Moto Accident

I was in thailand for a holiday 4 months ago..The holiday was going fine and i was staying with a girl i had prevously met in LOS the time before..Two days to go until my flight home to the uk and i have an accident on a hired moto,anyway i managed to break my foot and hand in the fall.After seeing the doctor and getting my wounds dressed i telephoned the owner of the moto..He actually seemed quite calm about the situation but came up with a figure for the damage which was far to high.we bartered for a time,me explaining that this was the end of my holiday and that i only had 15000 baht left(he wanted 55000)..After a while of trying to expain this to him and him not really understanding i decided the best course of action was to take the matter to the tourist police,which we did....down at the station the mood was easier as i had somebody to translate for me..after some more haggling we agreed that i shoould pay him 15000 now and he would give me his bank account details and on me returning to blighty i would pay him the other 15000..I signed a brief agreement and gave hime the 15000 i had on me and we shook hands...

ok this is where the problem began...after arriving at heathrow i borded the underground to my house(on crutches and with broken hand this was difficult in rush hour london with all the luggage i was carrying)anyway i ended up losing the bag with the bank account details in...I reported this to the transport police tube office ect...I contacted the thai girl i am friendly with and she told me not to worry about it....i tried to get her to find 'man for moto'but she said she couldnt....

The problem i have is that this is a very petty situation(and one which i could easily afford not to be in)and from reading some of the mb's these are the kind of things which can cause strythe at the airport on arrival.Im no ip off merchant and will pay this 'man for moto'as soon as i arrive in the LOS.

Does anyone on here know the likelyhood of problems arising from this???

Instead of contacting the police you have let 4 months pass? Or did I misread? I would say it is very likely you will have problems if you return to Thailand in one form or another but don't believe anyone can say for sure what or how they might occur. And of course he may not have taken any action.

I would write the tourist police at the location this happened and try to make contact/obtain the bank information and make amends before travel to Thailand; and especially to the same area. This is really too small a thing to risk serious trouble.

I was in thailand for a holiday 4 months ago..The holiday was going fine and i was staying with a girl i had prevously met in LOS the time before..Two days to go until my flight home to the uk and i have an accident on a hired moto,anyway i managed to break my foot and hand in the fall.After seeing the doctor and getting my wounds dressed i telephoned the owner of the moto..He actually seemed quite calm about the situation but came up with a figure for the damage which was far to high.we bartered for a time,me explaining that this was the end of my holiday and that i only had 15000 baht left(he wanted 55000)..After a while of trying to expain this to him and him not really understanding i decided the best course of action was to take the matter to the tourist police,which we did....down at the station the mood was easier as i had somebody to translate for me..after some more haggling we agreed that i shoould pay him 15000 now and he would give me his bank account details and on me returning to blighty i would pay him the other 15000..I signed a brief agreement and gave hime the 15000 i had on me and we shook hands...

ok this is where the problem began...after arriving at heathrow i borded the underground to my house(on crutches and with broken hand this was difficult in rush hour london with all the luggage i was carrying)anyway i ended up losing the bag with the bank account details in...I reported this to the transport police tube office ect...I contacted the thai girl i am friendly with and she told me not to worry about it....i tried to get her to find 'man for moto'but she said she couldnt....

The problem i have is that this is a very petty situation(and one which i could easily afford not to be in)and from reading some of the mb's these are the kind of things which can cause strythe at the airport on arrival.Im no ip off merchant and will pay this 'man for moto'as soon as i arrive in the LOS.

Does anyone on here know the likelyhood of problems arising from this???

This is a guess but I doubt you would encounter any problems. Don't take that to the bank though

Ok.so i i think i may have found a way of finding this guys name out and then hopefully finding his account details so this matter can be cleared up...If on the other hand this fails can anyonone give sensible suggestions upon what mith happen if i risk going before sorting this out.ie..what will happen if im stopped at bkk by immigration??will they give me a chance to pay up and then it will be ok???(i very much doubt the latter..lol)

any suggestions appreciated

I doubt you will have any problem with Immigration when you come back.

However Nam Kao does have a point.

