Casting Agents For Kids In Bangkok

jumnien

I haven't visited TV much for a few weeks as I brought my lovely five month old to meet his grandparents in Ireland. I had forgotten what it was like here. I think it is sad that just because sunrise wants to do introduce his children, to what seems like a fun experience, he is labelled an abusive parent. I agree with him, that it is to escape this type of thinking that many westerners move to Thailand. I wonder if these same posters view parents who want their kids to do well in school, by investing in their education, as abusive too. Good luck sunrise.

Edited by garro

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, I really appreciate all the comments on this thread and many of them have changed my philosophy towards child-rearing. I've had a complete reversal on this modelling issue. I don't want him being spoiled and hanging out with Bangkok hi-so and god-forbid Thai-Chinese people. Mobi is exactly right - modelling is about ego, ego, ego no matter how you look at it. My son desperately needs to be involved in more humbling work.

Anyway, we started him today working with a masonry crew on a construction project down the road. He'll be doing manual labor working 12 hours a day mixing mortar and carrying bricks. I do feel a sense of shame regarding previously exposing him to the dangers of the modelling industry and I'm now proud of his new life. He will start kindergarten in a few years and will probably have to cut down on the hours of manual labor, but at least a good work ethic and proper manly values will have been instilled by then. If he doesn't excel at school, we'll take his little butt out of there and commit him full time to the rigors of manual labor. I'll have no pansy girly modelling world around my little man!

Does anyone have any contacts for structural steel contractors in Bangkok that might be interested in hiring a 2 1/2 year old boy who can get into tight places that a 40 kilogram Burmese teenager couldn't dream of squeezing?

Atta Boy!! :o

You know, I really appreciate all the comments on this thread and many of them have changed my philosophy towards child-rearing. I've had a complete reversal on this modelling issue. I don't want him being spoiled and hanging out with Bangkok hi-so and god-forbid Thai-Chinese people. Mobi is exactly right - modelling is about ego, ego, ego no matter how you look at it. My son desperately needs to be involved in more humbling work.

Anyway, we started him today working with a masonry crew on a construction project down the road. He'll be doing manual labor working 12 hours a day mixing mortar and carrying bricks. I do feel a sense of shame regarding previously exposing him to the dangers of the modelling industry and I'm now proud of his new life. He will start kindergarten in a few years and will probably have to cut down on the hours of manual labor, but at least a good work ethic and proper manly values will have been instilled by then. If he doesn't excel at school, we'll take his little butt out of there and commit him full time to the rigors of manual labor. I'll have no pansy girly modelling world around my little man!

Does anyone have any contacts for structural steel contractors in Bangkok that might be interested in hiring a 2 1/2 year old boy who can get into tight places that a 40 kilogram Burmese teenager couldn't dream of squeezing?

Well, so you think you are above these Burmese hard working construction workers? If you didn't feel shame before, start feel it now, despite how ironic this was suppose to be ...

I haven't visited TV much for a few weeks as I brought my lovely five month old to meet his grandparents in Ireland. I had forgotten what it was like here. I think it is sad that just because sunrise wants to do introduce his children, to what seems like a fun experience, he is labelled an abusive parent. I agree with him, that it is to escape this type of thinking that many westerners move to Thailand. I wonder if these same posters view parents who want their kids to do well in school, by investing in their education, as abusive too. Good luck sunrise.

Good to have you back Garro. Happy new year to you & your family. :o

Interesting point you have put forward: I neither agree or disagree with it - up to each individual family to make their own decisions.

What you have said - as I see it - is that if you move, encourage, invest in your child's future in a socially acceptable enterprise - school in most people's minds, soceity will accept that you are a good parent.

If you invest you child's future in a less than PC enterprise, however, one that will be very good for the child's future, soceity will jump on you and say you are a bad parent.

Now where does that leave us? Soceity determines our children's future or the child's parents?

Interesting question. :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

Pretty sad taking your kids down that route IMO, although I suspect most of the time it's pressure from the missus or family members with big bucks in their eyes or some face to gain. If you really want to see your kids happy and playing take them to a park/playground as a choice as opposed to a purpose. Couldn't bear the thought of exploiting my boy for the above reasons and then possibly having him turn into a brat/snob as a result of the fickle nature of that whole industry. Look at it all from the kids' point of view :o

Pretty sad taking your kids down that route IMO, although I suspect most of the time it's pressure from the missus or family members with big bucks in their eyes or some face to gain. If you really want to see your kids happy and playing take them to a park/playground as a choice as opposed to a purpose. Couldn't bear the thought of exploiting my boy for the above reasons and then possibly having him turn into a brat/snob as a result of the fickle nature of that whole industry. Look at it all from the kids' point of view :o

