Isaan, Khon Kaen, Not Worth To Visit...

SamuiRep

Have visited Khon Kaen for a couple of days, but after 2 years in thailand, this City is really not worth to Visit, if you are under 35 years of age.

the people are not very friendly, the surroundings aren't nice, not much to do in the city, except sitting in a Bar & drink.

I was in nearly all City's in Thailand, but Khon Kaen, I will not visit again.

Other people are saying, Khon Kaen would be nearly 50 cheaper than BKK or another City in TH, but thats not true. The prices are same like Bangkok.

Isaan is maybe something for people more than 50 years of age, thats what I have seen there, to many older Farangs. So, I understand, why the Locals do not like the Farangs here that much.

I prefer, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, even in Phuket or in Samui are the People more friendly.

everybody has his own Idea about this Part of Thailand, but I was expecting much more from here.

Sad but true...

excuse for my bad english, it isn't my first or second Language, it is the third ones...

Have visited Khon Kaen for a couple of days, but after 2 years in thailand, this City is really not worth to Visit, if you are under 35 years of age.

the people are not very friendly, the surroundings aren't nice, not much to do in the city, except sitting in a Bar & drink.

I was in nearly all City's in Thailand, but Khon Kaen, I will not visit again.

Other people are saying, Khon Kaen would be nearly 50 cheaper than BKK or another City in TH, but thats not true. The prices are same like Bangkok.

Isaan is maybe something for people more than 50 years of age, thats what I have seen there, to many older Farangs. So, I understand, why the Locals do not like the Farangs here that much.

I prefer, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, even in Phuket or in Samui are the People more friendly.

everybody has his own Idea about this Part of Thailand, but I was expecting much more from here.

Sad but true...

excuse for my bad english, it isn't my first or second Language, it is the third ones...

I agree with this post. Nothing in KK or Udon Thani for that matter. Move along, nothing to see there; Chiang Mai or Pattaya is where it's at.

the people are not very friendly,

I prefer, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, even in Phuket or in Samui are the People more friendly. :o

I lived in Samui for 4 years and now live in Khon Kaen and I could not disagree with you more.

Lite Beer, I think you misspelled something.....you really mean agree don't you? Think about it. :D

It all depends on the person............................if you are a stable family man with lots of friends in the area,love peace and quiet, wonderful local people, and not many Farangs, then Isaan is wonderful. But if you are a young roustabout, who wants a different girl every night of the week,(although I don't do so bad here) loves crowds of vomiting,swearing young thugs,fights, violence and an atmosphere much like Blackpool or Margate, I would tnd to agree with the OP. Isaan is a place to settle down when you have done everything already.

the people are not very friendly,

I prefer, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, even in Phuket or in Samui are the People more friendly. :o

I lived in Samui for 4 years and now live in Khon Kaen and I could not disagree with you more.

Lite Beer, I think you misspelled something.....you really mean agree don't you? Think about it. :D

I don,t think so.

The people up here are genuinely helpful and friendly unlike the money grabbing 2 faced lot in Samui.

(I,m still thinking Blue, maybe Ive been in Thailand too long ) :D

Edited by Lite Beer

It is indeed different strokes for different folks. That said, there is no ideal place for any two different people. Circumstances also differ. I live out in the boonies and I am content and very happy with my Thai wife. If not for my wife, would I live here? That answer is no. Many people rave about Chiang Mai. I'd rather live in Bangkok. I could live in Chiang Rai but NEVER Chiang Mai. I could also live in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen. I think Udon Thani has more going for it than Khon Kaen. If my marriage would ever go pear shaped I would no doubt return to Jomtien. Pattaya is too hectic and crowded to suit me. I did live in Bangkok for about seven years when I was single but only stayed there because of work. I was happy to get out of the city.

Yes KK is awful, really crap, don't come back, stay in Pattaya or Samui, MUCH MUCH better, just remember, Khon Kaen is really bad, really boring & you never want to go there again. Don't forget to tell everyone you meet too ok na? :o:D

Yeah; when you get past Loei, turn right and keep going, or if heading south please could the last one blow up the Sarasin Bridge!! LOVEDABLUES, I'm on your wave length. BTW, if we're lucky Yossarian will chime in soon !!!!

Having my locations dictated to me due to the nature of my (ex) work I lived in

many of the worlds backwaters. Not much oil, gas or gold in the suburbs.

Now that I can choose where to live I certainly would not choose the boonies of Thailand.

I suspect that many who live in the provinces do so as the location was chosen by their

wives rather than themselves.

Naka.

Now that I can choose where to live I certainly would not choose the boonies of Thailand.

I suspect that many who live in the provinces do so as the location was chosen by their

Naka.

