Chiang Mai Imo Is The Best Place In Asia.

damian5000

Ok... I haven't been everywhere... And maybe it's just because I'm used to it now, but I think Chiang Mai is one of the best places to live in Asia, if not the world.

Just took a month "vacation" to Laos, Vietnam, and now in China. Was in Cambodia for a couple weeks last year also. It was nice to see a bit more of Asia, but the culture in Chiang Mai , along with the easy access to most modern things (internet/shopping malls/discos) combined with quiet little side streets with hole in the wall restaurants, the Sunday night market, great buffets all over town, cheap as dirt transportation with the red taxis. Add Doi Suthep mountain, a splattering of beer bars, go-gos and brothels, and cheap as dirt rent, and great cheap food has got to be putting Chiang Mai at the top anyone's list.

Ok... I haven't been everywhere... And maybe it's just because I'm used to it now, but I think Chiang Mai is one of the best places to live in Asia, if not the world.

Just took a month "vacation" to Laos, Vietnam, and now in China. Was in Cambodia for a couple weeks last year also. It was nice to see a bit more of Asia, but the culture in Chiang Mai , along with the easy access to most modern things (internet/shopping malls/discos) combined with quiet little side streets with hole in the wall restaurants, the Sunday night market, great buffets all over town, cheap as dirt transportation with the red taxis. Add Doi Suthep mountain, a splattering of beer bars, go-gos and brothels, and cheap as dirt rent, and great cheap food has got to be putting Chiang Mai at the top anyone's list.

What a pleasant new thread!

I'm also with you 99% and would add the ease of regional travel by air and land; the very short distance (at present) between city centre and the mountains (making rural escape so easy) and the Thai smile which, in most places, is still alive and well. In sharp contrast to Bangkok and the two P's.

I have just one reservation re rents. 'Yes' for residential accomm if you shop around, 'no' for small business premises. High rents help to kill a LOT of small enterprises in the city. Too many greedy landlords who, of course, do nothing to maintain or enhance their buildings. That is always left to the tenants!

I would hang my hat on this statement. Came here to study, I ended up loving it. Now I am learning the language more and more, I continue to study the culture. I met my wonderful wife, made life long friends and found a profession which makes me happy everyday I wake up. Chiang Mai and Thailand in general has been very good to me.

On my first visit to Asia, I had to see Chiang Mai for myself. In less than ten days, decided to move here from the other side of the planet. Moved to Hua Hin once, but came back a year later. Thought about Mexico and Filllypeens, but I can't see that they're nearly as good as Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai.

On my first visit to Asia, I had to see Chiang Mai for myself. In less than ten days, decided to move here from the other side of the planet. Moved to Hua Hin once, but came back a year later. Thought about Mexico and Filllypeens, but I can't see that they're nearly as good as Amphur Muang, Chiang Mai.

Nothing wrong with Amphur Hang Dong, either :o

/ Priceless

Funny, I've never been crazy about it. I like it because it is part of Thailand and now I have a bunch of friends and a business, but a beautiful beach has a lot more allure.

I don't have any interest in moving though. :D

Perhaps expand Gekko's into Patters mate??? :o