Problem With A Resort In Bantai, Ko Pha Ngan

4 days ago, a couple with a child asks to us if we know an available room in a hotel.

We drove them into a place which we know well but the following day, the couple informs us that during their absence something has been stolen in their room.

The door was closed with a padlock and only the person who does the housework entered during their absence.

They spoke with the owner about this disappeared but the owner didn't appreciate and after that she asks the couple to leave her resort.

The following day, the owner called me at my office for threatening me to do something with her friends and also with the local police, if we inform the tourist police and the T.A.T. or if we create any problems to her.

What do you think about that ? :o

4 days ago, a couple with a child asks to us if we know an available room in a hotel.

We drove them into a place which we know well but the following day, the couple informs us that during their absence something has been stolen in their room.

The door was closed with a padlock and only the person who does the housework entered during their absence.

They spoke with the owner about this disappeared but the owner didn't appreciate and after that she asks the couple to leave her resort.

The following day, the owner called me at my office for threatening me to do something with her friends and also with the local police, if we inform the tourist police and the T.A.T. or if we create any problems to her.

You have already created more awareness than if you would have informed TAT or tourist police..... :D

Just not send any more guests in the future......

Curious as to what was stolen? Was it valuable, or alot of cash?

I am also curious as to whether or not there is a sign in the room as to the resort not being responsible for things left in the room? Most places do put a sign like that in the room and if there were such a sign then your friends wouldn't have a leg to stand on with the police.

I am also curious as to whether or not there is a sign in the room as to the resort not being responsible for things left in the room? Most places do put a sign like that in the room and if there were such a sign then your friends wouldn't have a leg to stand on with the police.

It wasn't my friends, they was just a customers and there are no signs in their room same as the most place in KPN. Anyway !

The problem is not here. Each day people are victims the robbery and i just want to know what are you thinking about the best thing to do.

Must i inform the tourist police and The T.A.T ? or not? :o

AFAIK there are no tourist police on Koh Phangan. Certainly these people can inform the police, and get a police report which, if they have insurance, will allow them to be reimbursed by the company. But, if they are going to accuse the owner or the cleaning lady of being in on the theft then they'd better have proof.

I agree. It would be nice if you could maybe warn the rest of us as to which resort this is (anonymously maybe?). There are loads of really nice places and decent people on KPY. I, as I'm sure the rest of us would, prefer the proceeds of a stay to be going to people who put the effort in to taking care of their guests.

With or without such a sign, hotels are not legally responsible for thefts from guests' rooms unless they were somehow involved with the theft or they can be proven to been grossly negligent. In practical terms, unless the police arrest someone who works for the hotel you don't stand too much chance of getting a hotel to take responsibility for a theft.

Steve are you at liberty to say at which resort this ocurred and so do a service to those who are thinking of going there or already booked. I have family on the island at present but can understand if you are unsure you would not care to name the place

I must be careful because Ko Pha Ngan is not Samui and this island is more dangerous than you are thinking.

I'll tell you by private email :o

We should all take care to secure our valuables when travelling.

Perhaps using a hotel safe, or a securely locked suitcase,

or carrying them on our person.

Hotel cleaners are usually poor and it is unfair, and stupid, to leave

temptation in their way.

Unless they reported the theft to the police & it was proven to be the cleaner or other staff then it isn't really fair to the resort to post their name here. But putting in a complaint to the TAT is a good idea too.

Personally I never bring anything that can't be carried on my person everywhere I go. And I make sure all items of value are insured. It is a sensible precaution for any traveller/holidaymaker. It's another reason why I bring atm cards to withdraw money as & when I need it & occasionally travellers cheques for larger amounts as they are insurable, easy to carry on myself & replacable in worst case.

Here's the other side to this story from the resort owner (her thoughts, my words):

"On Tuesday 8th January French Steve arrived at our resort with some friends, a couple from France with their son. They said they were looking to stay long-term, so I offered them a generous discount on one of our 1-bedroom houses (fully furnished, air-con, hot bath, cable TV, pool). That evening Steve approached me asking for a commission on the booking, but since I had already offered his friends a 20% discount I could not help him.

