Drivers Licence In Pattaya

Lost in LOS

105 baht for one year. When this expires you go back to get a 5 year license for 525 baht.

The new plastic 5 year licence is now 605 baht. Igot a new one 2 days ago.

the trouble with "color blindness" is that when driving in poor visibility (rain) or at night....traffic lights don't have the decency to show up on their own they are part of a maelstrom of blurred and flashing lights that confront the driver......with "normal" vision you act instinctively to these scenarios but if you are color blind it takes more time (fractions of a second) to sort the wheat from the chaff....you have to think about it.....this often means that it is too late to take the appropriate action.

Not true. In poor visability traffic lights look no different or more blurred to us that are colour blind than they do to anybody that is not colour blind. As I said in an earlier post we see the same colours that everybody else see's, we just see some colours at a different strengh to people that are not colour blind. Trafic lights are still red, amber and green to us as well.

• 2 weeks later...
No test required in Pattaya if you have an IDP except for the three small tests in the office which are, depth perception, reaction test and colour test all done in 2 mins.

You will need a medical certificate despite some reports to the contrary, these can be obtained from any doctors surgery for around 100baht, you will also need a certificate of residence (Jomtien Immigration 200baht) or a work permit. Dont forget some pics, two for each licence and copies of your passport, main page, visa page etc.

Take a pen and if you can someone thta speaks Thai, around mid afternoon it gets quiet early mornings are normally mahem! I think thats it.

Good informative stuff...where's the Licence Department in Pattaya/Jomtien?

105 baht for one year. When this expires you go back to get a 5 year license for 525 baht.

The new plastic 5 year licence is now 605 baht. Igot a new one 2 days ago.

the trouble with "color blindness" is that when driving in poor visibility (rain) or at night....traffic lights don't have the decency to show up on their own they are part of a maelstrom of blurred and flashing lights that confront the driver......with "normal" vision you act instinctively to these scenarios but if you are color blind it takes more time (fractions of a second) to sort the wheat from the chaff....you have to think about it.....this often means that it is too late to take the appropriate action.

Not true. In poor visability traffic lights look no different or more blurred to us that are colour blind than they do to anybody that is not colour blind. As I said in an earlier post we see the same colours that everybody else see's, we just see some colours at a different strengh to people that are not colour blind. Trafic lights are still red, amber and green to us as well.

I'm color blind and by the way that doesn't mean you can't see colors. I think you are confusing coplor blindness with cateracts.

Barry

The licence center is out on highway 36 just north of the Regents School, if approaching from Pattaya direction you have to go past and do a u turn, their is a sign a couple of hundred yeards down from the school.

I tried for both car and motorbike a couple of yrs ago with a IDP and a Qld Aust DL. Still had to go through the whole rig marole with 3 other farang. All had the correct paper work. Took nearly 4 hours. All of us where quite pissed off!! They failed me on my car but gave me a motorbike license which I didn't have in Oz. Why they failed me I don't know as I have been driving for 30 yrs and all I had to do was to drive around that ridiculas track at the back. I also got some serious infection from the plate that you put your nose on for the colour test. It took me a swag of medicine and a week to recover. I haven't gone back and I am reluctant to do so. Stuff em!!

Too many people complain about this. A year ago I went there to get 2 licenses (car and motorbike), and they made me do the bike test as I don't have a bike license in the UK. It's beyond me how anyone can fail this test, but I suppose the Austrailan gene pool is derived from our criminals, who if they were clever would not have been caught!!

I went on Weds for a renewal, done my research, and went with all the correct paperwork. Stamp, fee, license - bing bang bosh.

An English guy behind me in the queue was also applying for a renewal, and we got chatting. He had scant paperwork in his hand so I commented on this, to which he replied 'it's OK, my agent is sorting it out for me'. He had PAID a Thai man to come and help him renew his license. He had no copies of his passport, a medical cert than was over 1 month old and not acceptable, and a photo!!

The lady kindly explained to him in English to please go away and get your paperwork sorted, she then threw the photo at the 'agent', and according to my missus said something in Thai along the lines of 'What the fck are you giving me this for, you braindead <deleted>'.

Anyway, why am I telling you this you may ask. Simple, he will be another whining git in his local bar/ forum, telling everyone about how hard it is to get a license, and how unfair it is.

Common sense, a little research, politeness = licence.

Dumbass who can't be bothered = no license, and probably a big fee to the 'agent' who is probably slightly more dumb.

