Lets get together in pattaya!

chonabot

:o

Chaps , I will be in good old Pattaya on the 11th August for about a week , would anyone care to join me for a few beers during that period?

Phil

ps in Bkk 9/10th also if any old hands would like to show me a few haunts I may not have visited before also?

I'm mid thirties, in the process of building a house in Isaan, been visiting Thailand for 15 years, would like to hear any tips first hand!

:D

Best wishes for Aug 10th Hukster. I had a Thai wedding ceremony not too far away - a village on the Surin side of Sisaket - quite an experience.

We're also planning to build a house there so will be interested to hear of your experiences Chonabot. I'm not in Thailand in August, still working in HK, otherwise would have liked to join you in Pattaya.

No Probs pnustedt, will let you know how the house goes ( or doesn't!) I have mates in Bkk and Pattaya, but it would have been interesting to meet a few of the characters from this board. :o  and continue some of the discussions :D

I think house building would make a good topic for a new thread. It was quite an experience let me tell you! I have since talked to several people about this and shared many interesting and funny stories. Seems it makes no difference if you are farang or Thai, the Thai contractors can be a real pain at times. I finally had to put my foot down, say to #### with customs and saving face, and tell the builder Im the boss! Anyway, the house came out great and we are happy with it and we are still neighbors and friends with the builder. I was in the construction business for 30 years but things are done a little differently in Thailand. I worked alongside the builders, because I enjoy it, and to keep an eye on them but others without knowledge of construction could benefit from our experiences and mistakes, Im sure. What do you think?

A housebuilding topic would help me but not sure how much demand there would be.

I've also had experience of building in UK and HK but have come to realise some frustrating differences in Thailand.

I've got a site, a design and, probably, a builder lined up. My plan was to appoint an architect (calculations on the design need checking, etc.) and get the arch. to supervise construction and pay buiilders in staged payments on issuance of an arch's certificate. I would not be permanently on site as most of my time would be in HK.

However, finding a local arch. (Sisaket) who can speak English and supervise to my requirements seems to be a problem and I think that I may have to delay until I can be permanently on site - what do you reckon?

You should be at the building site every day! My builder had the blue prints I drew and I explained everything several times but still he wanted to do things his way. I wanted 1 window in each bedroom but he insisted there wouldnt be enough light. I stuck to my guns and he did it my way. I have a British mate who left his Thai father in law to overseer the building while he was gone. When he got back the house was finished. He walked in the front door and was standing in a bedroom! Be your own general contractor and be on site AND make them do it your way. Write up a contract and dish the money out a little at a time. Good luck.

This would make a good TV documentary is anyone inclined is reading.  Building your house abroad, the perils, the pitfalls, the danger and the complete lack of competence that seems to be prevalent.

Do any competent Thai builders exist, or are they like leprachauns?

It could be very amusing for the viewers.

Regards  :o

Oh dear - looks like the project's going to be delayed and I'll be staying with the in-laws for a while! No wonder I get blank stares when I ask for an architect - no-one uses them locally.

The structure is RC platform on stilts with a fairly complicated roof but I'm pretty sure that the design is sound. I've checked out similar structures locally and the same building principles are incorporated.

There are competent builders around - they take some finding and they like to do things their way (like builders all over the world) as Tatom has found. Tks for your help.

p.s. Staying with my in-laws would make a good soap opera!