In the morning the new guests complained about our restaurant prices, saying (for example) that they usually have free breakfast included, and that they've never paid more than 30 Baht for coffee (we offer real, not instant coffee). This was not a good feeling for me, as I try my best to do what I can to make my guests feel happy, comfortable and relaxed.

Later that morning our guests left the resort for a while, and our maid took the opportunity to service their house. The guests arrived back before the cleaning was done, and were asked to wait just five minutes or so until their house was completely serviced. A few minutes later, they returned to the restaurant and claimed that the maid had stolen their son's Game Boy, and that they needed 300 Euros (13,000 Baht) to replace it. I kindly told them that I know my staff very well (and consider them family), and I would be very surprised if this were so. I also asked them why they did not use the safe provided in their house, and they just shrugged their shoulders at that point.

In the middle of this uncomfortable situation I had in mind to replace their son's Game Boy just to keep the peace and avoid any ill-feeling, although I knew too well that the toy was unlikely to have been stolen. I called a friend who after a quick search told me that a new Game Boy was available in Thailand for half that price, and a guest also did an eBay search to find the most expensive there at US$150 (4,425 Baht). I offered the couple to replace their child's Game Boy, but they insisted on wanting 300 Euros in cash, and made the remark that I was making a lot of money from my resort (not true) and therefore could easily afford to pay the money. The couple also refused to let me speak with their boy about this matter.

At that point I begun to realize that something was seriously wrong, so I called the police and asked them to come and investigate this problem. When I told our guests that the police were on their way to search my workers' house for the stolen toy, they said that they did not want any trouble with the police and promptly decided to check out immediately - I certainly did not in any way ask them to leave.

The next day I phoned Steve and asked him to please not to bring anymore guests to my resort, as I did not want any more trouble of this kind. I thought that was the end of this matter, and it is a surprise for me to see this matter being brought up in the Internet. I feel it is specially unfair since I don't use the Internet much at all.

I often go out of my way to please my guests, and many return year after year. I also go out of my way to avoid any trouble, and I feel that perhaps this is why I may have been targeted in this way."

I personally think that no amount of discussion here will resolve any of this matter, specially since the accused is not really able to defend herself here.

For what it's worth, those who know the resort owner also know her for her reputation as a very kind and extremely fair person.

There are always at least two sides to any story. Please take care when dealing with people's livelihoods.

jose '-)

(her thoughts, my words):

I read Jose post to mean that he spoke to the thai owner & has translated her words onto this post to give another side of the story.

IMO there is ALWAYS two sides to any story & if the op's friends claims are true then the police should have been called in as it is very worrying when someone feels they can make quite serious claims against a resort & the owner without following the right channels to report it. :o

Here's the other side to this story from the resort owner (her thoughts, my words):

"On Tuesday 8th January French Steve arrived at our resort with some friends, a couple from France with their son. They said they were looking to stay long-term, so I offered them a generous discount on one of our 1-bedroom houses (fully furnished, air-con, hot bath, cable TV, pool). That evening Steve approached me asking for a commission on the booking, but since I had already offered his friends a 20% discount I could not help him.

In the morning the new guests complained about our restaurant prices, saying (for example) that they usually have free breakfast included, and that they've never paid more than 30 Baht for coffee (we offer real, not instant coffee). This was not a good feeling for me, as I try my best to do what I can to make my guests feel happy, comfortable and relaxed.

Later that morning our guests left the resort for a while, and our maid took the opportunity to service their house. The guests arrived back before the cleaning was done, and were asked to wait just five minutes or so until their house was completely serviced. A few minutes later, they returned to the restaurant and claimed that the maid had stolen their son's Game Boy, and that they needed 300 Euros (13,000 Baht) to replace it. I kindly told them that I know my staff very well (and consider them family), and I would be very surprised if this were so. I also asked them why they did not use the safe provided in their house, and they just shrugged their shoulders at that point.

In the middle of this uncomfortable situation I had in mind to replace their son's Game Boy just to keep the peace and avoid any ill-feeling, although I knew too well that the toy was unlikely to have been stolen. I called a friend who after a quick search told me that a new Game Boy was available in Thailand for half that price, and a guest also did an eBay search to find the most expensive there at US$150 (4,425 Baht). I offered the couple to replace their child's Game Boy, but they insisted on wanting 300 Euros in cash, and made the remark that I was making a lot of money from my resort (not true) and therefore could easily afford to pay the money. The couple also refused to let me speak with their boy about this matter.

