American Made Cars

IamMaiC

i'm pretty much into chevy and pontiac and wondering if they have these brand's muscle cars?? like the chevy camaro or the corvette or the one i like the most pontiac firebird even if "used" able to get in thailand?? and if i was able to get one is it street legal?? or do i have to change it since they do drive opposite then they do in the states thanks for all replies

Maybe in Bangkok??? Never seen them myself but then, I live on an island where people just started getting cars last year (bad roads) and pickups about 17 years ago. Personally, the roads in Thailand are generally too awful for a sportscar (it could only travel major highways and even then...) and the gas too expensive for a muscle car.

last time i was in thailand i saw an ad for a chevy camaro but it wasn't the muscle version i wouldn't drive it as an everday car just something for the weekends to relax. but i was wondering would it have to be changed?? the steering wheel is opposite of thai vehicles on american vehicles

Most of the American branded cars and trucks I have seen in Thailand (they have chevy trucks now, but not the big gas guzzling full size ones) are made in Thailand and have the steering wheel on the other side already.

gas too expensive for a muscle car in thailand?  You should try runnin one in the UK
Sorry, pampered American here :o

You will not find many American cars here as import duties are way too high compared to local assembly types. The few that you will find are mostly used for share taxi use in the South. You will sometimes find a 20-30 year old for sale in Bangkok for those that want something different. Most are used diplomatic cars that have been in Thailand long enough to be sold without tax payment rather than new imports.

I will disagree with SBK about road conditions in Thailand (but understand she mostly sees ruts in the islands). Most mainland roads are in quite good shape - it's the drivers you have to worry about.

And to disagree with another poster - gas is not at all expensive here compared to Europe or the USA.

LHD in the cities is great as you can sneak down the breakdown lane - not so good on two lane roads when you need to pass however.

Nothing beats a 350 small block with the pedal down on the open road. Those were the days! The nicest car I've seen in Thailand was a 68 Chevy Impala that I saw lurching in Sukhumvit traffic. It was totally cherry, but it looked like it was in pain sitting in traffic. These cars are made for big, open highways.

You'll see the occasional Camaro or Mustang in the used car lots along Ratchaphisek. Wattana Autos on Phetburi Rd. regularly (as in 3-4 of each per year) imports a few muscle cars in as well. Expect to pay a 'bit' more than stateside though, last time I checked on the price of a Vette I saw in the window, it was 5.6 million ($140,000).

I'd much rather have them import a left side steering wheel model, it'd be just as street legal as long as you get it registered and pay the yearly tax.

:o

Seen a few examples of Detroit iron running around Bkk , but assume they are personal imports or lhd. In my neighbourhood see a really nice late 1970's Chevy Caprice in mint (sounds like a 350 under the bonnet) and seen a few Pariseines , Bel Air's ect.But no real pony cars . I think Thais are more into your turbocharged Japanese 4 or 6, hence all the WRX's, Lancers ect.

Love to see a classic hemi ( plymouth Cuda , Dodge Charger ) on the road here as it would turn a few heads :o

BTW , if u can't find a good work of Detroit iron, get your hands on an old Holden(Australian GM). Plenty of them here and a 350 block will fit in no problems :o

If you're thinking of getting a new car - importing from Australia would be a lot cheaper than from the US. (due to a Free Trade Agreement)

AND the steering wheel would be on the right side.

Chevy Corvette 1980

good, original condition, automatic, V8 engine (350 cubic inches /5.7 liter) real leather interior, all electric, alloy wheels, double exhaust pipes (deep V8 sound), original glass T- roof (detachable) Bose Sound, powerful and excellent Show car! color black,

Price: 799,000 Baht

If you want to pay this price for a 25 year old car you're a wacko :o

I'm a patriotic apple pie-eating, John Wayne-loving Yank but I wouldn't buy an American car again after very good luck with Nissan & Toyota. Forget gapping those points and all the hassle involved with muscle cars - had a GTO back in '65 and it was fun but maintaining one today...forget it!

You will not find many American cars here as import duties are way too high compared to local assembly types. The few that you will find are mostly used for share taxi use in the South.

