What's With The Hang-up On This Forum

Nemesis

For all you spelling nit-pikcers out there, (and I surmise most of you are Brits) chill out would ya?

What is more important - knowing how to use the English language properly to make your point or making sure that every word you write is 'properly' spelled? Why take the time to look up a word for its 'proper' spelling or even care if you spell the word 'correctly' for a post that will be read by so few, understood by even fewer and commented upon by even fewer yet and taken to heart by none?

Think you know English? Think again. There are over a million English words and the list grows daily. How many do you know? Any good unabridged English dictionary contains perhaps 800,000 entries, give or take. How many of those words do you know much less can spell and give the meaning, all the meanings, not to mention the pronunciation? Think you know quite a few? Think again.

Even if you know 20,000, (you don't) you would only know about .025 percent of the words in a dictionary not the words extant.

That's 2 1/2 percent for those of you mathematically challenged.

One of the greatest if not the greatest wordsmith of the English language was Shakespeare, or was it

Shakespere

Shakespear

Shakspeare

Shackspeare

Shackespeare

Shackspere

Shackespere

Shaxspere

Shexpere

Shakspe~

Shaxpere

Shaxpeare

Shaxper

Shake-speare

Shakespe

Shakp?

He was known to spell his name at least 13 diff ways.

I rest my case. You snootty spelling nit-pickers, find something else to nit-pick about.

I think correct spelling/grammar on forums is overated.

I see forums as a means of exchanging information

If you can interpret the meaning of a word from the text or passage of text, who cares if it is spelled correctly or properly grammatically structured.

For myself, I try to make sure I spell everything correctly when I am typing anything. Its just a personal preference. Sometimes I can be a perfectionist and when typing something, thats perfectionist spirit comes out of me. I believe it exemplifies professionalism in individuals.

In no way do I expect other people to maintain this same high standard I hold for myself, its just the way I choose to conduct myself. Whatever anyone wants to do is fine. A forum is for exchanging ideas, thoughts, and information and never has been looked upon as formal or business-like so spelling something wrong should not be frowned upon. Rest easy. :o

I try to stick to a reasonably correct spelling and run the occasional word through a spell check, which, of course, does not help much, if it is set to Oxford English and somebody from Texas will not understand it.

Any typo I blame on the keyboard, NOT ME!

Otherwise, language is a means of communication to most but the linguists.

For all you spelling nit-pikcers out there, (and I surmise most of you are Brits) chill out would ya?

What is more important - knowing how to use the English language properly to make your point or making sure that every word you write is 'properly' spelled? Why take the time to look up a word for its 'proper' spelling or even care if you spell the word 'correctly' for a post that will be read by so few, understood by even fewer and commented upon by even fewer yet and taken to heart by none?

We should not be prepared to tolerate sloppy illiteracy.That means posters should make every effort to spell correctly but where as in the case of Nemesis there has obviously been a poor education, every allowance should be made.I am sure there are many who would be prepared to advise the likes of Nemesis where there are learning challenges..I don't think there would be a preference between the correct American (Websters) or British usage(OED).

Don't try and make this a Brits vs Americans issue.There is a long and proud American tradition of correct spelling, exemplified by the great spelling Bee contests.

In case the mentally sluggish are wondering why is this important, I would point out that if there is an ignorant and careless attitude to spelling, the clarity and sense of meaning is undermined.Have you ever come across a writer who despises correct spelling but where the meaning and intention are crystal clear?

First I've heard about anyone getting their knickers in a twist about spelling! Poor grammer and spelling will "out" people as fast as crude speech but as been said, this is just a forum exchanging opinions. Don't know 'bout y'all but I can think of lots of other things to get excited over like individuals who slag Thais and Thailand around here... :o

Shakespere             

Shakespear             

Shakspeare             

Shackspeare           

Shackespeare           

Shackspere             

Shackespere             

Shaxspere               

Shexpere               

Shakspe~               

Shaxpere               

Shaxpeare               

Shaxper                 

Shake-speare           

Shakespe               

Shakp?

Your numerical skills are on-the-blink as well by the looks of things, Nemesis. There are at least 16 Shakespears (is that right?) here.

You also sound a bit stressed-out, going by all the hot air coming from your direction. Get yourself bg and have a blow-out my friend!!