Too many people complain about this. A year ago I went there to get 2 licenses (car and motorbike), and they made me do the bike test as I don't have a bike license in the UK. It's beyond me how anyone can fail this test, but I suppose the Austrailan gene pool is derived from our criminals, who if they were clever would not have been caught!!

And some of us had smart parents who left their winging families & friends

to start a better life in sunny Qld Australia for the princely sum of ten pounds!!! :D:o

I went on Weds for a renewal, done my research, and went with all the correct paperwork. Stamp, fee, license - bing bang bosh.

An English guy behind me in the queue was also applying for a renewal, and we got chatting. He had scant paperwork in his hand so I commented on this, to which he replied 'it's OK, my agent is sorting it out for me'. He had PAID a Thai man to come and help him renew his license. He had no copies of his passport, a medical cert than was over 1 month old and not acceptable, and a photo!!

The lady kindly explained to him in English to please go away and get your paperwork sorted, she then threw the photo at the 'agent', and according to my missus said something in Thai along the lines of 'What the fck are you giving me this for, you braindead <deleted>'.

Anyway, why am I telling you this you may ask. Simple, he will be another whining git in his local bar/ forum, telling everyone about how hard it is to get a license, and how unfair it is.

Common sense, a little research, politeness = licence.

Dumbass who can't be bothered = no license, and probably a big fee to the 'agent' who is probably slightly more dumb.

Small update:

Where's the Licence Department in Pattaya/Jomtien?

It's this big white building (GoogleMaps)

The circular building on the right is The Regent school, easily seen from the main road. There is a U-Turn just after the school.

For Driving License you have to go upstairs, take a form on the left, and join the queue...

It took me about 1h30 to get my licence.

You will need a medical certificate despite some reports to the contrary, these can be obtained from any doctors surgery for around 100baht, you will also need a certificate of residence (Jomtien Immigration 200baht) or a work permit. Dont forget some pics, two for each licence and copies of your passport, main page, visa page etc.

You do not need pictures any more.

They have digital camera and the permit/license is now a nice credit-card format plastic card.

Some prices changes...

Motobike : 1 year = 5 + 50 + 100 tax = 155 baht; 5 years = 5 + 5x50 + 100 = 355 baht

Car : 1 year = 5 + 100 + 100 tax = 205 baht; 5 years = 5 + 5x100 + 100 = 605 baht

Pattaya46

Just to add my experience to the anectodal reports here:

In January, a friend and I (both US citizens with state-issued car drivers licenses, me with IDL and friend without) were both able to get the car license with only the color-blindness, reaction-time and depth perception tests.

We both got motosai licenses as well, but since neither of us had an overseas-issued motosai license, we then had to take the written (computer) 30-question test and drive around the course track on a bike. You review a digest of motor vehicle laws before you take the written test.

We had residency-verification letters from Jomtien Immigrations, health certs, and sufficient number of photos (this was just prior to introduction of the new licenses where they take the photo) and the process was not too stressful. We got there around 0830 and were out at 1330, with one hour taken for lunch break across the street. We just missed getting our moto-sai license before the staff left for lunch. Perhaps if my friend hadn't needed a re-take on the computer test and perhaps if I hadn't needed *two* retakes on the driving test*, we would have been out of there before noon?

*There is not a good explanation of the test track layout before you take the driving test. There is one place where there is a short, narrow, raised section where you must navigate the bike. That section is in the right-hand lane, and since I didn't know to look for it and was narrowly focused on the left-hand lane, I didn't see it. Finally, after the first two failed tests, my partner walked me across the lawn to show me where it was and what to do. Duh.

My experience getting my Thai license yesterday in Au Udom.

Painless, showed up with all documents ready at 7:30, they don't open until 8:30, which I knew but wanted a low Q number.

At about 10 past 8 the started handing out Q numbers I got #23.

Waited for a bit and my number was called, lady checked all my documents then asked me to wait.

Shortly after the examiner called me in the back. Color blindness, test, reaction, depth perception, and peripheral vision test. All no problem, went around front again and waited.

Was called up, paid 105 baht total and 10 minutes later received my new 1 year license. Total time 2.5 hours from arrival.

I will mention though I had a valid International license and my own house registry book, plus a letter from immigration certifying my address, which I was told I don't need because of the gold house registry book still better safe then sorry.

There machine was broken as well so I have the old style paper license that I had to get laminated for 20 baht instead of the new plastic card one.