At that point I begun to realize that something was seriously wrong, so I called the police and asked them to come and investigate this problem. When I told our guests that the police were on their way to search my workers' house for the stolen toy, they said that they did not want any trouble with the police and promptly decided to check out immediately - I certainly did not in any way ask them to leave.

The next day I phoned Steve and asked him to please not to bring anymore guests to my resort, as I did not want any more trouble of this kind. I thought that was the end of this matter, and it is a surprise for me to see this matter being brought up in the Internet. I feel it is specially unfair since I don't use the Internet much at all.

I often go out of my way to please my guests, and many return year after year. I also go out of my way to avoid any trouble, and I feel that perhaps this is why I may have been targeted in this way."

I personally think that no amount of discussion here will resolve any of this matter, specially since the accused is not really able to defend herself here.

For what it's worth, those who know the resort owner also know her for her reputation as a very kind and extremely fair person.

There are always at least two sides to any story. Please take care when dealing with people's livelihoods.

jose '-)

First : it wasn't my friends ! it's a lie. It's just a customer that a met next door in the restaurant

Secondly : These people were just to remain 4 days, not more. It’s a lie

Thirdly : I never went to the evening to ask for a commission. It’s a lie

Fourthly : I went to see this person the day after and we spoke together about other things and also about a commission, but she said to me that she has thought that they was my friends and that consequently, she had made them a price.

I told her that they weren't my friends and following that, i left. In addition, i already sent has this resort, since 1 year and it had never problem before that !

Fifthly : The continuation of the history is impossible to check and in addition, it's not with me to judge that

I never spoke about anything with this person, i've just been used as mediator but i stopped quickly.

I recall you whom i have just asked for an advice on this forum and whom i've never spoken about the resort and even less to quote one person.

I don't know who you are Jose, but I know that you would like to make me in the trouble….

Steve from de Thong Sala (Phangan-guide.com) and Jose from........?

I don't know who you are Jose, but I know that you would like to make me in the trouble….

No trouble at all, Steve. I'm just reporting the other side of this story - giving the resort owner a chance to reply to what she justifiably perceives as an attack on her integrity and good reputation. And believe it or not, she would have liked to reveal more details about this story but I advised her against this.

And as per our private correspondence, I followed your wishes and didn't mention your name at all in my conversation with the resort owner. Obviously she already knew who you were, so there is nothing I can do about this.

Jose from Bantai.

jose '-)

I've known Jose for over 10 years now, he is not a trouble maker. I have known the owner of the resort for longer than that and she is not known for making trouble, being aggressive or making threats.

Steve, I did not see that as an attack on you but rather the owner of a resort refuting claims made about her and her place through someone she knows quite well, as is her right.

No trouble at all, Steve. I'm just reporting the other side of this story - giving the resort owner a chance to reply to what she justifiably perceives as an attack on her integrity and good reputation. And believe it or not, she would have liked to reveal more details about this story but I advised her against this.

And as per our private correspondence, I followed your wishes and didn't mention your name at all in my conversation with the resort owner. Obviously she already knew who you were, so there is nothing I can do about this.

Jose from Bantai.

jose '-)

Why are you do this ? It's not your business !? or you have certainly un website and you make booking with her......

I know that she is a good woman and i never spoke badly about her. This is the first place on this island that i've put in my website. She is still inside today…..

I've made a lot of publicity for her and for what ? for nothing.

She had a problem with a customer and now they left and why i'll have to be responsible for this problem ? Tell me !

You know what ! Every day on this island there are the robberies (go to the police station to hear that) and the guys who send the people at the different places are not responsible of these circumstances! NO?

You make me in another troubles because the thaïs don't like to speak about them, particularly when they are a problem into their places.

i think that you must stop about that as soon as possible and next time, forget me because i don't want any problems with anybody !

I came into the gulf of thailand 5 years ago and since that date, i've met always the guys who would like to do a problems or they'll look after the business of the others. Please, leave me alone.

I'm getting pretty fed up about this shit ! Thank you

Not only does there appear to be a lot of heresay in this thread but also there is the question of translation difficulties.

The matter should be brought before the police by the parties involved and not discussed willy nilly in here

Topic closed.

J