Big Mango Index - Where Do You Shop?

danone

Thoughts:

* The price difference on fresh items is likely to affect the result a lot more than relatively standard items like 6 cans of Heineken.

* Also imported items will affect the result a lot.. I wouldn't even bother inlcuding items such as imported olive oil into any comparison. Also for year-on-year comparisons this is a bit iffy as currency fluctuations will have their impact.

* A main advantage for some chains is that they have their own brand for certain items, which is usually cheaper but can't be compared very well.

* Fresh vegetables is best bought at regular markets anyway as this will save a ton of money.

* They didn't include Makro, which is cheaper still if you can buy in larger units.

There's problems right from the beginning if they consider the Big Mac Index to be "arguably the world’s most accurate financial indicator."

The basket of goods they use isn't that useful to me. It's mainly stuff that Thai people don't buy or eat, and for the most part neither do I, and the prices are skewed because of that and don't provide a reliable indicator of which store offers the best prices overall when you remove the stuff that is mainly purchased by farang. A basic basket of goods such as chicken breast, pork, instant noodles, cooking oil, etc would be more accurate rather than items whose prices are skewed because they are rare or imported.