Thai Boyfriend Stole My Money

chinagal

Hello Ladies, and Gents,

I am an American and have been dating and living with a Thai boyfriend for the past year and a half in Chiang Mai. Everything was perfect, we had our occasional lovers' quarrel, but nonetheless, a very good relationship. About every 4-5 months, I would take a month long trip to the U.S. to visit family and stuff. And I generally leave 2 months of rent money plus a bit extra for boyfriend. Well, this past trip over Christmas was not so smooth.

One week after I left Thailand, the boyfriend had met another Thail girl. I found out the hard way, through friends that saw them together. That's when he had stopped answering my calls as well. It was eating me up alive knowing that he was driving around in the nice moto-cross bike that I had bought him, wearing the nice clothes that I had bought, spending my money and living it up; and worst of all, sleeping in my bed with another girl.

I need to stay here in the U.S. for a few more weeks; and I just felt so helpless. Thank goodness for two of my good friends, one is a male teacher from the U.K. and the other a Thai girlfriend. They went to my apartment, confronted the ex, took the moto-cross bike, and gave him 2 days to move out of the apartment.

Two days later, my friends returned to my apartment to pick up the keys and make sure that he has not already emptied the place. Well, not sure whether its the security camera that stopped the ex from pawning everything in my room, he had somewhat cooperated. The only thing was though he paid January's rent, he had already spent the remaining 12,000B in the bank. Then the situation got escalated now that money was in question and also it was hitting him that he had little possessions left. This was a really nice guy as I knew him. Whatever that possessed him (actually, obviously its the new fling), he is now a complete different person. He refused to reason with my friends and basically tried to claim every little thing that he did not own. And no explanation for the money just the fact that its spent.

I am torn but at the same time relieved that a potential nightmarish relationship is over. It could have been a lot worse, maybe if I was in Thailand when this happened, or if I did not have friends that stood up for me. Now I am worried that this ex becomes vindictive and seeks revenge with my friends. He knows where they work and live. The only thing I can think of doing is to threaten to call the police. I believe there are cameras at all ATMs, and he's made at least 10 withdrawals - well, 10 pictures in an ideal world.

So do you think I should contact the police to report the incident when I return to Thailand? I have no intentions to send him to jail, but I need a bit of leverage as a warning. The last thing I want is for him to hassle the very good friends who helped me out. He's not the murderous type, but with his changed behavior, I suspect he would break some windows and slash some tires.

Thanks for listening and hope you can shed some light on the situation for me.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ladies, and Gents,

I am an American and have been dating and living with a Thai boyfriend for the past year and a half in Chiang Mai. Everything was perfect, we had our occasional lovers' quarrel, but nonetheless, a very good relationship. About every 4-5 months, I would take a month long trip to the U.S. to visit family and stuff. And I generally leave 2 months of rent money plus a bit extra for boyfriend. Well, this past trip over Christmas was not so smooth.

One week after I left Thailand, the boyfriend had met another Thail girl. I found out the hard way, through friends that saw them together. That's when he had stopped answering my calls as well. It was eating me up alive knowing that he was driving around in the nice moto-cross bike that I had bought him, wearing the nice clothes that I had bought, spending my money and living it up; and worst of all, sleeping in my bed with another girl.

I need to stay here in the U.S. for a few more weeks; and I just felt so helpless. Thank goodness for two of my good friends, one is a male teacher from the U.K. and the other a Thai girlfriend. They went to my apartment, confronted the ex, took the moto-cross bike, and gave him 2 days to move out of the apartment.

Two days later, my friends returned to my apartment to pick up the keys and make sure that he has not already emptied the place. Well, not sure whether its the security camera that stopped the ex from pawning everything in my room, he had somewhat cooperated. The only thing was though he paid January's rent, he had already spent the remaining 12,000B in the bank. Then the situation got escalated now that money was in question and also it was hitting him that he had little possessions left. This was a really nice guy as I knew him. Whatever that possessed him (actually, obviously its the new fling), he is now a complete different person. He refused to reason with my friends and basically tried to claim every little thing that he did not own. And no explanation for the money just the fact that its spent.

I am torn but at the same time relieved that a potential nightmarish relationship is over. It could have been a lot worse, maybe if I was in Thailand when this happened, or if I did not have friends that stood up for me. Now I am worried that this ex becomes vindictive and seeks revenge with my friends. He knows where they work and live. The only thing I can think of doing is to threaten to call the police. I believe there are cameras at all ATMs, and he's made at least 10 withdrawals - well, 10 pictures in an ideal world.