That is true. Couldn't believe it when I saw in the taxi queue in Songkhla a near exact replica of my first car: a 65 Bel Air!! Not exactly your muscle car but did bring back a few memories. Thought it would never make it to Hat Yai but it did.

If you go down Udom-Suk (Suk 103) to he end, go over the new fly over across Sri-Nakarin and continue down another kilo or 2 on the left hand side there's an American used car lot with all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, from ex-mobster Lincolns to 'Vettes, and Cameros.

Chevy Corvette 1980

good, original condition, automatic, V8 engine (350 cubic inches /5.7 liter) real leather interior, all electric, alloy wheels, double exhaust pipes (deep V8 sound), original glass T- roof (detachable) Bose Sound, powerful and excellent Show car! color black,

If you want to pay this price for a 25 year old car you're a wacko :o

people in the states pay outrageous prices for cars espacially older ones so i don't seem surprise at that price

Chevy Corvette 1980

If you want to pay this price for a 25 year old car you're a wacko  :o

people in the states pay outrageous prices for cars espacially older ones so i don't seem surprise at that price

$20,000 for a cherry 1980 Corvette sounds good to me! :D

Maybe you Brits were thinking it (American Corvette) was like one your crappy Corvettes (ships) made during WW2... It isn't :D

Chevy Corvette 1980

If you want to pay this price for a 25 year old car you're a wacko  :o

Maybe you Brits were thinking it (American Corvette) was like one your crappy Corvettes (ships) made during WW2... It isn't :D

New Corvettes are over 50,000 dollars now closer to 60 considering how fast you can go and the pleasure of driving one it's cheaper than a lamborghini or a ferrari

Chevy Corvette 1980

If you want to pay this price for a 25 year old car you're a wacko  :D

For 800.000 bath i buy my self a brand new 4x4 top of the line pickup in any brand.

Beats a rusty old corvette any day on thailands roads.

:o

I like your Idea of buying a 4x4 top of the line pickup for the Thai roads. Makes

much more sense then a Corvette. The person who would buy this corvette I am sure

would not use it as their main car but as a so called Sunday car.

I work for Porsche Cars North America, and even though the "new" Corvette is nice for the money

I would rather pay $20K more or B800K for a 997 Porsche coupe, but this is me.

Corvettes, nice cars , but always thought a bit flash , like a Porshe(a third car for dad to drive on Sundays)Call me sentimental but ' muscle and pony cars' lost thier name when fuel injection became standard . Nothing sounds sweeter than a big block rear wheel drive with a 4 barrel Carby and 9 inch diff and lots of chrome .

BTW, anyone know the origin of the term ' pony' ? i always thought because a girl wants a pony, a guy wants a car, or a reference to the horses under the hood

Corvettes, nice  cars , but always thought a  bit flash , like a  Porshe(a  third car for  dad  to drive  on Sundays)Call me  sentimental but ' muscle and  pony cars' lost thier  name when fuel injection  became  standard . Nothing  sounds  sweeter  than a big  block rear  wheel drive with a  4 barrel  Carby and  9 inch diff and  lots of chrome .

BTW, anyone  know the  origin of the  term ' pony' ? i always thought because a  girl wants  a  pony, a  guy wants a  car, or a reference to the  horses  under the hood

The term "Pony" car was coined after the Ford Mustang.

I sure don't miss those days you had to gap those points tho...

Chevy Corvette 1980

good, original condition, automatic, V8 engine (350 cubic inches /5.7 liter)

You would need a mortgage to pay the gas bill these days.

Who wants these gas guzzlers?

Chevy Corvette 1980

good, original condition, automatic, V8 engine (350 cubic inches /5.7 liter)

You would need a mortgage to pay the gas bill these days.

Who wants these gas guzzlers?

I guess you never been to the states astral gas guzzling monsters everywhere big trucks SUV's dosen't surprise me one day i see tanks driving around. :o

My asking this question about a muscle car i just wated to know if any were in Thailand. and it would just be a car i use on a day off relaxing just go for a nice long ride.