Real Omelet?

zeusbheld

yeah i *know* i could make my own but i want to find a place that'll do it for me, and do it right. you know, properly light an fluffy, not a folded scrambled egg. done right, they ain't that easy to find in new york, so i don't have high hopes for bangers, but thought i'd give it a go.

any suggestions, aside from making it myself?

oh and in advance of the inevitable self-righteous twits who will always jump in on threads like this and say "it's thailand did you should eat thai food blah blah blah"

a: get over yourselves; i probably eat more thai food than you do. i've been here long enough wherein farrang food has become exotic and interesting. your missionary zeal is wasted.

b: also note that i'm not here on holiday so spare me your "yanks on holiday in thailand" lectures generally. your missionary zeal is impressive. but misplaced and uninteresting.

You might reconsider making your own.... this recipe is awesome, and you won't find an omelette like this anywhere.

Bino's Gourmet Souffle Omelette

Prepare any cooked fillings in advance- whatever you want. Sauteed onions, bacon, ham, grated cheese, salsa etc.

Separate 3 eggs- whites in a large, clean, dry bowl. Dump yolks in a smaller bowl.

Whip the egg whites until firm. The egg whites should form a "peak" with the tip folding over when you lift out the eggbeater.

Beat the yolks enough to combine them, and then fold them into the whites very gently to mix them without flattening the whites.

Pour the mix into an oiled non-stick skillet on medium to medium high heat (6 out of 10 on my stove), and cover. Check occasionally, working the spatula under the edge to ensure that the omelette is not sticking.

Add your cheese and filling when the top surface looks "meduim dry-ish". Cover and cook for about 60 - 90 seconds more.

Cut it in half across the diameter in the pan, and flip one side on top same as folding. Pre-cutting is required, as it will be too thick to fold otherwise.

Cook for another 60 seconds, and serve ASAP. A nice light fluffy omelette guaranteed to ipmress. Serves two people nicely.

Edit- Especially delicious with smoked salmon filling and hollandaise sauce!

Thanks bino, that looks like a winner; I remember in France the cooks whipping the eggwhites before folding in the yolks and the omelettes were so light and fluffy I thought they put in baking soda!

My problem with omelets eaten in restaurants is that they are overcooked or cooked on too high heat. I do not like the taste of a "browned" omelet, so I never order them at a restaurant. Thanks again for the recipe, I'll make it at home.

You might reconsider making your own.... this recipe is awesome, and you won't find an omelette like this anywhere.

i appreciate the effort but as i said rather pointedly in the original post i am not interested in making my own, i am looking for a restaurant that serves decent omelettes.

as it happens i *know* how to make an omelette. i'm not looking for recipes or tips, although i'm sure some people will find it helpful.

so lemme try again:

does anyone know a restaurant that does decent omelettes?

I sometimes eat breakfast with business guests at their hotels. Royal Orchid Sheraton, Shangri La, are two that come to mind, but normally I find the higher end hotels will have a good omelet station. You can also try these type hotels for their Sunday Brunches, which normally have a good omelet station.

i appreciate the effort but as i said rather pointedly in the original post i am not interested in making my own,

Pointedly not interested? I read it as

yeah i *know* i could make my own

So- I was suggesting a way that you could do it.

Good luck finding your omellete. If you do, let us know about it!

• 3 weeks later...
i appreciate the effort but as i said rather pointedly in the original post i am not interested in making my own,

Pointedly not interested? I read it as

yeah i *know* i could make my own

the whole sentence was "yeah i *know* i could make my own but i want to find a place that'll do it for me, and do it right." no offense but the second half was rather important. of course you *could* invite me over for an omelet...

no doubt the recipe will be useful to someone though (i already have a recipe i like should i choose to cook at home).

Good luck finding your omellete. If you do, let us know about it!

still working on it, checking the better hotels is a good suggestion. been distracted by a spicy liver dish at my local isaan joint, yummy. if i do find the grail (a perfect omelet) i'll post. and anyone who has found one (made by someone else).

Thai Kai Geaw Rules. i guess you guys eat food in sukimivit and near by areas..yaak...

not generally, no. rarely go to sukhumvit. if i did, i might have more ideas as to where to find a place serving properly fluffy, french-style omelets.

Pork Omlit fluffed With tomatos and Some addes crap in to it they rule.

if i tryed i tryed to cook it. I would suck

i find it very easy to find good thai food, that's why i didnt ask about it. i find it interesting that people jump in and answer every question except the one asked.

Crepes and Company

www.crepes.co.th

Sukhumvit Soi 12 has the best breakfast in Bangkok. It's omelettes are pretty great, and the pancakes with real maple syrup are even better.

Now that I told you, will you send me 500 baht so that I can go eat there?

-Skettios

as was suggested, a 'high end' hotel breakfast buffet would probably be the way to go to find a superior omelette. However, I've never seen any that use the 'egg white separation/beat until fluffy' method as the omelette chefs usually got a bunch of people waiting and concentrate on volume.

The best omelette (a cepes) that I ever had was EN FRANCE inna small restaurant in the Perigord region...'indescribably deliceuse'; pretty sure that the separation method was used on that one... :o:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

You're asking for a lot Zeus, I havent seen a fluffy omelet in this country. I'm thinking they should open up a Dennys or Sambos

haha really REALLY asking a lot, as i've not been impressed by Denny's (don't know Sambos).

i didn't try other forums (such as bkk forum) yet but this is enough info to get me started.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions, especially Skettios (the check is in the mail, trust me on this). when i make it to the crepes place i will post a mini review here.

• 2 weeks later...

i appreciate the effort but as i said rather pointedly in the original post i am not interested in making my own, i am looking for a restaurant that serves decent omelettes.

as it happens i *know* how to make an omelette. i'm not looking for recipes or tips, although i'm sure some people will find it helpful.

so lemme try again:

Good Lord you're a bit cranky aren't you?

• 4 weeks later...

so lemme try again:

Good Lord you're a bit cranky aren't you?

by *your* standards, apparently. as far as *i* can tell, i merely reiterated my question, and emphasized what did--and did not--need to know.

so if that's cranky then yeah i'm cranky but it did eventually lead to the answer i was looking for, as opposed to a lot of recipes (incidentally, i prefer the recipe by James Beard). so if that's cranky then that's fine by me, coz as far as i can tell, cranky works.

still haven't tried these omelette places though, will advise next time the omelette mood hits me and i actually do try 'em.