My kid thoroughly enjoyed his day at Amarin Publishing, as did the missus and I. We had lunch in the outside canteen area after touring a local wat (it's in a lovely area on the Thonburi side). We played with the turtles and the fish in Buddhadasa garden and then the family sat at the cafe area on the khlong and watched the longtail boats pass. Inside, he played with other children and had a fun time with all the staff who were, being typically Thai, delightful, silly and proficient. Really, it was a lovely family day together and a privilege to be the guests of such a well-run Thai company. That this contact with the spirit of Buddhadasa in such a natural setting would somehow be abusive is complete nonsense. My wife just joked that every Thai woman that wants a family with a farang man should read this thread through first!

Atta Boy!! :o

Don't know of any contractors but I have a welding set if you want him to get some parctise in. My little lad is just over 3 now so has outgrown it and now moving on to Tower Crane erection.

Bob the Builder came by at 7am this morning and threw the little lad in the back of the pickup with 24 other workers. Last night he came home from the site at 8pm covered in mortar. He sure slept good!

Update: Funny enough, the magazine Rak Luk just phoned and wants to do some print work next week. We'll have to see about breaking our contract with the construction company.

Edited by sunrise07

Atta Boy!! :D

I would propose working inside the cracks, in the taxi-ways & parking-bays, at Bangkok's new corruption-lite airport. :D

Sunrise07, I agrre with you very much on all this, and I took my sons (aged 5 & 11) for a couple of days as extras on a film-set, last year. They found it all very interesting, and quickly learned a very valuable lesson for life, that it is more fun & better-paid to be a leading-actor than an extra. Well worth a couple of days off-school, I judged. :o

Let's get a few things straight here.

No one - certainly not me - have ever suggested that the OP is an abusive parent. Misguided, maybe, but I didn't come close to suggesting that the OP being is abusive, and by using terms such as these, it only demonstrates how easy it is to distort what people are saying on this forum and then try to use it against them.

In the OP's opening post, he stated:

"My luk kreung son is now 2 years and 6 months old and is looking to get into the modelling profession for magazines, etc. He's done a little print work already and is eager to do more."

He then went on to say that his original statement was made in jest (no smiley's or anything to suggest that might have been the case), and then blamed it all on his wife, and finally said he was doing it to make the kid's grandfather happy!!

I will give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that the post was intended to be light-hearted, but in my book, on a relatively serious subject, it did not come across that way.

In my opinion, and I may be wrong, there are very few parents who put kids as young as this in front of cameras who aren't on their own ego trips, effectively basking in the reflected glory from the fame of their kids.

OK, this kind of thing might not do the kids irreparable harm, and they may even have a good time, but is this the right motive for putting them through such activities, when there are so many better and more 'normal' ways to raise their children and keep them happy and well adjusted?

This nonsense about putting money away for their education is a total red herring. If the parents care so much for their kids' futures, then they should go out and earn the money for their schooling, rather than make their kids earn it.

No, it's not even close to abuse, and every parent has the right to make these choices, and I'm sure most kids who are exposed to such activities come out the other end just fine.

I would just question the motives at play here, and suggest that in the long run the kids are better off staying at home. Mine did, and they turned out just fine thanks. :o

Flame away, all you parents of "Kids from fame" :D

lol....your interpretation of 'ego boosting parents' can be more successfully explained as being 'proud' parents seeing their kids do something different and having fun while they do it.....dont throw every parent that does this into your same problematic basket, we are not all the parents of the typical model princesses you see and hear about in America and even here to an extent lately.

It is just another life experience for all.

How dare you take your child to the playground and sit and watch them so egomaniacly as they show off how good they are on the swings. How dare you watch your child in a swimming race which you sent them to all those years ago for tortured swimming lessons and watch so egomaniacly as they win and show off their skills.

Anyway, my kid just wants the cash for a new go-kart and to see the personal assistants titties again....ok ok its not him that wants the go-kart.

Personally i think there is nothing wrong with the idea as long as you are not pushy. If your child thinks it's fun then good for them. I don't see the difference in parents pushing there young child to be a doctor or lawyer, i agree the child is just over 2 but aslong as it remains fun then i do not see a problem.

Some parents do take it to far just to put their child on display, so as long as it is not for personal gain then good look.

My GF runs a marketing company, and sometimes she uses models, both male and female for her projects. These are not proffesional models but they still get paid 2000bht per day. It can be a good career, although short even if they don't make the screen.

And your right, Westerners are to quick to put something or someone down.