You can write to the Tourist Police, but I would not bank on getting a letter back.

Best to visit them as soon as you arrive and get the bank details.

They can also summon the other guy and then you pay the money in the police presence, and they will write up a statement accordingly. That way there is no argument later that the money was not paid

What kind of bike did you rent? If he let you go, with a promise to pay when you get home, it is most likely he overcharged you in the first place. Look at it this way, if the damage was really for 55,000 baht, they never would have let you leave the country....that you can take to the bank!

Quote: "I contacted the thai girl i am friendly with and she told me not to worry about it....i tried to get her to find 'man for moto'but she said she couldnt...."

She probably only went as far as looking out of her bedroom window. Like she says don't worry about it.

WHO exactly assessed the damage cost and what damages were there to the bike?

Gazza

Trust me guys,I wasnt going the speed of sound when i crashed but somehow everything on the moto got obliterated.oh and it was a CBR400(about 6 years old).A thai guy told me the same about the price(55000 gets another one)

I really do want to pay this guy and im sure 30000 is what it would have cost to be repaired..I mean imagine if he has caused aload trouble over this and he makes it difficult or in impossible for me to return??what a bummer that would be,no more LOS.

But at the moment i cant help thinking he may have thought that i delibereatly ripped him off(not true)and that it may have got his back up,therefore he make sure 'felang pay in other way'...well anyway thanks for the positive responses so far guys...but im still losing sleep over this one...Does anyone know the what the worst case scenario would be if he did go to the police????(no jokes about being buggered in a thail jail please)

It probably is a fair amount for the damages. Also taking into account the loss of rental income while the bike is 'out of business'.

Ask your friend again to search for the guy telling her that you'll give her x amount of money when you return if she's sucessful. Best of luck.

Come to think of it, did you give him a photocopy of your passport when hiring the bike?

Gazza

I sold a CBR 400 for about 40k a few months ago. I think you would be hard pressed to pay more than 15k for anything but a full writeoff.

I say as most people here, forget about it. Thais will generaly try to assess how much they can get out of you and go for that figure, regardless of the real amount. He tried to go for 55k, then 30k, got 15k ... hey, 100% profit is better than nothing.

Learn from the experience. DO NOT RENT FROM THE BEACH ROAD BOYS! Particularly, do not rent big bikes for cruising around Pattaya. The traffic is bad enough as it is, you really have no need for all that machinery. If you really feel you must show off your manhood to the ladies rent a car (not one of the Beach Road Jeeps, a real car with A/C) now there is something that will wet their pants. If you must rent a bike, use one of the established shops such as Mai Peng, I have yet to hear anyone being had by them.

Lovethailandlongtime............i think most posters are saying the same as i told you when you p.m'd me for advice, dont worry about it just enter the country as normal and if you want to pay the guy go see him with a Thai friend/Tourist Police who can explain whats happened........i/d be more worried about bumping into him when your on a night out and him remembering you if you havn't squared him up first!

if you'd really be serious about paying the rest of the money you could have contacted the police station. your obviously not a newcomer to thailand and would know how to handle this.

but dont worry, much worse things happen here on an hourly basis and thais keep their heads up straight.

he's probably already forgotten your face and never ever expected to be paid back.

just avoid the area on a next trip.

lovethailandlongtime, the police nor immigration will not get involved as it is too small an amount, if u feel the bike owner is justified in claiming such a large amount then pay him when u get back, if u dont want to pay him then try not to meet him again.

i just bought all new body panels for one of my bikes, ok its only a 125cc, but with parts labour and stickers it was less than 5,000baht, thats from front mudgaurd upto light casing..the whole lot..

lovethailandlongtime, the police nor immigration will not get involved as it is too small an amount, if u feel the bike owner is justified in claiming such a large amount then pay him when u get back, if u dont want to pay him then try not to meet him again.

i just bought all new body panels for one of my bikes, ok its only a 125cc, but with parts labour and stickers it was less than 5,000baht, thats from front mudgaurd upto light casing..the whole lot..

This may be some of the best advice in this thread. What are the chances that immigration and police will be involved in this matter? probably not great. The moto guy was likely ripping you anyhow