime Minister... but there's plenty of other threads for which that is the specific topic. Bump one of them if you wish to update the discussion on that aspect.

As for personalizing threads and posts... look in the mirror and review your posting history. Most of them over-personalize the topic at hand and are more slurs, slights, and inflammatory comments aimed at a whole slew of thaivisa members.

The person most responsible for any massacre was the Prime Minister... but there's plenty of other threads for which that is the specific topic. Bump one of them if you wish to update the discussion on that aspect.

Again blaming the messenger bringing unwelcome news.Leave me out of it for a moment.Your silence on the role of General Pallop -PAD supporter and Chamlong crony in the massacre is deafening.The paradox is that if you conceded there might be a problem here your moral integrity would be enhanced.But no it's just back to vilifying me personally, changing the subject, looking to sideline into another thread etc etc etc.

New info on the motivation for the last killings and news of a new shooting...

Three killedin attack on tea shop in deep South

Gunmen open fire with assault rifles

3 villagers were killed and 5 injured when men with assault rifles attacked a tea shop in Yala yesterday, police said. The gunmen arrived at the shop in a pick-up truck. Without warning, they opened fire on the group with M-16 and AK-47 assault rifles. Three men, identified as Ali Mahama, 24, Sulkifli Siyadi, 32, and Dao Showuma, 52, died on the spot, while the five injured were rushed to hospital. Police believe the attackers wanted to frighten villagers because they believe locals gave government officials information about a hideout which recently led to a raid by security officers on a home in the neighbourhood and the arrest of a suspected insurgent. "They shot villagers to intimidate and force others not to cooperate with the government," said Yala police chief Pumpet Pipatpetpum.

In the neighbouring province of Narathiwat, 26-year-old Border Patrol Police volunteer Somjet Sappaphan was shot in the leg as he rode his motorcycle home in Muang district. He was rushed to hospital. Witnesses said suspected insurgents were preparing to shoot the man dead but fled the scene when they saw a motorist drive past.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/060708_News/06Jul2008_news08.php

:D

More useless diatribe. :o

To repeat myself yet again, I support the proper investigation and prosecution, if deemed appropriate, of anyone involved in any atrocity, utilizing a top-down approach beginning with the head of the government at the time.

Useless diatribe perhaps but the fact remains you cannot bring yourself to condemn the murderous Pallop because he is aligned with PAD.Of course Thaksin had overall responsibility as did Nixon at the time of the My Lai massacre, but the responsible officers in the field -in the latter case- were charged with the crime.Your weasle words are a disgrace.

To repeat myself yet again, I support the proper investigation and prosecution, if deemed appropriate, of anyone involved in any atrocity, utilizing a top-down approach beginning with the head of the government at the time.

Useless diatribe perhaps but the fact remains you cannot bring yourself to condemn the murderous Pallop because he is aligned with PAD.Of course Thaksin had overall responsibility as did Nixon at the time of the My Lai massacre, but the responsible officers in the field -in the latter case- were charged with the crime.Your weasle words are a disgrace.

and your flaming words are boring and tiresome.

Nixon was wrong, Thaksin was wrong...and to reiterate yet again, anyone connected to any atrocity was wrong.

New info on the motivation for the last killings and news of a new shooting...

Three killedin attack on tea shop in deep South

Gunmen open fire with assault rifles

3 villagers were killed and 5 injured when men with assault rifles attacked a tea shop in Yala yesterday, police said. The gunmen arrived at the shop in a pick-up truck. Without warning, they opened fire on the group with M-16 and AK-47 assault rifles. Three men, identified as Ali Mahama, 24, Sulkifli Siyadi, 32, and Dao Showuma, 52, died on the spot, while the five injured were rushed to hospital. Police believe the attackers wanted to frighten villagers because they believe locals gave government officials information about a hideout which recently led to a raid by security officers on a home in the neighbourhood and the arrest of a suspected insurgent. "They shot villagers to intimidate and force others not to cooperate with the government," said Yala police chief Pumpet Pipatpetpum.

2008_news08.php

Am I right in thinking these tea shop killings like the one above almost always conducted by men with very serious weaponry arriving and departing in a pick-up are the security forces carrying out extra-judicial tit-for-tat killings?

Edited by Briggsy

and your flaming words are boring and tiresome.

Nixon was wrong, Thaksin was wrong...and to reiterate yet again, anyone connected to any atrocity was wrong.

I am equally sure it was boring and tiresome for Nazi criminals at Nuremberg to be told their defence that they were only following orders wouldn't hold water.You continue to avoid a specific condemnation of General Pallop, PAD supporter and close associate of Chamlong. in respect of the Krue Sae massacre.You can't dodge the involvement of this bloodstained criminal (most of the dead had been bound and shot in the head) in the PAD leadership by accusing me of flaming etc.Shame on you.