Divorce Thai Style!

single_dad

Hi,

I never thought it would happen to me. Married a Thai 16 years ago.

Got three kids in England and she's ran back to mummy and daddy in Thailand because I'm out of work (and money).

Got a phone call 2 weeks ago and she wants a divorce and she said I have to keep the kids.

The kids are 14, 12 and 8.

I've joined this group for some info if possible. Here's what I need to know...

I got married to her in Thailand under Thai law (both signed).

Can I refuse her a divorce?

Can she get a divorce without me going to Thailand?

I heard that both have to sign for a divorce under Thai law or it can't be done, is this true?

Here's the reason...

I've really been taken for a fool and I would like to make it difficult for her as she has left me with three kids!

If she stays married to a 'farang' she can't own land, inherit property, buy a car etc. Is this true? And any other problems for her by staying married to me?

She never wanted a British passport (I always wondered why), she has a Thai passport with a green British residency visa.

Anybody please give me your feedback on personal experience or advice if possible.

Thanks. :o

p.s. Why would you want to stay married to this woman?

Well it's my 2nd marriage and I doubt I'll ever marry again anyway.

I feel used and if by me not consenting to a divorce it would make me feel a bit better if she can get some of the pain she has given me.

I've got the three kids and I'm really exhausted but I do love them very much and will look after them to the best of my abillities.

I don't want her to walk out on 16 years and treat her family like trash!

She can't get away with that. :o

If you got married in Thailand and the marriage was registered according to the law in Thailand she can not divorce you without your consent. There are 2 copies of your marriage certificate, you should have one and your wife the other. I would ask yourself the question, "Is it worthj it".

If you got married in Thailand and the marriage was registered according to the law in Thailand she can not divorce you without your consent. There are 2 copies of your marriage certificate, you should have one and your wife the other. I would ask yourself the question, "Is it worthj it".

That is not correct.

She can easily get a divorce at the local amphur after a few months on the grounds of you not supporting her.

The existance of two certificates is irrevelant

Lets remember here, we are hearing only one side of the story, 16 years of marrage, and 3 kids is heardly a scam is it!!! A lot of falang/falang marrages dont last this long.

After this long marrages rearly break down for one specific reason, but with the hurt and pain that goes with the break up its easy to say "oh she left cos I did'nt have (insert easy answer)"

Oh "Don't Marry A Thai" I take it you are going to be a bit of a one topic poster then :o

Anybody please give me your feedback on personal experience or advice if possible.

Let it go.

I've always had a personal philosophy that the only way a person's opinions/actions can be important to me is if I LET them be important to me.

So as long as you continue to care about what this woman does or doesn't do, you're essentially saying, "She's still important to me."

She left you with three kids and is writing from Thailand asking for a divorce, WHY do you want her to remain "important" to you?? It doesn't seem like a healthy use of your mental energies.

Try to focus on the positives in this situation: 1) You've got three wonderful kids. That's a blessing many people dream to have. So you're a lucky man. 2) You know now that this woman is a "fair-weather" wife who doesn't want to stick it out during the hard times. That's valuable information to have about a person and it should tell you that she's NOT WORTH your time and energy.

Trying to "punish" her or "get revenge" is just juvenile. Why sink to her level? She hurt you and left you in a bad spot, why must you hurt her to make things even?? If you're trying to prevent her from owning land or remarrying, what you're really trying to do is remain in her life (even if it's in a negative way). And that means that you're still trying to remain "important" to her.

But why do you need her attentions? Why do you need to remain in her life? She's demonstrated that she's not a good person for you, so why are you letting the actions of an unimportant person CONTROL YOUR LIFE??

As long as you continue to care about what she's doing, you're letting her actions remain important to you, which means you're allowing her to control your life (to a degree).

Is that what you really want? Do you really want this bad woman halfway around the world to have an influence on your happiness and well-being?? Is that really healthy for you and YOUR kids??

Let it go.

The sooner you do, the happier you'll be.

Let it go.

I've always had a personal philosophy that the only way a person's opinions/actions can be important to me is if I LET them be important to me.

So as long as you continue to care about what this woman does or doesn't do, you're essentially saying, "She's still important to me."

She left you with three kids and is writing from Thailand asking for a divorce, WHY do you want her to remain "important" to you?? It doesn't seem like a healthy use of your mental energies.

Try to focus on the positives in this situation: 1) You've got three wonderful kids. That's a blessing many people dream to have. So you're a lucky man. 2) You know now that this woman is a "fair-weather" wife who doesn't want to stick it out during the hard times. That's valuable information to have about a person and it should tell you that she's NOT WORTH your time and energy.