Edited by TommyGun

As regards, the OP's original request, not sure whom among these are any good, but my production guide has the following companies listed:

Modeing 22

Apple Models

Candor

Bangkok Toraphab 02 530 7423

Casting 1 02 258 8903

CD Modeling Agency 02 322 2048

Club Model 02 952 5476

Dauphin 02 259 8240

Jen International Model Mgmt. 02 939 3228

Mode Models 02 616 7691

P&N Modeling 02 319 9251

There are a lot more, but I can't type that much. I have no idea of the reputation or ethics or abilities of any of these companies or even if they are still in business. This is just info from the production guide.

I work in post so I don't have to deal with set issues, but I have seen a few outtakes that make me less than impressed with how they handle people on occasion.

Dr. B

Thanks, Dr. Burrito. A simple answer to a very simple question! You are my hero!

I have to say that my wife has learned a lot about farangs from this thread; and she thought some of my friends were uptight. After reading some of the responses from humorless depressives on TV she's changed her mind.

Edited by sunrise07

Thanks, Dr. Burrito. A simple answer to a very simple question! You are my hero!

I have to say that my wife has learned a lot about farangs from this thread; and she thought some of my friends were uptight. After reading some of the responses from humorless depressives on TV she's changed her mind.

It is my observation that many, if not all the posters who have sympathised with you, have also put their kids through similar hoops, or would like to do so.

Most of the posts who are against such exploitation have been made by respected posters who have a good record of rational, reasoned argument, and are caring parents.

Calling us a bunch of 'humourless depressives' is a meaningless and immature attempt to belittle our point of view.

This is not earth shattering stuff, but we have stated that we disagree with the commercial exploitation of a young kid. You obviously disagree and you are entitled to an opposing view.

But I do not believe we have insulted you.

Good luck with you kiddie commercials, and I hope you all get what you expect from it - including Granddad :o

I hardly see spending a day leisurely enjoying a Buddhadasa-inspired garden with fish and turtles, playing with other children, dressing in imaginative costumes, and meeting new people as "the commercial exploitation of a young kid" as you put it. To each his own.

I hardly see "the commercial exploitation of a young kid" as you put it. To each his own.

erm...

Your first post said:

"Anyone with any connections for magazines or other media looking for handsome young little ones?"

So what makes you think all these assignments will always involve:

"spending a day leisurely enjoying a Buddhadasa-inspired garden with fish and turtles, playing with other children, dressing in imaginative costumes, and meeting new people"

?

And even your beloved Dr Burrito said:

"but I have seen a few outtakes that make me less than impressed with how they handle people on occasion."

Nuff said, methinks :o

'Nuff not said. Au contraire. Our family outings tend to be fun and filled with positive experiences where ever we go. The quote "but I have seen a few outtakes that make me less than impressed with how they handle people on occasion." hardly smacks of commercial exploitation at every turn. As I said, we had a wonderful experience and look forward to more. Live a little!

The OP (and one or two others) has maybe confused a beauty contest with acting -- as my earlier post may have indicated, some of the most successful child actors/commercial presenters have NOT been beautiful, and some maybe even downright homely (Jane Withers), and just being beautiful does not necessarily make a good child actor... and I have noticed this on TV even here in Thailand. Nor does every beautiful child have the temperament to be a good actor.

My favorite example of temperament is the two twin Rossellini sisters, Isabella and Ingrid, daughters of Ingrid Bergman, one of the most beautiful women of the 20th centruy. Isabella became an international actress; Ingrid received a PhD in Italian Literature, is a University Professor in New York, and generally shuns the limelight.

The OP (and one or two others) has maybe confused a beauty contest with acting -- as my earlier post may have indicated, some of the most successful child actors/commercial presenters have NOT been beautiful, and some maybe even downright homely (Jane Withers), and just being beautiful does not necessarily make a good child actor... and I have noticed this on TV even here in Thailand. Nor does every beautiful child have the temperament to be a good actor.

My favorite example of temperament is the two twin Rossellini sisters, Isabella and Ingrid, daughters of Ingrid Bergman, one of the most beautiful women of the 20th centruy. Isabella became an international actress; Ingrid received a PhD in Italian Literature, is a University Professor in New York, and generally shuns the limelight.

My luk kreung son is now 2 years and 6 months old and is looking to get into the modelling profession for magazines, etc. He's done a little print work already and is eager to do more. Anyone with any connections for magazines or other media looking for handsome young little ones?

The OP as quoted above does not mention acting at all nor does he have any interest in it.

for magazines or other media looking for handsome young little ones?

I'm telling you I know the OP and his child very well and he was completely honest when he said that he's done a little print work and is eager to do more. You can trust me.

Edited by sunrise07