So do you think I should contact the police to report the incident when I return to Thailand? I have no intentions to send him to jail, but I need a bit of leverage as a warning. The last thing I want is for him to hassle the very good friends who helped me out. He's not the murderous type, but with his changed behavior, I suspect he would break some windows and slash some tires.

Im afraid this is role reversal, your chances of getting your stuff back are very slim,if you gave him access to your goods, you permitted him to steal unfortunatly,( in the eyes of the law ) you will see many topics here where this has happened to men usually in LOS,,put it down to experience and use it, good luck,. Edited by mikethevigoman

i agree with mikethevigoman. pick up the pieces and move on. no point going to the police, as i think they would just laugh at you. hes probably changed his phone number by now (probably also bought a new phone with the money he nicked too) so you dont have much chance to confront him about anything.

its not right, but unfortunately thats the way it is here.

chin up. he could have got away with a lot more.

My sister had a Thai boyfriend, he was a member of a band in Mae Hong Son where she was teaching. She applied for and accepted a job in Japan but could not take him with her so he agreed to wait until she finished her contract (2 years) before moving to Australia to get married. He could not wait and chose to go off with a penniless Thai girl. My sister came back to Thailand to confront the Thai boyfriend and was attacked by the Thai girlfriend who told her ' stay away form my boyfriend and go find one of your own kind!'. He gave up a much better lifestyle for a local girl that offered nothing. That Thai fella had zero sense and could only think of what he was getting at that moment.

Hi Chinagal.

Sorry to hear of your problems but 'This Is Thailand'. In Pattaya, similar scenarios are repeated several times a day. Boy/girl Girl/girl Boy/ladyboy Boy/boy etc etc. "I lub you too mutt"

Here is a quote from another thread of how one walking wallet dealt with his problem.

I went to visit a few friends the other day 10km outside nongki,on a maine road situation highway 24,whilst sat there i saw numerous trucks with rubble,block cement ect keep turning up at a thai house,one of the guys there then tells me you hear what happen there i said no,he tells me the english guy built a 1.5 million baht house finnished only afew weeks ago,him n the misses had a argument,she went back to pattaya,the mother said to him give me 400 thousand baht then you can live there,he got a flat loader in with bulldozer & jcb ect,and flattened it, he had already gone to the police with all receipts and told them what he was doing,they said no problem,mother called police,they said to her your land his house cant stop him,now hes living with his cleaner at the house where the rubble was being dropped.anything like this happened near you,its certainly put fear into a lot of thais in my village and my woman as of late is treating me real good......... i wonder why.......on another good note the same guy tells me not to worry if you lost your receipts,just go back to the shop give the guy a few hundred baht and he will print you some up..........brilliant.....regards jay..

Hello Ladies, and Gents,

Welcome to the world of rent boys...did you learn anything from your experience :o

My sister had a Thai boyfriend, he was a member of a band in Mae Hong Son where she was teaching. She applied for and accepted a job in Japan but could not take him with her so he agreed to wait until she finished her contract (2 years) before moving to Australia to get married. He could not wait and chose to go off with a penniless Thai girl. My sister came back to Thailand to confront the Thai boyfriend and was attacked by the Thai girlfriend who told her ' stay away form my boyfriend and go find one of your own kind!'. He gave up a much better lifestyle for a local girl that offered nothing. That Thai fella had zero sense and could only think of what he was getting at that moment.

Maybe its not about "Lifestyle" or a better economic future alone?

Soci-cultural issues are very strong.

Maybe he was in love with the Thai girl?

I am sure I could get a girl on the same economic level as myself here in Asia but fell in love at one time with a penniless Thai girl - I was not checking her bank account at the time ;-)

Edited by Prakanong

My sister had a Thai boyfriend... He could not wait and chose to go off with a penniless Thai girl...He gave up a much better lifestyle for a local girl that offered nothing.

Except a girl that shares his own language and culture and "understands" his Thai nature. Maybe that is worth something to him :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Hello Ladies, and Gents,

I'm not sure what crime he's committed? He left your stuff in the apartment and kept the money you left for him. He even paid the January rent. he didn't threaten or commit violence even when two people outside the relationship turned up and told him to leave what he probably thought of as partly his possessions and motorbike and gave him 2 days notice to be homeless.

What are the police supposed to charge him with?