Trying to "punish" her or "get revenge" is just juvenile. Why sink to her level? She hurt you and left you in a bad spot, why must you hurt her to make things even?? If you're trying to prevent her from owning land or remarrying, what you're really trying to do is remain in her life (even if it's in a negative way). And that means that you're still trying to remain "important" to her.

But why do you need her attentions? Why do you need to remain in her life? She's demonstrated that she's not a good person for you, so why are you letting the actions of an unimportant person CONTROL YOUR LIFE??

As long as you continue to care about what she's doing, you're letting her actions remain important to you, which means you're allowing her to control your life (to a degree).

Is that what you really want? Do you really want this bad woman halfway around the world to have an influence on your happiness and well-being?? Is that really healthy for you and YOUR kids??

Let it go.

The sooner you do, the happier you'll be.

Sound advice here.

I think the more you try to "nail" her the longer the bad crap in your life will drag out and it will drag you down. You know, messy divorces are no fun and you are trying to fight fire with fire. If you can get out of this marriage without losing half of your assets then you're doing better than alot of people.

You have 3 kids and now you have to think about them and forget her. Why? Because she has proved to you that she is worth nothing, she is not WORTH ANYTHING.

If you really must win then sit and wait. I bet you in the not so distant future she will want access to her kids and then you deny her at least until the kids are old enough to make their own decisions. She abandoned them but I bet she will come back to you looking for them.

Dr PP...I have to admit that I like asses...my wife has the nicest one I've ever seen. With regard to nailing the bitch this is best done passively...inhibit legal maneouvres to seize your goods and simply deny her access to the kids until she obtains the required legal scrip which may take years. Bad divorces are a drag as I well know. Took me 4 years and 10000 pounds to unload my previous European wife who had an undeclared income and I still have no free access to my son. She filed the action but did nothing when I responded...an effective tactic. I hope that she dies alone and in pain.

I am surprised by the advice/responses to your situation.

You have invested 16 years of your life, produced three children

that will carry your genes on for another 80 years after you are

gone and you are giving up ??

You did not give us very much information except that she left

and you believe it is because of the present (temporary) money

problems. Did you ever have a conversation with her to find out

what other things might be bothering her ?

There is an old saying among backpackers/hikers .......

"it is rarely the first event that kills you, but your responses

to the event that determines ultimately what happens"

If you remain positive and non vindictive; better yet supportive

and understanding to the pain which made her leave, you may

very well save your marriage.

Dr PP...I have to admit that I like asses...my wife has the nicest one I've ever seen. With regard to nailing the bitch this is best done passively...inhibit legal maneouvres to seize your goods and simply deny her access to the kids until she obtains the required legal scrip which may take years. Bad divorces are a drag as I well know. Took me 4 years and 10000 pounds to unload my previous European wife who had an undeclared income and I still have no free access to my son. She filed the action but did nothing when I responded...an effective tactic. I hope that she dies alone and in pain.

:o

deny her the kids, leave it at that. Punish enough

I am surprised by the advice/responses to your situation.

You have invested 16 years of your life, produced three children

that will carry your genes on for another 80 years after you are

gone and you are giving up ??

You did not give us very much information except that she left

and you believe it is because of the present (temporary) money

problems. Did you ever have a conversation with her to find out

what other things might be bothering her ?

There is an old saying among backpackers/hikers .......

"it is rarely the first event that kills you, but your responses

to the event that determines ultimately what happens"

If you remain positive and non vindictive; better yet supportive

and understanding to the pain which made her leave, you may

very well save your marriage.

I kind of agree but there is no way I would want to continue with a lady who has the capacity to run half way round the world and state that she wants nothing more to do with the kids.

No way

Lads, come on,

“Deny her the kids” should NOT be an option considered. Children should never be used as weapons to hurt your ex.

You are also denying the kids of a parent (yes not a good one, but they only have 2) and the kids will also be hurt if the are aware that they are used in this way.

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

What a wonderful gift your wife has given you, 3 children :D who will love you unconditionally and now she has left the scene for you to enjoy them alone.

If you are in the UK the social services :D will not let you or your kids go hungry, I know several people in a broadly similar situation to you and they manage ok.

In 5 or 10 years time when you feel that your life is back on track and you have your family around you, just reflect on how lucky you are to be free of her. :o

I understand that at the moment you feel used and betrayed :D but this will pass and life will get better.

Don’t look back, be happy for what you have and not sad for what you feel you have lost. :wub:

Time is a wonderful gift, it smooth out pain and instils calm to the spirit.

Let her go, think about your children, don’t slag her off to them or in front of them.

It might make you feel better but remember they have lost and been betrayed by their mother,you have only lost a sub-standard wife. :D

The sun will shine again, you will get another job and in time you will find happiness.

Edd