How Can A Foreigner Work Legally In Thailand?

There is a lot of debate and info scattered around the board regarding how difficult it is for a "farang" to work legally in Thailand. Is there a definitive easy to understand guide published anywhere on TV or anywhere else detailing what a foreigner can and can't do work-wise at in Thailand?

Maybe the gurus on the boards who know, can post a little info here relating to PRECISE ways it IS possible to do PAID work in Thailand and obtain a work permit to legally follow these activities. This can include:

Working for a Thai employer (what kind of work is allowed? Any?)

Is it possible to work legally after setting up a Thai OR foreign company?

If sent to Thailand by an overseas (uk for example) company.

Is there a list of restricted/accepted trades? (I'm having trouble understanding the smallprint of the Foreign Business Act).

etc. etc. etc.

I'm just trying to follow a positive approach to getting a handle on all the things that a farang "could" possibly do to earn a living in Land of :D .

I've spent a year in Thailand so far (recreational) and turned to this board for info many times but this is my first post, so be gentle with me :o

Marvo.

Suggest you search the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Immiration Department, Export Promotion Department, and various other govt websites. There are many "restricted" jobs foreigners cannot do. If you can get an offer of employment from a company registered in Thailand, they can apply for a work permit for you, but it is not an easy process and the fees are quite high (I can't remember the amount). The WP restricts you to a specific job at a specific location.

If you set up a company, there are rules about how many Thai employees must be inplace before a WP can be issued to a foreigner, plus rules about minimum salary levels, tax etc.

I'm sure someone here can answer some of your questions, but a bit of googling will surely point you in the right direction too :o

"...but it is not an easy process and the fees are quite high..."

Unless it's changed in the last two months it's 3000 baht for one year, plus 100 baht filing fee.

Once the employer understands what paperwork is needed, it's pretty straightforward process.

For a foreigner to work in Thailand the employer must be able to show that there is no local person with the relevant skills

to fill the post.

Then if the salary is sufficient, and this depends on nationality, then the employer can apply for a work permit.

There is a list of jobs reserved for Thai citizens, no doubt someone will add it to the info here.

Anyone have that list of jobs reserved exclusively for Thai citizens? And can I apply for "PM" if they don't get this election business sorted? :o

regardless of the 'list', it is quite common for expats to be hired as 'consultants', thus getting around the legalities of the situation. Ironically, foreign lawyers, probably top the list as the proffesional group who come here as consultants as practicing law is reserved for Thai nationals only (bar a few grandfathered long term expats).