Which Type Of Rubber Trees To Plant?

mcgbilly

Just purchased a 10 rai plot (near Udonthani) and my wife and I are going to see what happens with planting rubber trees on the 10 rai and go from there, but I have seen that there are several types (strains) of rubber trees. I understand the normal strain planted throughout Thailand since rubber tree farming began is the RIM 600. I have seen somewhere that a different strain, the PRIM 251 will produce approx. 40% more rubber than the RIM 600, but that the PB 35, and the RRIM 911 strains will produce possibly double the normal RIM 600 strains. Please excuse me if the PRIM-RIM-PB-RRIM info is incorrect, and feel free to clue me in on proper names of the different type strains, and yields if someone here knows.

I have been looking for info on this subject (nothing really detailed), and all I can find are small snippets of info, how much is correct, I don't know but am hoping to find out.

Thanks, :o

Just purchased a 10 rai plot (near Udonthani) and my wife and I are going to see what happens with planting rubber trees on the 10 rai and go from there, but I have seen that there are several types (strains) of rubber trees. I understand the normal strain planted throughout Thailand since rubber tree farming began is the RIM 600. I have seen somewhere that a different strain, the PRIM 251 will produce approx. 40% more rubber than the RIM 600, but that the PB 35, and the RRIM 911 strains will produce possibly double the normal RIM 600 strains. Please excuse me if the PRIM-RIM-PB-RRIM info is incorrect, and feel free to clue me in on proper names of the different type strains, and yields if someone here knows.

I have been looking for info on this subject (nothing really detailed), and all I can find are small snippets of info, how much is correct, I don't know but am hoping to find out.

mcqbilly, It would be extremely difficult for forum members to advise what particular strain of RT to plant ,location,soil type,water availability and a host of other things come into play.

Members will offer their own experiences with particular strains but I feel sure that few would want the responsibility of telling you to plant A rather than B.

The Agricultural Dept in Udonthani has extension officers with all the info you require ,plus they will come look at your land and give on the spot advise.

Many TV members are in the rubber business and I am sure advise will be forthcoming as you progress with your venture .

Meanwhile ,best of luck in your endeavour

Ozzydom

Hi MCGBilly,

Check these sources of information (mostly in Thai so you may need someone to help you read and then contact the relevant people/organizations):

http://www.rubberthai.com/ (also has info about prices and planting costs, etc - but in Thai)

http://www.irrdb.com/irrdb/About_Irrdb/Abo...tute/ThaiRI.htm

http://www.mm.helsinki.fi/mmeko/VITRI/FORR.../Report_Gr6.pdf

The following organization has offices in many provinces (they used to give away money for planting rubber, but not sure if they still do):

http://www.thailandrubber.thaigov.net/index_home.php

There was a rubber workshop in Laos in 2006 and you can find some of the papers (relevant to Thailand and written in English) here:

http://www.nafri.org.la/05_news/workshops/...bberworkshp.htm (click on links on right)

Another thing to consider is that a rubber tree normally comprises two varieties grafted together - the rootstock and the scion (the scion is the part above ground which you will eventually tap), so normally the rootstock is selected to match soil conditions, not the scion.

Good luck,

JB.

Edited by JungleBiker

• 1 month later...

Folk,

The PARA 600 trees are what the Agricultural ministry found to be the most resilient tree suited for most parts of Thailand. The PARA 600 is the grafted bit (scion) but I don't know what rootstock they're using. Any new planting MAY be subsidized by the govt. Once again, check with the Amphur or provincial office - could save you a bit of dosh.