Well that was my story all in all pretty easy

The licence center is out on highway 36 just north of the Regents School, if approaching from Pattaya direction you have to go past and do a u turn, their is a sign a couple of hundred yeards down from the school.

Thanks...much appreciated :o

• 1 month later...

i took this photo while driving to TESCO from our condo in JOMTIEN ....it may help you to get your driving liciense..I must say the owner of the driving school is either crazy or has not yet landed on this planet called PATTAYA...judgeing by the drving skills of most off the population I dont think he has had many pupils

post-10363-1211661868_thumb.jpg

Anyone who wants an official UN International Drivers License valid for 5 years in most countries pm me. A friend of mine had one of these and was involved in a fatal car accident (not his fault!) and used this license and got away with that as a license. They are identical to the ones issued by the UN..... if you get my drift.

If you are worried about the colour test it may be worthwhile taking a Thai speaker with you, and making a contribution to their benevolent fund. A few hundred baht can move mountains over here.

The op shouldnt be worried about the colour test...done it and I am red/green deficient...no hassle...

Even amused the tester by giving the colours in p*ss poor Thai...think it made their day, another ting tong Farang... :o

Very few people in the world are technically colour-blind, this implys seeing in black and white, most people are colour deficient, reg/green being most common amongst males....if there is an issue buy a pair of glasses with red tinted lens and do the test...

Anyone who wants an official UN International Drivers License valid for 5 years in most countries pm me. A friend of mine had one of these and was involved in a fatal car accident (not his fault!) and used this license and got away with that as a license. They are identical to the ones issued by the UN..... if you get my drift.

fake or real doesn't matter. thai law requires a thai driver's license when your stay in the country exceeds three months.

ive lost my british driving licence, is it still possible for me to apply for a thai driving licence, i live here and have aretirment visa and home ??

Have you lost it..lost it....or "lost it" courtsey of HM finest boys in blue ?

Either way you can get one...

If having a current valid licence...you can get one without being doing a physical driving test other than the small tests required...colour, perception etc...

If you dont have a license..then have to do the full monty...written test, physical tests- colour, percention etc and finally a practical driving test...

This last report was from the middle of last month,,,,,,,,,,,February 2008,,,,,,,,,,,,,today the 23rd March 2008 the PCEC had a Thai man give a small report about the "new" style Thai license,,,,,,,,picture is embedded into the license, the license is a credit card type of document,,,,,,,,he indicated that this was what is being used now,,,,,,,,,,the application and the license is done in English as well as Thai.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,my question?

Has anyone just recently applied for and received this new style license here in the Pattaya/Banglamung Land Transport office?

If so can you give the particulars as to cost and any changes to the documents needed to get the license?

The man this morning says that they still issue automobile and motorcycle separately,,,,,,,

So again has anyone had this new license issued here in Pattaya,,,,,,,,,,,,or even Rayong?

Thanks

I have the new smart card type, no need to provide any photos, all done in about 30 seconds, and yes, it's in thai and english.

Regards.

This last report was from the middle of last month,,,,,,,,,,,February 2008,,,,,,,,,,,,,today the 23rd March 2008 the PCEC had a Thai man give a small report about the "new" style Thai license,,,,,,,,picture is embedded into the license, the license is a credit card type of document,,,,,,,,he indicated that this was what is being used now,,,,,,,,,,the application and the license is done in English as well as Thai.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,my question?

Has anyone just recently applied for and received this new style license here in the Pattaya/Banglamung Land Transport office?

If so can you give the particulars as to cost and any changes to the documents needed to get the license?

The man this morning says that they still issue automobile and motorcycle separately,,,,,,,

So again has anyone had this new license issued here in Pattaya,,,,,,,,,,,,or even Rayong?

Thanks

I have the new smart card type, no need to provide any photos, all done in about 30 seconds, and yes, it's in thai and english.

Regards.

So what has happened to the half-dozen or so 'laminators' across the road from the Licence Office ?

ive lost my british driving licence, is it still possible for me to apply for a thai driving licence, i live here and have aretirment visa and home ??

Have you lost it..lost it....or "lost it" courtsey of HM finest boys in blue ?

Either way you can get one...

If having a current valid licence...you can get one without being doing a physical driving test other than the small tests required...colour, perception etc...

If you dont have a license..then have to do the full monty...written test, physical tests- colour, percention etc and finally a practical driving test...

no i realy lost it with my wallet ATM bla bla bla :o