Long-neck Tribes

Doza

I have never visited hill tribes in the north and especially would never visit the long-neck Padaung as I just assumed they would be controlled in some part by tourists operators and didn't like the "zoo" type scenario. But I have listened to arguments that these tribes derive an income from living in their traditional ways and allowing tourists into 'their' villages. Basically "its good for them".

Check out this article on the long-neck women:

Thai authorities refuse to release a valuable tourist attraction, writes Connie Levett, in Nai Soi, Thailand.

Zember was an original poster child for long-neck tourism - at 12, her neck coiled with brass rings, she sat on display at a Bangkok tourism fair - helping to create the buzz that drew gawkers from around the globe.

Now, aged 23, her neck is bare, the rings stripped off in anger after provincial authorities in Mae Hong Son, northern Thailand, refused to let her migrate to New Zealand, concerned about the negative impact on tourism of an exodus of long-neck women....

More here > Sydney Morning Herald

I take the view that the Long Kneck Tribes are being exploited as exhibits in a Human zoo (those of us who were in Thailand in the early 90s will also remember the case where some of these people where illegally transported to a site in Chiang Mai and kept in a 'village' - read zoo - under armed guard, until international pressure forced the Thai government to act).

The Long Kneck Tribes within Thailand are in truth Refugees with full UNHCR recognition and their display as a tourist attraction infringes a number of UN Conventions to which Thailand is a signatory.

I think similar concerns are valid for other 'Hill Tribe Visits't being offered as part of the Tourist Industry - people who are denied Thai Citizenship being used as an exhibit in the 'Visit Thailand Show'. There are however a number of pilot schemes in which the Hill Tribe People take a more active role in the use of their villages and culture as a tourist attraction and it is these more progressive programs that need to be encouraged.

The King himself has often spoken out against the exploitation of and denial of rights to Thailand's hill tribes - We should all of us listen to what he has said.

I am a member of the Long Dick tribe.

Maybe so !!! But Whats going to happen when you take the Rings Off ??? :o

my wife wants to know where she can buy these rings for me.

---------------------------

I've got some "slightly used"... :D

I take the view that the Long Kneck Tribes are being exploited as exhibits in a Human zoo (those of us who were in Thailand in the early 90s will also remember the case where some of these people where illegally transported to a site in Chiang Mai and kept in a 'village' - read zoo - under armed guard, until international pressure forced the Thai government to act).

The Long Kneck Tribes within Thailand are in truth Refugees with full UNHCR recognition and their display as a tourist attraction infringes a number of UN Conventions to which Thailand is a signatory.

I think similar concerns are valid for other 'Hill Tribe Visits't being offered as part of the Tourist Industry - people who are denied Thai Citizenship being used as an exhibit in the 'Visit Thailand Show'. There are however a number of pilot schemes in which the Hill Tribe People take a more active role in the use of their villages and culture as a tourist attraction and it is these more progressive programs that need to be encouraged.

The King himself has often spoken out against the exploitation of and denial of rights to Thailand's hill tribes - We should all of us listen to what he has said.

----------------------

Their problem is made worse by the use of herbal and other natural medicines... :o

I have never visited hill tribes in the north and especially would never visit the long-neck Padaung as I just assumed they would be controlled in some part by tourists operators and didn't like the "zoo" type scenario. But I have listened to arguments that these tribes derive an income from living in their traditional ways and allowing tourists into 'their' villages. Basically "its good for them".

Check out this article on the long-neck women:

Thai authorities refuse to release a valuable tourist attraction, writes Connie Levett, in Nai Soi, Thailand.

Zember was an original poster child for long-neck tourism - at 12, her neck coiled with brass rings, she sat on display at a Bangkok tourism fair - helping to create the buzz that drew gawkers from around the globe.

Now, aged 23, her neck is bare, the rings stripped off in anger after provincial authorities in Mae Hong Son, northern Thailand, refused to let her migrate to New Zealand, concerned about the negative impact on tourism of an exodus of long-neck women....

More here > Sydney Morning Herald

Typical grass hopper female journo. (And checking out her past there is some question of where or how she qualified)

Take a trip to Mae Hong Song. Decide for yourself. Connie is just someone with no knowledge of Thailand or its people.