Fair comment Naka :o

I'm one of those types you talk about, but along with the same sentiments expressed by Gary A and BFG(Farang Conn), I am very happy with my lot.

Would it suit anyone else? I dont give a flying <deleted>. :D:D

Dave

:D

Recently I went drinking in Khon Kaen for a couple of nights for the first time in about 3 years. An awful lot had changed and I found myself unable to find places where I (thought I) had spent time in the past. The Farang bars near the Sofitel and CP were not so different. However almost the whole Night Plaza area near the KK Hotel had closed. There were just a few karaoke bars left, with the old soi area now awaiting demolition. Does anybody know if the old bars from this area have relocated elsewhere? In response to the OP, I did notice a few naughty bars (I use the term 'bar' advisedly as one young lady described the establishment as a 'music bar') that wouldn't have been out of place on Soi Yodsak only a short walk from the Sofitel.

Edited by citizen33

I've made several driving trips through out Isaan. Staying overnight in KK and yes, even several days in Yasothin. I loved it! Friendly hospitable, real Thai people. Have never been ripped-off, scamed or otherwise abused. Can you say he same for the more touristy places in LOS.

Naka.

Mutally perhaps? Cost of housing is much better value than many other places.

Personally, I prefer Thailand to Pattaya and the like.

Naka.

And you live where exactly, after this wordly wise experience? :o

It all depends on the person............................if you are a stable family man with lots of friends in the area,love peace and quiet, wonderful local people, and not many Farangs, then Isaan is wonderful. But if you are a young roustabout, who wants a different girl every night of the week,(although I don't do so bad here) loves crowds of vomiting,swearing young thugs,fights, violence and an atmosphere much like Blackpool or Margate, I would tnd to agree with the OP. Isaan is a place to settle down when you have done everything already.

Hit the nail on the head with that,  maybe something to do with the lack of beer bars and Falangs. Isaan is not only for the older guys there are a few youngsters up here too. I would still stay here if it all goes pear-shaped with the wife and kids.

My location was indeed dictated by my wife. I have a condo in Jomtien. My wife had some property and a house about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. It took her four months to talk me into even having a look. I have seen many up country houses. :o Imagine my surprise when the house turned out to be a western style two bedroom block house built on a slab, tile roof and all. The second day there we went a bought a mattress. Her mattress was like sleeping on a rock. I lasted four or five days then we returned to Jomtien. The second time up I wanted a hot water shower. Eventually that required the house to be re-wired and a water pump installed. It took me several days to do that. I am pretty handy. The third time up, the bathroom floor had the fall going the wrong way. Water collected in front of the door. I had her hire a guy to tear out the squatter toilet, put in a farang toilet and re-tile the floor so the water could run out the drain. We stayed a couple of weeks. By that time I had decided that maybe the scenic area was pretty nice after all. The fourth trip I had screens put on the windows. We stayed maybe three weeks. Back in Jomtien we made plans to move up and give it a try. My condo sat empty for over a year until I was sure I could live up country. Since then I have put a two meter high block wall around the entire two rai and had an eight by eight meter garage and workshop built. I am (hopefully) here to stay. I am more content than ever before in my life. Life up country suits me just fine.

SamuiRep,

Tell us where you went,what you did during your 48hrs in KK.

Prices the same as bankok!!!! What did you buy?

Please tell us what you expected. jeeeeez

You dont need to search for my mistakes,

i was in Khon Kaen 4 nights/5 days get totally bored & not 48 hours or did I mention, that I was only 2 days there ? no, I did NOT.

Price is not only the Same as Bangkok, was even more expensive than Samui & Bangkok :

1. I looked up to buy a PC for my Girlfriend, but in Bangkok are these cheaper

2. I went out to have a Dinner at one of these mongolian BBQ's, ( where you have the BBQ Grill on the Table) & there was a huge sign, 1 Person 189 Baht (!) 2 and more Person 99 Baht each (!) Even in Samui have much bigger sortiment and cost only 89 BAHT, even if somebody goes alone...

I think, this is enough to explain about "cheaper than BKK or somewhere else"

The People, specially men does not like Farangs over there. There was not 1 Man smiling, when he was looking to a Farang (or to me), but in Samui, Chaing Rai & Mai, Krabi, Phuket or even Pattaya the men are smiling. Why ? are they so unhappy there? comon...

In their eyes, we are the poeple, which make bad influence to their daughters ( do we ?)

anyway, of course are People there & they likes this Place, but its really not worth to visit Khon Kaen in interest of Tourism, or to find a nice Isaan Girl (the Girls in BKK are still No.1 !!!)

By the way, even Samui offers much more for the money, than KK, even the accommodations are cheaper !

But, at the other side, I am happy, I was in KK, now i know, where i will FOR SURE NOT LIVE...