My sister had a Thai boyfriend... He could not wait and chose to go off with a penniless Thai girl...He gave up a much better lifestyle for a local girl that offered nothing.

Except a girl that shares his own language and culture and "understands" his Thai nature. Maybe that is worth something to him :o

Same reason the thai bgs keep there thai husbands whilst with their farang,.......

Same reason the thai bgs keep there thai husbands whilst with their farang,.......

exactly...you are starting to gain wisdom when one can understand this.

And all this over 12,000 baht? Is that not roughly the going rate for rent boys?

Haha, live and learn my dear, most farang men get ripped off for hundreds of thousands, or millions, I think you got off lightly :o

It does seem a rather small amount compared to most other stories of this nature - its a bar bill.

Maybe its the principle and not the amount :D

Dear Chinagal,

Until it happens to you you don't believe how common it is.

When friends and acquaintances tried to put me on my guard with the thai bluffer I would say 'no, really, this is a very nice guy, he's not like the others', it was only a matter of time.. I felt like a fool, but I soon realised how many people have been in the same boat and, worse, still are!

Here the cut is clear: there's a giver and there's a taker. If the taker doesn't take he must be stupid in the eyes of his fellows. But I'm so convinced that he will pay the bill at the end..

If I were you I'd look at it like this: lucky to have such nice friends to sort him out while you were away, not to have any children with him and not to have married him.

Now you are wiser. Smile and keep goin' :o

exactly...you are starting to gain wisdom when one can understand this.

NO NO, MINES DIFFERENT ! :D

Hello Ladies, and Gents,

I'm not sure what crime he's committed? He left your stuff in the apartment and kept the money you left for him. He even paid the January rent. he didn't threaten or commit violence even when two people outside the relationship turned up and told him to leave what he probably thought of as partly his possessions and motorbike and gave him 2 days notice to be homeless.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT HE'S DONE WRONG OTHER THAN CHANGE GF?

I can't.

Frankly, he could have a case to complain that the OP has taken away a motocross bike which was presumably given and accepted as a present. Is it normal to ask for presents back when you break up? Not in my world it isnt

Seems six of one, half a dozen of the other to me.

.......But I'm so convinced that he will pay the bill at the end......

They ALL will one day, but this doesn't really change anything!

@all: I lived with a thai female for 14 years, was married for 10, one morning she was gone, well prepared with a good part of the treasure chest, no pre-warning, none, nothing, no fight, no argument!

After all it turned out another Thai-male twisted her head but just for our money!

Now she is back "on the road", where she came from, everyone has the freedom of choice, some go for the quick an' easy... but it will turn against 'em!

As sure as the sun rises every morning!

Don't get hooked by "sweet mouth's"!

It's a jungle out there, so beware!

To only trust one self is the safest path to walk!

Hasn't to be the lonely path either.

If a partnership, relationship relies on materialistic foundations, forget it!

"Can't by me lo------ve!"

"Can't buy me love, love

Can't buy me love

I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend if it makes you feel alright

I'll get you anything my friend if it makes you feel alright

'Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

I'll give you all I got to give if you say you love me too

I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so

Can't buy me love, no no no, no

Say you don't need no diamond ring and I'll be satisfied

Tell me that you want the kind of thing that money just can't buy

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love "

- The Beatles -

I agree with Theyreallrubbish. I don't see the what crime he's committed. He cheated, yes. He spent or used things you HAVE GIVEN to him. What cops could do best is to go and talk to him to leave you alone peacefully after breaking up.

He refused to reason with my friends and basically tried to claim every little thing that he did not own. And no explanation for the money just the fact that its spent.

He didn't have to explain anything to your friends. It's between you and him.

I am sorry to hear this. It shouldn't happen to anybody. Get yourself together, it's new year new start.

Most likely had smth going on with the thai bird while you were there and decided to make the big break when you left thailand. Anyways 12K is small bit of dosh to be rid of him. Mind you thai(s) can go off the handle when they've lost face, so smth to keep in mind.

This is verging on troll but lets see where it goes hey?

I agree with the others who say he hasn't actually broken any law. So why would you threaten him to stay away from your frineds, he hasn't threatened them so you would be the one inciting agreesive behaviour. Leave it be & take it as a lesson learned.

One question, what was this guy doing when you were buying him a motocross bike & nice clothes & he was living rent free in your apartment & spending your money (presumably whilst you were there too) did he not have a job?

