Musicals

LeungKen

I feel sure that there are many T.V. members out there with many an anecdote about their time "on the boards", maybe as one of the animals gazing lovingly at the manger, or as one of "three little maids" perhaps. Why not share it with us, failing that please feel free to list your favourite musical, or or one that figures prominently in your memory.

Miss Saigon - seen it at least 8 times and still often play the soundtrack.

First time I saw it in London I was with colleagues visiting from the USA. The curtain went up on one of the acts where Kim had moved to be a bar girl in Bangkok. The set had been based on Patpong.

I said "Bloody hel_l" to myself but a colleague heard. She turned to me and said, "I take it you know the place" and laughed.

Edited by Prakanong

Did they have the Helicopter on stage? It's supposed to be amazing. I haven't seen it yet but i definately will.

One of my favorites to go and watch, has got to be Les Mis. "Bring him home" still brings a tear to my eye.

One of my favourites that i have actually been in, is "South Pacific". Not neccessarily because it's a great show but because of the laugh we all had in the cast and the after show parties that went with it. I was "Stewpot" BTW

...and for me "Miss Saigon" brings back memories of having to rig the bloody set in

His Majesty's Theatre Perth, which with a proscinium arch width of just on 10 metres, was a tight squeeze.

Stage crew get my upmost respect Ken. Some of the scene changes in some shows are riduculous. Guys and Dolls i remember being quite complex, especially changing to the sewer scene.

Did they have the Helicopter on stage? It's supposed to be amazing. I haven't seen it yet but i definately will.

One of my favorites to go and watch, has got to be Les Mis. "Bring him home" still brings a tear to my eye.

One of my favourites that i have actually been in, is "South Pacific". Not neccessarily because it's a great show but because of the laugh we all had in the cast and the after show parties that went with it. I was "Stewpot" BTW

Yeah they had the helicopter - I saw it each time at the same place - Theatre royal Drury Lane. I saw 42nd Street there as a student when I think Catherine zeeta Jones was in it.

I love Miss Saigon - its Madam Butterfly set in the Vietnam War. The soundtrack is brilliant and when I had the daft idea to open a bar in thailand it was going to be called "Dreamland" just like in Miss Saigon ;-)

I like Les Miss too but only seen it twice, fave track is "On my own" - I think I will listen to the soundtrack on my iPod on the way to classes tonight.

I saw South Pacific in London in the 80's while a student too. I keep meaning to have a weekend on Tioman Island which was used as Bali Hi in the 1958 movie - i can get the bus from outside my place to Johor then on up for the ferry

...and for me "Miss Saigon" brings back memories of having to rig the bloody set in

His Majesty's Theatre Perth, which with a proscinium arch width of just on 10 metres, was a tight squeeze.

Was the helicopter too big :o

Talking of things too big..........in 1985 I came with the Australian Dance Theatre to Bangkok, and we performed at the Bangkok Bank (On the 30th Floor I think it was, there is a theatre) Now everything on that tour had all been carefully measured so that it would fit into the service lift there (which from memory was about 3 metres long.) Unfortunately this was the only venue on tour which didn't have tail-battens (6m long water pipe or similar which when screwed together fit into the bottom pocket of a cyclorama or backcloth thereby keeping it taut) I shall never forget the theatre stage crew passing up bundles of water-pipe from floor to floor via the fire escape stairwell laughingly helping us out. Mind you The Kings son was due for opening night.

Therein lies another tale or 2 which I should save for a later date, ah happy days.