Thai Drivers

taurusguy

What do you guys think about Thai driving? I've been driving around in the city for almost 6 months now and it is giving me clearer impression every day that Thai drivers are actually bad drivers.Not only that they are ridiculously slow, they are slow for no apparent reasons and causes unnecessary jams. Does Thai driving frustrates you???

What do you guys think about Thai driving? I've been driving around in the city for almost 6 months now and it is giving me clearer impression every day that Thai drivers are actually bad drivers.Not only that they are ridiculously slow, they are slow for no apparent reasons and causes unnecessary jams. Does Thai driving frustrates you???
i tried and failed miserably to get them to drive like me, now i drive like one of them ! much better,.if you cant beat em ,.........

To answer your question, I'd say YES!!! However, not all Thai drivers are bad, although I didn't see it that way for the first six months I drove here. :D

Driving in Thailand has its dangers/annoyances, but it must be put in perspective. Many places in the world are FAR worse. Places such as India, Africa, Mexico and the Middle East would make BKK drivers look like saints. It was a shock for me, as I'm from Florida, USA where driving isn't the greatest. I figured I was prepared for anything after nine years behind the wheel there; boy, was I wrong :o

That said, when I went back to Florida for a visit with my wife and son (after four years), it was SO easy to drive there and the wide, smooth roads were a real treat. Getting back to BKK wasn't a hassle...I guess once you've gotten used to driving in a particular area, it stays with you.

At least they are mostly courteous in traffic. If you need to make a turn or get out of a driveway, people will let you. In China they are real bad. You pretty much have to push as far as you can into the lane in order to turn. They will only let you turn when they have no choice except hitting your car. I have seen cars go around cars that are trying to pull out so much that they go into opposing traffic because they do not want to just stop for a second and let someone else go.

I also think many drive far to slow. Especially women drivers. Or when coming out of a side street and wanting to do a U-turn a bit down on a main 3 lane road, they wait until ALL LANES are free, then immediately cut to the outer lane for their up-coming U-turn.

That's just stupid, I wish there was another word for it.

If they had any sense at all, they'd just cut into the LEFT most lane as soon as it's relatively free of motorcycle riders, pick up speed, weave to the right, THEN u-turn.

Oh well.

What were you expecting from people who can simply buy their driving license on roads where there is no other rule than money bribing ?

My rule, eyes wide open and see all other drivers as potential danger. AND WEAR A HELMET.

There are some pretty awful drivers here, but you need to remember that most don't have a license, or those that do probably paid for it rather than having lessons.

Having said that, one of the main problems in the UK, and possibly in the West in general is aggressive drivers, or 'road rage'. In the 10s of thousands of kms I have driven here I have not come across one aggressive incident, I guess they are more tolerant of others as they know they are not very good themselves, plus the Buddhist thing. I actually find it more pleasurable driving here than the UK, I just wouldn't advise it if you are tired/ had a drink, because you really do need your wits about you.

hp8000, do I have to actually wear a helmet here while driving a car??? :o

It could help :D

It was intended to all of us who are riding motosai, and a lot are; and I see so many foreigners not wearing any protection.

If I can write these lines it's because in Europe, riding big bikes my life was saved 2 times by a helmet. So...

There is another word for it.

It is called "different".

If you search the Forums, you will already see lots of treads with this subject.

You will find that most posters actually have said that the Thais have a tendency to drive too fast. Not too slow.

And when most Thais want to make a u-turn. After they wait a while, they will start to slowly squeeze themself into the lanes.

Believe me, they do not sit around in the traffic and wait forever.

It could help :o

It was intended to all of us who are riding motosai, and a lot are; and I see so many foreigners not wearing any protection.

If I can write these lines it's because in Europe, riding big bikes my life was saved 2 times by a helmet. So...

Well hp, as far as I'm concerned, i think it's still more convenient to ride a bike than to drive a car in this country. The problem with me is that I don't ride bikes anymore, ever since a bike accident back in the States many years ago. That's why I'm driving now, and it frustrates me very much when I got stucked in all those unnecessary traffic.

Here in Issan taking a Sunday drive is a true adventure. In the past 3-4 years here I don't know how many accidents I have seen but it must be getting close to 50. There was one two weeks ago as we were driving to Ubon from Rasi. A nice new isuzu with a motorcycle hood ornament....claret everywhere.

Not too long ago an old guy dropped in a licence here at home for my father-in-law..... apparently it cost 150 Baht.

I visited Lin last week - a friend from my wifes old village. We normally get together for a beer or two on the holidays. This time he couldn't have a beer.... he had his right leg amputated after being forced off the road by a drunk driver the week before. He hit (at least his lower right leg hit) a steel pole as he left the road.

My "uncle" wants to swap his old vigo for the new ford ranger. "more power" he tells me, "Better when little maow".

Are they bad drivers, bad..... maybe "different" ....I suppose.

... Hold on, what WAS the road toll this new year?

Driving slow may be for fuel economy reasons. Thais do not seem too time conscience and so what if it takes them loner to get to their destination.

