Another Question

I just returned from Vietnam and found it to be a great place in my eye's, but that is my eye's...Anyone know how hard it is to get a visa and stay there???Anyone with experience or know of a foreigner website about Vietnam?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Its easy to stay in Vietnam long term all you need is job with legitimate firm. In Vietnam foreigners are not locked out of as many jobs as you would be in Thailand. Based upon that and assuming there maybe some sort of qualification that would be have to be certified at your government's office such as the department of state plus their consulate and a police background check again scrutinzed the same way, you will then be issued a work permit.

If you are on a 3 year contract you will qualify for a longer term visa which is a residents card of sorts. You will be treated as under Vietnamese labor law which means a severance package etc. Kinda weird but they pay you extra to leave!

It is not like Thailand where you have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Once you've got your visa, renewal itself is easy and its best just to go through an agent.

They have websites there targeted at the expats but not so active, you should able to find them.

The real concerns are runnaway inflation, noise pollution, air quality, road safety, crossing the street, riding on or in vehicles, crimes like theft, traffic jams, higher hosuing costs and if you have ids Intl schools are big bucks here, that sort of thing but since you have visited you know that.

Make sure you keep your blue residence registration book updated with the landlord and ready to show the police in case they come a knock'in in the middle of the nite.

As everyone is figuring out Vietnam is sort of stealing Thailand's thunder. There is even alot of Thai expats here to go along with everyone else helping this country develop.

The Business / Investment visa is the way to go but need a company willing to sponsor/hire you.

The real concerns are runnaway inflation, noise pollution, air quality, road safety, crossing the street, riding on or in vehicles, crimes like theft, traffic jams, higher hosuing costs and if you have ids Intl schools are big bucks here, that sort of thing but since you have visited you know that.

Don't disagree with anything you've written but I do take issue with most of that statement. You don't say on what location you base the above but judging Viet Nam by Ha Noi or HCMC/Vung Tau is like judging Thailand by Bangkok or Pattaya. But, yes, international schools are <deleted> expensive and rare as rocking horse sh1t. The only guy on this project, 120 km south of Da Nang, with family here is having to billet them down in HCMC for access to schooling and the costs are eye watering. The other true statement is road safety, okay crossing the street but as for driving or riding a motorcycle, it is reasonably safe during the day but you'll be shattered from the 100% concentration after 20 km. At night it doesn't even warrant thinking about, think about the worst road in Thailand then multiply it by ten and you come close.

Thanks for the replies. I myself am a Retired U.S. Marine living and working in Bangkok. I want to stop working and go somewhere that I can just live off my retirement and to be able to get a long term visa without all the hassles Thailand has. I am 48 so I cannot get the Retirement visa in Thailand. Not married and will not marry for a visa. So I'm one of the guys caught in the middle.

Any ideas on what would work best in my situation?

Dan

Thanks for the replies. I myself am a Retired U.S. Marine living and working in Bangkok. I want to stop working and go somewhere that I can just live off my retirement and to be able to get a long term visa without all the hassles Thailand has. I am 48 so I cannot get the Retirement visa in Thailand. Not married and will not marry for a visa. So I'm one of the guys caught in the middle.

Any ideas on what would work best in my situation?

Dan

Why don't you get an easy job in VN that will supply a WP, work as few hours as possible and visit Thailand whenever you want. The airfares can be cheap espcially Air Asia Hanoi and the bus from HCMC to Thailand via stops in Cambo is dirt cheap. I know I guy who quit robitics programming and animation to be happy enough teaching English at Cleverlearn and makes around 2 grand a month or so I am told. I am assuming they do visa support. Anyway its nothing like Thailand to renew a vias about 65-75 USD for nearly 6 months through an agent.

All the negatives I was quoting on VN apply to life in the big city where most of the work is.

Air Asia Hanoi and the bus from HCMC to Thailand via stops in Cambo is dirt cheap.

Can you tell me, what a round trip costs ad from where the bus leaves and where it arrives ? How long lasts this bus trip, and how is the "quality ?

And if you are interested in a Vietnamese visa parallel to the Thai 30 day visa run, you are in for a treat! If you just have a tourist visa in Vietnam, you can just drop by any local travel shop or police station to extend your visa. Technically you can only do this a few times, but small bribes go along way especially once you get to know people. My friend entered the country on a tourist visa and continuously extended it for about a year, when he chose to leave the country. Oh ya, and i think each extension is 60 days but I am not sure on those details. In any case, its really easy, and I think its around $30/extension.

And as far as the statement about Vietnam being so "scary", its not all untrue, you certainly have to use a lot more caution than in Thailand, but its not all that bad. And like somebody said, it makes a big difference where you are. I also love Vietnam.

Edited by blakegeee

Dan- You do not need a work permit to stay in Vietnam. Just get a visa, and renew while in the country. 6 month/multi-entry is no problem, and a travel agent will renew for you for around $80-90USD. There are no visa runs. Under current laws, you can pretty much do this for as long as you want to stay, as I know many here +10yrs doing exactly that. Having a work permit allows you to apply for temporary residency. Marriage allows for permanent residency or a 4yr multi-entry visa. So, if you want to work or marry, then it has its advantages, but you can come stay here forever (based on current laws) without doing either.

TTS- Latelty I take Mai Linh for bus HCM/PNH. Cost is $21rt, which includes lunch, and walking you through customs. Last year I took a bus from the back pack area for $11rt, but they drop you at the border, you must fend for yourself with customs, switch bus at border, no lunch, etc. Time for either is around 6-7hrs.