Hsbc Premier Just Told Me About New Banking Regulation

I was talking to HSBC about opening a Premier Account in Thailand and they told me today that in the last couple of days they've received new instructions that if you open a non-resident account it will NEVER be possible to change that to a resident account due to changes in the central banking regulations. Apparantly you go on to a central database and its never possible to change to get a resident bank account.

The difference between a resident and non resident is that a non-resident you only get a cash card and that's it. No check book, no credit card, no debit card and no credit facilities or mortgage possible.

Anybody else heard about this change in regulations?

what happens if you open a resident account first, then open a non resident account?

i have both types of account, from what the bank is telling you, you cant go from non resident to resident account, understood, but they havent said you cant open a seperate resident account, with different account numbers, or go from resident to non resident

another thought, assuming you are married, have one account in your name only, and the other type of account in joint names.

yet another example of amazing thailandrolleyes.gif

I guess it would make sense if it is true. It would distinguish between those who are full-time residents of Thailand and those who are not. It's extremely hard to get any kind of credit facilities within Thailand if you're not here full time right now (and can prove it), so if it opens up those sorts of facilities to non-Thai residents of Thailand then it's got to be a good thing.