Official State Mourning Extended To 100 Days.

gengKeowWaan

Hi.

Just joined the forum, although been living in Thailand on and off for several years.

I'd just like to post a comment about the recent passing-away of the the eldest sister of King Bhumibol.

The Princess was a much loved member of the Royal family, giving much of her time to attending to the needs of others, especially the poor and needed people in Thailand. She will be missed by the many people she assisted and befriended during her long life.

Long live His Majesty King Bhumibol!

Hi.

Just joined the forum, although been living in Thailand on and off for several years.

I'd just like to post a comment about the recent passing-away of the the eldest sister of King Bhumibol.

The Princess was a much loved member of the Royal family, giving much of her time to attending to the needs of others, especially the poor and needed people in Thailand. She will be missed by the many people she assisted and befriended during her long life.

Just a sidebar....my GF had to make a trip to the local police station and they sent her out because of her dress, seems it did not meet the prescribed mourning dress code. Also, they questioned why she looked so happy! :o

Hi.

Just a sidebar....my GF had to make a trip to the local police station and they sent her out because of her dress, seems it did not meet the prescribed mourning dress code. Also, they questioned why she looked so happy! :o

I think only Thais should follow this practice of the mourning dress code.

***offensive comment removed**sbk

I've read that the 100 day mourning period is ostensibly just 'voluntary'.

Also, I thought that the dress code was black only for the mourning period, with the only exception being a black suit and tie with a white shirt, for men.

And I personally think it's neat that so many people dress in the same colour without coercion.

There's no extension. From the very outset, civil servants were ordered to observe mourning dress code for 100 days, every one else for 15 days - get your facts straight.

Wrong Turn - Your disrespectful tone is typical of your sort.

Youngandrice - Correct, I wouldn't believe anything you heard.

Why wouldn't people believe him? Do people think that all Thais think this is the only way to mourn? Many consider it unnecessary, much like the yellow shirt wearing.

Agreed. When my Thai co-workers read that it would be extended to 100-days for all government employees (schools included), from the previously stated 15-day, there were comments such as "Excessive," and "Too much." The Bangkokpost did have an update last evening stating that it is "voluntary," and not mandatory as some government members had hoped for.

Edited by frodo

Voluntary 100-day mourning period to mark death of late Princess

BANGKOK, Jan 15 (TNA) – The Thai Cabinet on Tuesday resolved to encourage government employees observe a 100-day mourning period for the death of Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Vadhana on a voluntary basis, according to Prime Minister's Office Minister Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan.

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej's elder sister passed away on January 2 after a long battle with abdominal cancer. She was 84.

The extended 100-day mourning period for the late Princess for government employees can be observed on a voluntary basis, said Prime Minister's Office Minister Khunying Dhipavadee Meksawan.

The government earlier instructed government employees to observe mourning for 15 days and that Thai national flags at government offices and public buildings should be flown at half-mast. (TNA)-E004

I hope this clears up any confusion.

And since this seems to be such an inflammatory topic for some posters...

//CLOSED//