Lady driver yes they do drive slow. Unfamiliar with driving and timid. Afraid of getting into a fender bender with b/'s or hubbies wheels

Drivers may be too slow in BKK as there aren't that many opportunities to do otherwise. But up here in Isan... Jeez, they fly down the road. I read in the Bangkok Post that here in Khon Kaen province, we had the dubious honour of having the highest death toll over the holiday period for the second year running. I'm not exaggerating when I say that pretty-much every time I drive from Chonnabot into KK, we'll encounter the aftermath of an accident. Last one was on New Year's Eve; a D-Max wrapped around a tree. I don't think anyone got out of that one alive...

I would agree that the standard of driving is obviously lower than the West but by how much would the figures drop if helmets were worn and seatbelts used? I suspect quite considerably.

Driving slowly seems to be a S. E. Asian thing. I also noticed it a lot in Kuala Lumpur and now in Viet Nam. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it slowly.

As for Thai drivers, yes they can be infuriating but they also can be very forgiving (useful if we make a mistake) because they seem to anticipate the car in fromt of them to do something stupid.

I can't believe it took you 6 months to finally get a "clear impression" that Thai drivers are pretty bad.

I also dont know where you get the opinion or have experienced Thai drivers being "slow" either.

When I arrived into BKK the first night my friend picked me up; people were going through red lights, changing lanes without indicating, and speeding as if it was the end of the world. This seems common.

I could'nt stop complaining about their terrible driving until finally I gave in. haha.

In NZ I would drive at 55 k/hr (limit is usually 60, 80, or 100 depending), but I always drove under the limit just slightly, in case an officer tried to stop me for speeding. Imagine how I felt when we were driving 120 on the way back to Ang Thong for Songkran Festival.

I'm uncomfortable driving anything less than 90 k/hr now.

I'm proud to say I'm an experienced Thai driver now, and complain to anyone who does'nt drive like a Thai. I find my American friends drive too slow, my NZ friends drive naively, and my boyfriend (who is Thai) needs someone to teach him how to park.

The only thing I worry about now is how I'm gonna be driving when I return to NZ. Hold onto your wig Grandpa.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I can't believe it took you 6 months to finally get a "clear impression" that Thai drivers are pretty bad.

I also dont know where you get the opinion or have experienced Thai drivers being "slow" either.

When I arrived into BKK the first night my friend picked me up; people were going through red lights, changing lanes without indicating, and speeding as if it was the end of the world. This seems common.

I could'nt stop complaining about their terrible driving until finally I gave in. haha.

In NZ I would drive at 55 k/hr (limit is usually 60, 80, or 100 depending), but I always drove under the limit just slightly, in case an officer tried to stop me for speeding. Imagine how I felt when we were driving 120 on the way back to Ang Thong for Songkran Festival.

I'm uncomfortable driving anything less than 90 k/hr now.

I'm proud to say I'm an experienced Thai driver now, and complain to anyone who does'nt drive like a Thai. I find my American friends drive too slow, my NZ friends drive naively, and my boyfriend (who is Thai) needs someone to teach him how to park.

The only thing I worry about now is how I'm gonna be driving when I return to NZ. Hold onto your wig Grandpa.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

So, you do agree with me that Thai drivers are actually bad drivers, don't you? having to ask why I needed 6 months to figure it out.

At least they are mostly courteous in traffic. If you need to make a turn or get out of a driveway, people will let you. In China they are real bad. You pretty much have to push as far as you can into the lane in order to turn. They will only let you turn when they have no choice except hitting your car. I have seen cars go around cars that are trying to pull out so much that they go into opposing traffic because they do not want to just stop for a second and let someone else go.

:o:D

This one really made me laugh! And HK is China too.

There is another word for it. It is called "different".

Ah, ok, thanks for that. I suppose I could have said 'special' as well.

If you search the Forums, you will already see lots of treads with this subject. You will find that most posters actually have said that the Thais have a tendency to drive too fast. Not too slow.

Well guess what, I don't care about what "most posters" have said in the past.

I do however felt like contributing what I see around me every day; that was presumably what the poster intended. But hey, ride that search function if it makes you happier.

"So, you do agree with me that Thai drivers are actually bad drivers, don't you? having to ask why I needed 6 months to figure it out."

I agree with you all the way.

For me, I only needed to get to the first intersection out of Suvarnabhumi Airport to think it, but it was'nt until I got onto On Nut - Lat Krabang Road where a car driving entirely on the wrong side of the road (in my lane too) did I actually believe it!

I gotta love Thailand though :o

There is another word for it. It is called "different".

Ah, ok, thanks for that. I suppose I could have said 'special' as well.

If you search the Forums, you will already see lots of treads with this subject. You will find that most posters actually have said that the Thais have a tendency to drive too fast. Not too slow.

Well guess what, I don't care about what "most posters" have said in the past.

I do however felt like contributing what I see around me every day; that was presumably what the poster intended. But hey, ride that search function if it makes you happier.

Hebetudinous is another word for stupid if you want to use that one. Bit long tho.

I think the longer you are here the more used to driving in Thailand you become. Yesterday I drove about 5 hours around my area and it was far preferable to driving 5 hours around Los Angeles.

Completely agree with you. :o