Sorry to say but you get what you pay for, if you had a lazy guy spending your money & expecting gifts from you then try to set your sights a bit higher, one with a job & means to support & contribute for himself might be a good start. Or did you used to date these kinds of guys in your own country too?? I doubt it very much so one must wonder why you think it's ok in Thailand!!!???

Cut your losses, don't have anything to do with him when you get back & in future have a bit of savvy, lay about with no money & you paying all the bills = BAD. Partner who works & contributes something (no matter how little) & who has some self respect not to be a kept person waiting for handouts = BAD. :o

Nice one Samuian! :o

There is also to say that, unfortunately, physical abuse inflicted by the male counterpart is something that often accompanies the stealing, cheating and ripping off as a way of threatening and keeping the female in what he thinks is her place. That's something quite scary most farang guys don't have to worry about. Though I read about some horror stories in the Pattaya Mail..

.......But I'm so convinced that he will pay the bill at the end......

They ALL will one day, but this doesn't really change anything!

@all: I lived with a thai female for 14 years, was married for 10, one morning she was gone, well prepared with a good part of the treasure chest, no pre-warning, none, nothing, no fight, no argument!

After all it turned out another Thai-male twisted her head but just for our money!

Now she is back "on the road", where she came from, everyone has the freedom of choice, some go for the quick an' easy... but it will turn against 'em!

As sure as the sun rises every morning!

Don't get hooked by "sweet mouth's"!

It's a jungle out there, so beware!

To only trust one self is the safest path to walk!

Hasn't to be the lonely path either.

If a partnership, relationship relies on materialistic foundations, forget it!

"Can't by me lo------ve!"

"Can't buy me love, love

Can't buy me love

I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend if it makes you feel alright

I'll get you anything my friend if it makes you feel alright

'Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

I'll give you all I got to give if you say you love me too

I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so

Can't buy me love, no no no, no

Say you don't need no diamond ring and I'll be satisfied

Tell me that you want the kind of thing that money just can't buy

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love "

- The Beatles -

Trollish posts have been removed. Trolling is against forum rules. Lets bear that in mind when posting please.

As for the OP, well, no advice to offer except give up any hope of seeing your money again and don't take him back if he comes crawling back to you when you return.

Nice one Samuian! :o

yep, I can smile now as well, but the hardest part was to get it!

I had values, believed in the 'good' of mankind, especially in the one, one "loves".... the following relationship was ended by death through breast cancer, a new relationship many months after that turned out to be a stalking, physical abuse, money, money, money, money, money, all imaginable tricks... nightmare "on Elm-Street"... continuing....nobody will or can help one in a case like this in this country - NO ONE EXEPT one self!

So make sure - BEFORE that u know the one next to u well ...before any commitments!

I ;learned it certainly the hard way - as it seems still learning....!

I have had relationships in farangland like this too... sometimes it is better to just walk away, the material stuff isn't important. Just consider yourself lucky that you aren't there and it isn't in front of your face. You are able to make a clean break. I also learned the same lesson- my first Thai boyfriend was one of those layabouts happy to spend my money and do nothing. It amazes me I hooked up with him but the culture was exotic and appealing and I wasn't paying attention to my normal standards. SOOO glad I got rid of him, even if I lost money to do so. He just called me yesterday actually, after 2 years of no contact. Full of stories about how he was going to do this and that to win me back- it's nice to be able to scoff at him. You will get over this guy- plenty of fish in the sea.

I have had relationships in farangland like this too... sometimes it is better to just walk away, the material stuff isn't important. Just consider yourself lucky that you aren't there and it isn't in front of your face. You are able to make a clean break. I also learned the same lesson- my first Thai boyfriend was one of those layabouts happy to spend my money and do nothing. It amazes me I hooked up with him but the culture was exotic and appealing and I wasn't paying attention to my normal standards. SOOO glad I got rid of him, even if I lost money to do so. He just called me yesterday actually, after 2 years of no contact. Full of stories about how he was going to do this and that to win me back- it's nice to be able to scoff at him. You will get over this guy- plenty of fish in the sea.
Well said, it could be advice for men and women,it amazes me still when the knights in bright shining armor get there girlfriend to give up bar work and go back to wait in the village while they get a visa.if one of these girls was worth her salt she would want to get a normal job,not to sit on her @ss in udonburilat or somewhere,we all know they love the nightlife and having friends around and as soon as the farang is in the air so is her @ss !,.ill go so far as to say if you have a single partner that dosent want to work or you dont want them to work you more than likely have a renta wife/husband,. Edited by mikethevigoman