Free Web Space

jackbristol

Hey,

I need a few free web space pages to display a small amount of information. Can anyone recommend a decent free web space provider with minimal adverts? There seems to be so many on the net it would be good to get a recommendation.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards, Jack

• 5 weeks later...

Just found a great one: Zymic

2 GB of hosting space, 35 GB of monthly transfer, PHP, MySQL (& phpMyAdmin), FTP access, no ads. If they like your site they'll give you a free top level domain.

They limit what type of files can be on the site, but they are much less restrictive than any other free host i've come across. I tried uploading .zip files, .rar, .avi etc. and all were allowed.

• 3 months later...
An update - after a recommendation I've used www.weebly.com and they are excellent. Very user-friendly and well designed site with no ads. Highly recommended for anyone who needs webspace.

Cheers, Jack

Weebly is great!

Thanks for the recommendation.

One question though, is there a limit to the amunt of stuff I could post there?

Just found a great one: Zymic

I know that is an old post, but I'd be very wary of any host that can't even get their home page to render properly in Firefox or Safari.

I've never noticed any rendering errors in FF2 or FF3, what do you see? Regardless, they were outperforming my paid hosting last time i tested the two. They're the best free host i've used so far.

what do you see?

Text on top of other text, text overflowing the placeholders, buttons on top of text, huge amount of white space on either side etc. It's basically just mangled. Safari handles it a bit better than FF. This is on a Mac/Leopard BTW.

Anyway, I don't suppose it matters much, and free is free. :o

This is on a Mac/Leopard BTW.

There ya go. Problem explained! The site looks fine in all IE Browsers.

Which is why I wouldn't want to deal with a web host that doesn't care about standards compliance. If they only care about visitors who use IE they probably don't care much about security or privacy also.

Which is why I wouldn't want to deal with a web host that doesn't care about standards compliance. If they only care about visitors who use IE they probably don't care much about security or privacy also.

As the Thai ppl love to say... up to you. After all, you get what you pay for!

This is on a Mac/Leopard BTW.

There ya go. Problem explained! The site looks fine in all IE Browsers.

I'm not trying to defend them or anything, i just thought it was odd because i don't see any rendering errors at all and i've tried FF2 and FF3. I don't use IE except for website testing and the occasionally fubared site. Are you running any extensions that might cause this?

I'm not trying to defend them or anything, i just thought it was odd because i don't see any rendering errors at all and i've tried FF2 and FF3. I don't use IE except for website testing and the occasionally fubared site. Are you running any extensions that might cause this?

I don't think so, only extensions are AdBlock and FlashBlock, version 2.0.0.14 of FF.

post-19931-1212413770_thumb.png

^ That's because you appear to have the default font set for two sizes larger than the standard. In FF [Ctrl]+[+] to enlarge or [Ctrl]+[-] to reduce.

Regards

PS This is a common design issue, if one uses CSS rather then images for links there's always a risk that a visitor with a larger font set as their default, possibly for eye strain or eyesight reasons, will see an odd rendering, whereas is one does everything like menus with images then the changes are less obvious.

Edited by A_Traveller

Guest Bellini

Traveller, I found the same. However, it happens only when increasing the display fonts (Ctrl++) in Firefox, not in IE. My question: in such case, is the display problem due to a design fault in Firefox or a coding error in the website?

I get the same overlapping with some online newspapers I read, again only with Firefox and not with IE.

Thanks for that A_Traveller,

I have the standard FF font set to Times at 16 with min font size also set to 16. I can't use ⌘ - to shrink the text size below minimum. I did just try to load the page with min font size set to none, it was unreadable but it was possible to bump up the text with ⌘ + until it all rendered nicely. Unfortunately when all the text fits into its correct place it is still too small to be comfortably readable on my screen resolution; I think my eyes are not what they used to be :o

Anyway, my sincere apologies to all for taking the thread off topic.

Without hijacking the thread I hope, difference in display are usually down to IE's, especially 6, view of the world. The box model has been defined and FF etc. adhere to it. IE 7 is a bit better, but commonly sites are coded for one browser {usually IE here, the Nation is a good 'bad' example of this with display incorrect and video usually unavailable in FF}. IE7 has a feature called zoom which works in a different manner to the [Ctrl] function everyone else uses :o

IE 8 may end up being no better, unless a user knows how to toggle in standards compliance.

Regards

PS In this specific case the page has 2 style sheets which control presentation, 1 for IE and one for everyone else.It's wrong to say there is an error in FF since the page is expanding driven by content as it should do, however, the underlying design doesn't expand gracefully, so if there is an error it's in the design, which would not be detected by a standards sweep. In IE zoom uses a 'flattering' technique which masks this issue.

Edited by A_Traveller