Telesales In Thailand

I live in the UK, if I wanted to work from home I could, in fact I could live anywhere in the world and still earn 400bht per hour just by doing 'tele marketing'

why don't more ex-pats in Thailand do the same? You've kind of got a 'niche' if you speak 'English' as a first language considering the fact that a lot of companys that have to use telemarketing are looking for a cheaper solution.

On a larger scale would it be possible to employ 'westeners' to work from home? (other than the obvious 'waste' caused)

Well the boiler room guy's did it but from rented offices

There is another thread on here about a guy wanting to set up an outbound call centre for Norwegian speakers doing exactly what you speak of.

The difference between doing it at home and from an office is the telecomms equipment I suppose. Its been over 10 years since I worked at BSkyB's call centre but we had items like predictive diallers etc - this makes the calls mush more productive as you are not having operators dialling and details of who was calling only flashed up when the person called answered.

Doing it from home would man a lot of manual dialling would it not?

It will be a lot cheaper now with Skype etc - it might ber viable.

I dunno but there might be people doing it without a WP and just keeping quiet due to this - if you are going to do it illegally its best not to tell too many people about it.

I'm not seriously thinking about it, although it is food for thought.

The reason I say 'to work at home' is because I can find a larger employee target market. I reckon I could afford to pay staff a basic of about 20kbht and an OTE of 50K bht

would that make an ex-pat pick up the telephone for me? or do you think the job market will soon start to get bored of 'sales'?

I'm not seriously thinking about it, although it is food for thought.

The reason I say 'to work at home' is because I can find a larger employee target market. I reckon I could afford to pay staff a basic of about 20kbht and an OTE of 50K bht

would that make an ex-pat pick up the telephone for me? or do you think the job market will soon start to get bored of 'sales'?

I reckon that would make a certain type of expat pick up the telephone for you - no problem - put an advert in the Bangkok Post and you would be inundated.

If you go ahead though can I put my name on a list of expats not to call with great investment deals for me - I had two yesterday here in Singapore who obviously had no clue what they were talking about and I did enjoy playing with them for a while instead of my usual brusqe treatment of peol who call me cold at work. :o

don't worry I won't!! :o

on a more serious note! how much money would I need to set-up a thai ltd company whereby i could employ and sponsor 'expats'

the business itself needs very little investment, I'M sure I could find the employees and I know I can find the phone work for them, its one of those ideas I look into, and when I do I get struct with problems and give up, but in principle the idea works well...

don't worry I won't!! :D

on a more serious note! how much money would I need to set-up a thai ltd company whereby i could employ and sponsor 'expats'

the business itself needs very little investment, I'M sure I could find the employees and I know I can find the phone work for them, its one of those ideas I look into, and when I do I get struct with problems and give up, but in principle the idea works well...

Sunbelt who are a board sponsor will be able to give you set up costs and details.

I reckon they are cheaper even now than when I used a Thai lawyer to set up a thai company and my WP etc 9 years ago (and will be more efficient).

There a rules about 4 Thai's for every WP but I think that is based on extension of stay for 1 year or something - as I say someone will know better than I and I think there are less requirements if the do 3 month visa runs with a 1 year multiple entry - anyone??

Execution of an idea is where most of these things become a croper - sometimes you just have to drive through with your vision and not allow small obstacles side track you.

If it was me though i would not have them working from home but I would rent office space - it does not have to be in the CBD so you could get somewhere really cheap. This would be for m to keep an eye on the workers given some of the types you will have working for you.

Yes they could be at home and you could se targets etc but I am not that liberal a manager and my organisation design would be to have the lazy bastards where i can keep an eye on them :D:o

You are going to open up a large can of worms doing something like this.

Alone the 4 Thai people to one westerner plus the Thai salary and tax contributions etc etc.

So you have 10 westerners on phones so that's 40 Thais working for you plus the tax etc etc

Also you are reliant on the internet connection phone for eg skype, which is sporadicly bad and of course you ahve to pay for, to give a constant good performing line you would have to look into a ground line system, more costs. I can not see this working if the truth be known.

Infrastructure, red tape, technical issues, legal issues, costs, major costs mmmmmmmm.

I am sure that there are many many many smarter people out there than me and if this was a viable business proposition it would have been done and out there running already.

You are going to open up a large can of worms doing something like this.

Alone the 4 Thai people to one westerner plus the Thai salary and tax contributions etc etc.

So you have 10 westerners on phones so that's 40 Thais working for you plus the tax etc etc

Also you are reliant on the internet connection phone for eg skype, which is sporadicly bad and of course you ahve to pay for, to give a constant good performing line you would have to look into a ground line system, more costs. I can not see this working if the truth be known.

Infrastructure, red tape, technical issues, legal issues, costs, major costs mmmmmmmm.

I am sure that there are many many many smarter people out there than me and if this was a viable business proposition it would have been done and out there running already.

You don't need 4 Thais per foreigner to get a work permit. This is not a requirement for a BOI or non BOI company. It’s only a requirement for a foreigner that is working for a non BOI company and that employee is applying for an extension of stay permit based on business with Immigration.

If you are with a non BOI company and your employee gets a non immigrant visa with a Thai Embassy/Consulate then you can easily have many foreign employees with work permits and you do not need to have Thai employees. Also if the foreigner has an extension of stay permit based on marriage, no Thai employees are required.

With a BOI company, the BOI may like to see some Thai employees but this is case by case and it won't be 4 Thai to 1 foreigner ratio, it's more like 4 foreigners to every Thai. With a BOI company, the foreign employees would qualify for the extension of stay permit based on business. It's 7.22 of the BOI code.

You cannot operate from your home with this business. You must have work stations.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• 2 months later...
thats really interesting, I think I will look into this a litle further :o

Macleod,

Your idea is good. I am here in Thailand now, starting the first steps to set up a call center. I plan to hire excellent English-speaking thais. They will work hard and appreciate the opportunity much more than expats. Expats are prohibitively expensive to hire legally. To get each one a work permit will require many thousands of US dollars. And then they might quit. Send me an email if you want to chat further -

[email protected]

thats really interesting, I think I will look into this a litle further :o

Macleod,

Your idea is good. I am here in Thailand now, starting the first steps to set up a call center. I plan to hire excellent English-speaking thais. They will work hard and appreciate the opportunity much more than expats. Expats are prohibitively expensive to hire legally. To get each one a work permit will require many thousands of US dollars. And then they might quit. Send me an email if you want to chat further -

[email protected]

hey alex,

do share your experiences over the next few months with us,as im interested to see how it goes for you.

having setup similar operations here in thailand myself ,i like to see how others handle the same situation.

PM me if you need some extra advice.

Cheers