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dsneo't mttaer

in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iroemptnt tihng is

taht the fsrit and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be

a ttoal mses

and you can sitll raed it wtuhiot any peborlm.Tihs is bcuseae the haumn

mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Anzamig

huh?

*** If you took leongr tahn 30 soecnds to raed the aovbe, tahn you

hvae an IQ lweor tahn a mkoney. TURE FCATS.

Too many English teachers me thinks!!!!!!!

a suggestion :D

there are a few members who keeps making posts with low level content, incomplete sentence, misspelled words, ...

to those members, if you don't improve your quality, do not expect your posting privilege will be last long.

this is a message board, not instant messaging. you have plenty of time to check your typing. In other words, type too fast is not an excuse.

Posts full of misspelled words, grammatical errors, or incomplete meanings, (etc) simply indicate your lack of respect to the readers and to this system. If you can't make a better effort to improve your posts, you will soon be out.

:o

there are a few members who keeps making posts with low level content, incomplete sentence, misspelled words, ...

to those members, if you don't improve your quality, do not expect your posting privilege will be last long.

this is a message board, not instant messaging. you have plenty of time to check your typing. In other words, type too fast is not an excuse.

Posts full of misspelled words, grammatical errors, or incomplete meanings, (etc) simply indicate your lack of respect to the readers and to this system. If you can't make a better effort to improve your posts, you will soon be out.

:D

Are you being serious?

Im sorry, but you sound incredibly stuck up. :o

The forum is about Thailand not poxy spelling, as long as you can read and understand what is said, then who gives a stuff about full stops etc ?

This isnt a spelling forum and it isnt a place to judge people if they were never very good at english.

ADCNOCIRG TO A RESARCHCEH Cmolpteed by CONFUSION rsetuarnat on Skumuviht Soi 23, IT DEN'SOT MTATER IN WAHT OEDRR THE LTETRES IN A WORD ARE THE OLNY IEPRNMTOT TINHG IS TAHT FSRIT AND LAST LTEETR IS AT THE RGHIT PCLAE. THE REST CAN BE A TATOL MESS AND YOU CAN STLIL READ IT WOTHIUT ANY PEORBLM. TIHS IS BCEASUE WE DO NOT RAED ERVEY LEETTR BY IT SELF BUT THE WORD AS A WLOHE.

a ttoal mses

huh?

:o:D:D

a suggestion  :o

a few members who keeps,

a few members who keep or a member who keeps

ah singular and plural, I think he is joking. :D

Think you know English? Think again. There are over a million English words and the list grows daily. How many do you know? Any good unabridged English dictionary contains perhaps 800,000 entries, give or take. How many of those words do you know much less can spell and give the meaning, all the meanings, not to mention the pronunciation? Think you know quite a few? Think again.

Even if you know 20,000, (you don't) you would only know about .025 percent of the words in a dictionary not the words extant.

That's 2 1/2 percent for those of you mathematically challenged.

One of the greatest if not the greatest wordsmith of the English language was Shakespeare, or was it

Shakespere

Shakespear

Shakspeare

Shackspeare

Shackespeare

Shackspere

Shackespere

Shaxspere

Shexpere

Shakspe~

Shaxpere

Shaxpeare

Shaxper

Shake-speare

Shakespe

Shakp?

I rest my case. You snootty spelling nit-pickers, find something else to nit-pick about.

It is my understanding that there many nationalities using this forum and any native English speaking person using this forum should ensure that at least there topic is readable in the first instance.

Ensuring that non-native English speaking members can answer any queries put to this forum. This in itself is plane curtsey.

If any English-speaking person has a problem with there, English spelling this is quite easy to check in word.

This will then cause no embarrassment.

a ttoal mses

huh?

great post :D read it in 15 seconds flat :o

Acting as the Moron teacher again Harry ???

Maybe you should try to spell in my language for a while , see how you do :o

never mind the spelling harry,stop writing crap,then again you would not post anything :o:D too much time on your sad life mate get out more,theres a big world out their,maybe you have no friends,laugh at your own jokes that sort of thing,keep off the treads a while no one will miss you,muppet :D

a suggestion  :D

Harry, you've got to be kidding! The only people on here who should be going by spelling and grammar rules are teachers. You are a teacher, so you say, but I have seen only uncapitalized letters, fragment sentences and odd punctuation to say the least, from you. You're a frigging riot spunky! :o:D:D . I take that back. Now that I think of it; your s### isn't even funny! What is your point?