Learning muay thai in bkk

simon43

Hi - I must be a masochist because I have recently started Muay Thai lessons when I'm in the UK.  But on my stays in BKK I get no chance to continue these lessons or to practice having the sh*t beaten out of me :o

I'm certainly a beginner!  But can anyone recommend a Muay Thai club in BKK (I'm in Silom) who teach farang? (By that I mean they will teach in English - my Thai is still at early stages..)

Ta!!

There is a good gym on Sukhumvit road. Type "Jitti's gym" into a search engine for details and the address. They crack heads, shins and clavicles each afternoon from 3 til 6, and are happy to pound farangs in to bloody pulps. Jitti is very helpful and speaks good English.

I used to box Muay Thai ( for 15 years ) I found the best Gym

to be just outside Pattaya.

Its called Sityodtong , they have a scheme where farang can stay there, train ,eat etc for quiet a low fee. A lot of world champs have used the gym( Rob Kaman, Ramon Dekkers, Ronnie Green to mention a few) The only problem i found was the amount of running they did, 2 x 5 miles every day!

The chief instructor , Mr Sityodtong also trained Samart Payakarun, who was also a WBC lightweight champ for 3 years.

Hope this helps, its as good or better than any gym I tried in Bkk.I found the problem with Bangkok gyms was the air condition is so polluted that it starts to affect your respiratory system when exercising heavily.

Even if you are a novice standard ( ie no fights) most gyms will accept you, but you will receive more attention if you are more accomplished. They can even set up fights for you in the local stadium if you show promise, I had a few fights in the Best friend bar , but would not recommend this route.

You see the guys fighting night after night, usually hopeless, then when you tell them you want a fight in a few days they

line you up against the best they can find, sometimes too good...lol Fortunately we farangs usually have a decent weight advantage ( not many 12 stone Thai boxers ) but I received a battering nonetheless.....

ps the link inthe above post is very good

Good luck mate!

Phil ???

Sityodtong Boxing Camp

90 moo 6, Nongprue

Pattaya City

Chonburi

Tel: +66 38 730039