Bringing Gifts

ophelia

I want to bring a gift of a pasta maker, you know the type, the hand crank jobbie, to a friend of mine in Thailand. I can't imagine it would be a problem, but who knows? If you do, could you tell me, please.

thanks

ps, I'd like to bring some other kitchen items as well, like bread pans. are there rules about what you can and cannot bring in?

post-6192-1199522059_thumb.jpg

You want one of these? Haven't seen them in Thailand. If that is what your friend wants, I say: 'Go for it!'

When I first came to Thailand I brought heaps of Australian souveniers: cuddly toys (kangaroos, koalas etc), stickers, playing cards with Australian motifs on them, Aussie flags etc. Now I have quite a few friends I try and discretely find out what they like and shop around accordingly.

Thais like shopping - but they also like gifts. Best of luck.

I am sure you won't have any problems bringing in your pasta maker. Just watch the dreaded excess baggage charge. Weigh your luggage on your bathroom scales to before you leave for the airport to avoid any nasty surprises when you check-in.

Peter

No problem at all, I've brought one of those back, it rusted :o I have also brought back pans and other kitchen stuff and never had a problem. But yes, beware the overweight luggage charges.

when I fly into BKK this week I shall be bringing a splendid array of super-dooper body scrubbing shower mitts from the Danube hyperstore in Jeddah for my beloved nieces...there shall also be a grand selection of 'I Love Dubai' t-shirts, ball caps and other souveniers from the duty free...

if anyone at airport customs so much as lifts an eyebrow I shall become very, very cross :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

thanks for the quick responses, all.

Peter: I don't own bathroom scales!!! Why would I want those? ahem

As for excess baggage...when I travel, I do it with as little as possible, so I doubt I'll have an issue there. I will, however, be seeking out these friends as quickly as possible, to get the weight out of my luggage.

I appreciate your help, folks. Sorry to hear about the rusting pasta maker, sbk. I'll make sure to tell my friends, so they can guard against the same fate. (as if...)

Two weeks to go until my return. Am I excited? oh yeah

ophelia

post-6192-1199522059_thumb.jpg

You want one of these? Haven't seen them in Thailand. If that is what your friend wants, I say: 'Go for it!'

When I first came to Thailand I brought heaps of Australian souveniers: cuddly toys (kangaroos, koalas etc), stickers, playing cards with Australian motifs on them, Aussie flags etc. Now I have quite a few friends I try and discretely find out what they like and shop around accordingly.

Thais like shopping - but they also like gifts. Best of luck.

I am sure you won't have any problems bringing in your pasta maker. Just watch the dreaded excess baggage charge. Weigh your luggage on your bathroom scales to before you leave for the airport to avoid any nasty surprises when you check-in.

Peter

I managed to bring in my own PC Printer in November, in it's original box. No questions asked at BKK, no problem at Manchester Airport, even though my luggage weight was approaching 40 kilos. They let me through without having to pay excess charges