Increases In Gas (diesel) Prices

jayenram

When I first visited Thailand in 1995, I vaguely recollect that the price of diesel was around Bht 11.00/litre.

When I moved to live here in 1999, I reckon it was Bht 14.00/litre.

As we all know it is now approximately Bht 30.00/litre.

Does anyone know of a website that gives the accurate information for, let's say, the last 20 years? I've searched the net extensively and the information does not appear to be available.

Otherwise does someone without altzheimers remember the yearly figures so that I can produce a graph?

Cheers

J

Note: I have found a couple of websites that indicate the pump prices over the years but it is given in US Dollars and there is no indication of the exchange rate that has been used in the conversion,

Edited by jayenram
Note added

Well a Thai told me a few years back when the sudden hike in the price came that the government stopped "helping" the diesel people. They did this because it cost several billion baht pr year to do this and they cant afford it. So now the rich people with a big engine have to pay for their own cconsumption. The poor people can still use farm land diesel or something like that?

Has anyone heard something simmilar?

When I bought my Ford Ranger in December 2001 I could fill the 70 litre tank for around 700 baht though it was only a little subsidised in those days.

Now in the village it is closer to 2,200 baht to fill it completely with unsubsided diesel and the gas station is still not making much more than it was in those days.

I am expecting it go rise higher throughout the year to perhaps 35 or 36 baht a litre.

That is why we bought a Yamaha Mio Fino scooter 15 months ago as it gets nearly 40 km a litre and is easier to pop into the village etc on that rather than the Ford. Tax and insurance on the Yamaha is less than 1,000 baht a year compared to around 20,000 for both on the Ford. Ranger gin maan mak.

:o:D :D

I believe gasoline was only 7 Baht/liter back in 1991. When I first visited Thailand in 1999, the price was 17.34 Baht/liter from what I remember. Diesel was a bit cheaper. Once Toxin got elected the second time, the subsidy on diesel ended and now it's around the same price as 91 gas. With palm oil/diesel mixtures and biodiesel as alternatives, I'm pretty diesel vehicle owners will be OK for a while. For those of us who use gasoline, we must either accept the price increases or convert to LPG.

I remember diesel being 8 baht a litre for quite a few years; certainly 1998 or there abouts.

Everyone is going lpg at the mo. Gf advises I can convert my Triton to lpg for 20,000 baht. Been away for a while, so let me search the forum on this... :o

I remember diesel being 8 baht a litre for quite a few years; certainly 1998 or there abouts.

Everyone is going lpg at the mo. Gf advises I can convert my Triton to lpg for 20,000 baht. Been away for a while, so let me search the forum on this... :o

20,000 b seems a bit low....it is more like 35,000

Edited by Who, me ?

When unleaded was under 10 Baht a liter I'd take a big V8 Landcruiser from Bangkok to Chiang Rai and back without a worry driving at top speed with no worries about fuel consumption. It was under 1000 Baht to fill it.

At 35 Baht I'd probably think twice as you could easily burn through 15,000 Baht making the trip.

I am not sure that it is possible to convert a diesel engine to LPG or NGV.

Gasoline engines certainly.

There was a motoring thread recently about it and the guy replaced the engine and gearbox with a gasoline engine and a auto gearbox.

I am not sure that it is possible to convert a diesel engine to LPG or NGV.

Gasoline engines certainly.

There was a motoring thread recently about it and the guy replaced the engine and gearbox with a gasoline engine and a auto gearbox.

NGV and diesel = OK.

Start saving with your driving style - can improve the mileage in the double digits.

True, not too long ago the liter was like 13 baht.

But surely we're overpaying now, whatever a "true value" of gasoline would be.

Or why else are all the oil multis celebrating bumper harvests.

As of today the barrel is down to nearly 90 dollars again - but you'd think they'd lower the prices at gasoline stations as fast as they raise them?

20,000=Thai price

35,000=Farang price

:o

Some initial research shows the lpg is more ideal for petrol engines. Will be back next week so lets see. Thing is my current pickup is about 1.5 years old, and still in its 3 year warentee, so not sure I want to convert it yet.