Health Cover In Uk

Nakrob

I'm currently in the process of making the necessary arrangements for my thai gf to apply for her fiancee visa to move to the UK with me. Shes got all the paperwork now, money in her account, evidence or our relationship etc, just has to get time to get to Bangkok and lodge the application now.

We've been planning to set up in London and one thing has been bugging me, however, and what health cover exisits for her in the UK if shes there on a finacee visa? We're not planning on getting married until at least 6 months in the UK (extent of the visa) so for that time she'll be living with me as my finacee. What is the situation in the UK with regards to health care for someone in her situation? Do we need to arrange some insurance or private cover? If so, is that better done for her in Thailand or once we're in the UK?

I've been out of the UK for 5 years now but know that I'm obviously able to see a GP and get medical attention on the NHS if I'm ill or in an accident. I'm worried that if anything happens to my gf in the UK we'll have a problem. Any comments appreciated.

I'm currently in the process of making the necessary arrangements for my thai gf to apply for her fiancee visa to move to the UK with me. Shes got all the paperwork now, money in her account, evidence or our relationship etc, just has to get time to get to Bangkok and lodge the application now.

We've been planning to set up in London and one thing has been bugging me, however, and what health cover exisits for her in the UK if shes there on a finacee visa? We're not planning on getting married until at least 6 months in the UK (extent of the visa) so for that time she'll be living with me as my finacee. What is the situation in the UK with regards to health care for someone in her situation? Do we need to arrange some insurance or private cover? If so, is that better done for her in Thailand or once we're in the UK?

I've been out of the UK for 5 years now but know that I'm obviously able to see a GP and get medical attention on the NHS if I'm ill or in an accident. I'm worried that if anything happens to my gf in the UK we'll have a problem. Any comments appreciated.

can't give you a definitive answer but i wouldn't worry too much...

just take her down to the GP's surgery & register both of you at the same time... i don't think they will make a fuss as long as she has a valid fiance visa in her passport... i don't ever reckon they will ask to see it... as long as you have an address within their catchment area then no worries...

if in doublt clarify the matter with the brit. embassy when you make the visa app.

Actually, don't take it for granted that you (as a British citizen), can go and see a GP for free! If you do not have a permanent UK address within their catchment area, then they do not have to see you (my understanding of the rules). And I'm sure the situation is even worst if you are an expat who has been living abroad for a couple of years, (seem to remember a thread on this somewhere...)